[REMOVE ADS]

Intended For Diana Ross, "Hot Little Love Affair"

According to Keisha, she was asked to demo this song originally intended for Diana. It opened the door for interest in Keisha instead. I assume this was when Diana was ready to record again after re-signing with Motown. I like it, but don't think it really fits Diana, lyrically. She didn't typically do these kinds of subject songs. But I think the chorus would have been interesting to hear Diana do. Any other songs you can think of that was intended for Diana?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    According to Keisha, she was asked to demo this song originally intended for Diana. It opened the door for interest in Keisha instead. I assume this was when Diana was ready to record again after re-signing with Motown. I like it, but don't think it really fits Diana, lyrically. She didn't typically do these kinds of subject songs. But I think the chorus would have been interesting to hear Diana do. Any other songs you can think of that was intended for Diana?

I consider it a good song. It would have made for the perfect lead single from the often [[imo) harshly criticised WO” set. Quite a few of the songs from Keisha's 89 album are also commercial sounding and a good match for Diana’s voice.
    The only down side being it might have suffered the “WO” fate of being recorded in to high a key.
    If only Diana had mixed the new jack swing vibe with something a little more traditionally r&b, it might have proven one of her very best.
    As it stands, it still makes my top ten.
    “This house, is built on a foundation of love”.

Yeah, I figured the producers heard that Diana was going for a New Jack feel for her new album and thought this might make the cut.

Wasn't "Islands In the Stream" intended for Diana also?

Yeah, I figured the producers heard that Diana was going for a New Jack feel for her new album and thought this might make the cut.

‘Twas ever thus’
    An expanded Workin’ Overtime would be most welcome. I wonder if all songs recorded for the project were included on the album?. I’m guessing yes, but one remains forever hopeful.

Yes it was.

Another story that circulates widely is that The Bee Gees initially wrote the song as a "R&B tune" with Marvin Gaye in mind, which then would make it logical to turn it into duet with Ross. That would have been nice!

Hmmmm interesting but I am glad Diana didn't record it. The song does not really go anywhere. "It Ain't Nothing but A Hot Little Love Affair" ? What is the alternative ? I just didn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Another story that circulates widely is that The Bee Gees initially wrote the song as a "R&B tune" with Marvin Gaye in mind, which then would make it logical to turn it into duet with Ross. That would have been nice!
    That is a nice story but sadly not true. Barry always intended the song as a proposed duet between himself and Ms Ross. He was not best pleased when she turned down the song. Many of the songs meant for her were recorded by Kenny Rogers on his Eyes that see in the dark album.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    That is a nice story but sadly not true. Barry always intended the song as a proposed duet between himself and Ms Ross. He was not best pleased when she turned down the song. Many of the songs meant for her were recorded by Kenny Rogers on his Eyes that see in the dark album.
    Have you any idea as to exactly why Diana turned down the song Bluebrock?. It’s hard to contemplate a duet between the two singers as being a match made in heaven. Perhaps Diana and Lionel or Kenny himself might have worked nicely.

I’m guessing she thought
    oh no not ANOTHER duet

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I’m guessing she thought
    oh no not ANOTHER duet
    Perhaps she was reluctant to perform with a singer who wore such extremely tight trousers. Just a thought.

He haw …. Didn’t stop her from wiggling with Adam ant

seriously duets are a pain to
    Pull off when your career is touring as a soloist

He haw …. Didn’t stop her from wiggling with Adam ant

seriously duets are a pain to
    Pull off when your career is touring as a soloist
    Good point, but surely a potential hit from the pen of such a prolific hit maker is to good an opportunity to pass on.

Yes like chain reaction
    It’s just the duet aspect .
    Every time Diana performs ENDLESS LOVE live there’s something lesser about it.
    that they’ve never performed it together [?] is rather beyond bizarre.

Yes like chain reaction
    It’s just the duet aspect .
    Every time Diana performs ENDLESS LOVE live there’s something lesser about it.
    that they’ve never performed it together [?] is rather beyond bizarre.
    They performed it on the Oscars in 1982.

Out of prudence.

And then never again [?] in the following forty years since !!!
    somebody don’t like somebody

which is a shame because that performance was spot on .

Out of prudence.

And then never again [?] in the following forty years since !!!
    somebody don’t like somebody

which is a shame because that performance was spot on .
    Diana admitted that she had a problem with Lionel's working style, not being punctual, that sort of thing. But a real dislike? I doubt it. They did work together again on MISSING YOU.

Ooo - Kay

'missing you' ….but not all that much apparently
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-13-2022 at 03:24 AM.

The song is as generic as they come. Good move, Diana.

