[REMOVE ADS]

Love makes me do foolish things

I have recently gained great respect and awe at Diana’s vocal on Love Makes
    Me Do Foolish Things. In the past I just played it with minimal attention. I now think it is one of her most outstanding vocal recordings. Her vocal is so intimate, sensitive, and deep.

Thank you for reminding me of this song. I just went back to revisit it; and you're right, Diana's interpretation is on point. I also love the instrumental arrangement which sounds more current, for than time, than the original. Also, I don't know, for a fact, who is doing the backing vocals; however, they sit so beautifully in the song.

while the original will always be the pinnacle, i agree that Diana's version is very very good. in and of itself, it could have been a single for the sups too. it's a wonderful rendition with a great backing track and a very passionate lead by diana

It’s an extremely close call, but i actually prefer Diana’s version to Martha’s.
    Single wise it was just to old fashioned to follow the psychedelic “Reflections”, sounding out of place even on the album.
    Diana at her emotive best on this one.

you got me relistening to this, yes it's a great arrangement and vocals, is she referencing the Supremes in the ad lib at the end or am I misinterpreting her words?

Quote Originally Posted by mindful1 View Post
    you got me relistening to this, yes it's a great arrangement and vocals, is she referencing the Supremes in the ad lib at the end or am I misinterpreting her words?
    I've always wanted to ask that, lol.

Was this track recorded in the DMF or DMC era?

it was recorded during the DMF era but only Diana and the A's are on the track. Diana did her leads on 10/24 and 25 1966. the As did their vocals on 11/17 and 22.

there are no dates listed for M and F singing on this song. maybe if we get the Reflections EE we'll find more dates

Diana Ross is heaven on this song not many can capture her Interpretation of a song

I know it takes me awhile to understand the joke sometimes; however, seriously, I don't 'get it' when you spoke of referencing the Supremes in the ad lib at the end. I went back to listen to it [[from the Reflections album) and didn't catch any words or phrases referencing the Supremes. Thanks for any clues you can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I know it takes me awhile to understand the joke sometimes; however, seriously, I don't 'get it' when you spoke of referencing the Supremes in the ad lib at the end. I went back to listen to it [[from the Reflections album) and didn't catch any words or phrases referencing the Supremes. Thanks for any clues you can provide.
    On you tube the first clip that comes up when you search -Love makes me do foolish things by the Supremes -at 2:28-32 It sounds like she says "oh excites the Supremes" [[love does)

I used to think she might be saying "sigh The Supremes" but I realized it's "sadness it brings". Martha uses the same phrase at the same point in her version.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it was recorded during the DMF era but only Diana and the A's are on the track. Diana did her leads on 10/24 and 25 1966. the As did their vocals on 11/17 and 22.

there are no dates listed for M and F singing on this song. maybe if we get the Reflections EE we'll find more dates
    I also think the background vocals and instrumentation are perfect.

I agree. It is a fantastic performance. Ross didn’t always wail or shout in the tradition of most rhythm and blues singers, but she could when she wanted to like on this one and probably her most famous such style was used on the great “Love is Like an Itchin’ in my Heart.”

On this one, I really like the way the tension builds up from the beginning until the climax of the song. The singer is angrier than in the Martha Reeves version, although she still seems to have given up all hope, but the vibe is certainly not nearly as understated or subdued, and presents a nice difference in contrast compared to the original version. Both are very well done but honestly I have a hard time picking a favorite now that I’ve listened to this again.

Lets hear it! I had forgotten how great she was on this one. Thanks!

Last edited by kenneth; 12-09-2022 at 09:09 AM.

At 2:00, I love how she says “soooooo” long after you’ve gone. Subtle yet powerful.

This is a coming of age song. The young girlish fantasy of love is not happening. Love has made a fool of her, and she is learning of her own frailties. Ross was at the perfect age to sing this in 1966. I wonder if she was singing this about Berry.

On you tube the first clip that comes up when you search -Love makes me do foolish things by the Supremes -at 2:28-32 It sounds like she says "oh excites the Supremes" [[love does)
    Oh, I still had to play several clips before I finally caught it.... I think. Was it her phrase "oh the sadness it brings."? Isn't it amazing how each of us hear different words in a song? From the first time I ever heard it, I always heard "oh, the sadness it brings."
    The topic of misheard lyrics often comes up; and my personal reflection is "A Lover's Concerto" where my friends and I thought Diana was singing "see Berry on the hill" instead of "see there beyond the hill". LOL

Also, Diana’s diction and enunciation is exquisite.