Ooo - Kay

'missing you' ….but not all that much apparently
    Just a bit around the edges perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Have you any idea as to exactly why Diana turned down the song Bluebrock?. It’s hard to contemplate a duet between the two singers as being a match made in heaven. Perhaps Diana and Lionel or Kenny himself might have worked nicely.
    My personal opinion is because she could not bear to be unfavourably compared to Ms Streisand who has been Ms Ross's idol for well over 50 years. I have only known Ms Ross to be intimidated by one person, and that one person was Ms Streisand. She was literally in awe of the woman and listened to her music regularly. Ms Streisand was still hot from the Guilty project, and i do firmly believe she thought it too soon to be seen following in her idols footsteps by duetting with Barry. This is just my personal opinion based upon what i have seen and heard. I do know that she later regretted the decison and subsequently pursued Barry to write and produce a project for her, and we all know how that turned out.
    It was perhaps her biggest mistake of the 80's. Bigger perhaps than her foolhardy decisions to overlook Quincy to produce the Fools project and MJ to produce more of the Silk Electric sessions.

My personal opinion is because she could not bear to be unfavourably compared to Ms Streisand who has been Ms Ross's idol for well over 50 years. I have only known Ms Ross to be intimidated by one person, and that one person was Ms Streisand. She was literally in awe of the woman and listened to her music regularly. Ms Streisand was still hot from the Guilty project, and i do firmly believe she thought it too soon to be seen following in her idols footsteps by duetting with Barry. This is just my personal opinion based upon what i have seen and heard. I do know that she later regretted the decison and subsequently pursued Barry to write and produce a project for her, and we all know how that turned out.
    It was perhaps her biggest mistake of the 80's. Bigger perhaps than her foolhardy decisions to overlook Quincy to produce the Fools project and MJ to produce more of the Silk Electric sessions.
    i do think it would have generated comparisons. even though there was a year or two between the songs, it was still a narrow window. plus by 83 [[when Islands was released) there was a very strong anti-disco feeling in the US. anything Bee Gees, John Travolta, disco, etc was really met with disdain. the Gibbs were fine working behind the scenes as a producer but i think Barry singing the song in 83 would have resulted in an instant failure. internationally might be a different story. but Diana needed big US hits. I think duetting with Kenny would have been ok. but perhaps another more major US pop star

This is my first time hearing this track even though I often saw the cd in the record stores. I really like it. With some lyric changes, I can actually hear Gladys Knight doing this more than Diana. It would have fit right in on the Pips' last album ALL OUR LOVE.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    The song is as generic as they come. Good move, Diana.
    Bravo indeed. Diana’s ability in selecting hit material is practically legendary.
    “So Close”, “Pieces Of Ice”, “Up Front”, Eaten Alive”, “Shock Waves” etc etc etc.
    That kind of natural musical intuition is a gift that can never be taught.

Bravo indeed. Diana’s ability in selecting hit material is practically legendary.
    “So Close”, “Pieces Of Ice”, “Up Front”, Eaten Alive”, “Shock Waves” etc etc etc.
    To be fair, they may not have been hits, but most of them aren't generic either. Just memorable for the wrong reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    To be fair, they may not have been hits, but most of them aren't generic either. Just memorable for the wrong reasons.
    Diana was always at her best when micro-managed, leaving production and song selection to those more skilled.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This is my first time hearing this track even though I often saw the cd in the record stores. I really like it. With some lyric changes, I can actually hear Gladys Knight doing this more than Diana. It would have fit right in on the Pips' last album ALL OUR LOVE.
    I agree about Gladys.

Hearing Keisha talk about it led me to it. I had never heard it before. I do remember Keisha getting some publicity action from Right On, Black Beat, Fresh mags back in the day but can't say I ever heard her music played on the radio.

Absolutely.

For the record, based off of what Keisha said, the track didn't get as far as Diana to even turn it down. Someone heard the demo and was more interested in the singer singing it- Keisha- and it led to her first album.

Diana was always at her best when micro-managed, leaving production and song selection to those more skilled.
    Production is a talent and it really would have served some artists- such as Diana- very well to think of it that way and realize that the production side was not the gift God gave her. Her decision to refrain from yielding to those better suited to the job mars an otherwise remarkable career of music.

I agree about Gladys.

Hearing Keisha talk about it led me to it. I had never heard it before. I do remember Keisha getting some publicity action from Right On, Black Beat, Fresh mags back in the day but can't say I ever heard her music played on the radio.
    When the record came out, I can remember Keisha and Millie making an appearance on BOBBY JONES GOSPEL, of all things. Although her albums didn't do well, I recall seeing Keisha on quite a few television programs as a backup vocalist for other artists, as well as her mom. Currently, I believe Keisha performs with some of the children of Sam Cooke and Betty Wright.

Absolutely.

For the record, based off of what Keisha said, the track didn't get as far as Diana to even turn it down. Someone heard the demo and was more interested in the singer singing it- Keisha- and it led to her first album.
    Ta for the info. It kind of reminds me of Diana’s underrated “Take The Bitter With The Sweet”. Well underrated imo lol.
    Sympathetic replies on a postcard......

Correct. She needed a strong person/persons willing to stand up to her who could also be clever enough and skilful enough and tactful enough to guide her in the right direction whilst also giving her the impression she was firmly in control of the situation. Not an easy thing to accomplish!

Correct. She needed a strong person/persons willing to stand up to her who could also be clever enough and skilful enough and tactful enough to guide her in the right direction whilst also giving her the impression she was firmly in control of the situation. Not an easy thing to accomplish!
    Not an easy task for anyone i would assume lol.
    Speaking of strong producers, i rather wish Barry Gibb had encouraged Diana to sound a little less like him and more the Diana Ross we are familiar with.
    Its really only on “Chain Reaction” and “Crime Of Passion” that she sounds herself and less the fourth Bee Gee.
    I can only assume it’s the style and sound he wanted from her, unless nervous to tell her otherwise.

Not an easy task for anyone i would assume lol.
    Speaking of strong producers, i rather wish Barry Gibb had encouraged Diana to sound a little less like him and more the Diana Ross we are familiar with.
    Its really only on “Chain Reaction” and “Crime Of Passion” that she sounds herself and less the fourth Bee Gee.
    I can only assume it’s the style and sound he wanted from her, unless nervous to tell her otherwise.
    Barry was recruited at very short notice to produce the Eaten Alive album. The original producer backed out or was pushed out leaving Diana with very little time to recruit a replacement. Barry had wanted to produce her for several years but having been turned down on a couple of occasions he did not have much material readily available. Michael Jackson became involved in the project and i am told it was he who agreed to help out at very short notice. Diana and Maurice Gibb did not get along at all well in the studio and eventually it was basically just Barry who had to rush through the project. I quite like the finished album but it did require the Bee Gees influence toning down somewhat.

Barry was recruited at very short notice to produce the Eaten Alive album. The original producer backed out or was pushed out leaving Diana with very little time to recruit a replacement. Barry had wanted to produce her for several years but having been turned down on a couple of occasions he did not have much material readily available. Michael Jackson became involved in the project and i am told it was he who agreed to help out at very short notice. Diana and Maurice Gibb did not get along at all well in the studio and eventually it was basically just Barry who had to rush through the project. I quite like the finished album but it did require the Bee Gees influence toning down somewhat.
    Cheers B. I also consider “EA” a reasonable effort, though think Dionne's “Heartbreaker” offered vastly more commercial material. Perhaps as you mention this was due to the rush job to complete “EA”. “All The Love In The World” would have made for the perfect follow up to “Chain Reaction”.
    Late last night I decided to dim the lights, sit back and play “More & More”. I have to say it sounded superb, with Diana’s breathy vocal well suited to the song.
    I do wonder if at some point in the future had Barry and Diana decided to reunite, would the overall sound and production have proved vastly different?.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 12-18-2022 at 01:11 PM.

Cheers B. I also consider “EA” a reasonable effort, though think Dionne's “Heartbreaker” offered vastly more commercial material. Perhaps as you mention this was due to the rush job to complete “EA”. “All The Love In The World” would have made for the perfect follow up to “Chain Reaction”.
    Late last night I decided to dim the lights, sit back and play “More & More”. I have to say it sounded superb, with Diana’s breathy vocal well suited to the song.
    I do wonder if at some point in the future had Barry and Diana decided to reunite, would the overall sound and production have proved vastly different?.
    Barry was working to a very strict deadline and he did say there was insufficient time to mix the album to the standard he would have preferred. Had they worked together again Barry would doubtless have written more songs specifically designed to suit Diana's voice. He would have loved to have worked with her again despite the problems they encountered. He said Chain Reaction was his very favourite production on any artist he ever worked with, and Diana did a cameo appearance on the Bee Gees This is your life tv tribute on UK tv a few years later.

Barry was working to a very strict deadline and he did say there was insufficient time to mix the album to the standard he would have preferred. Had they worked together again Barry would doubtless have written more songs specifically designed to suit Diana's voice. He would have loved to have worked with her again despite the problems they encountered. He said Chain Reaction was his very favourite production on any artist he ever worked with, and Diana did a cameo appearance on the Bee Gees This is your life tv tribute on UK tv a few years later.
    Surely had they both really wanted to work together again it would have happened. 2005 might have been a good time.

Surely had they both really wanted to work together again it would have happened. 2005 might have been a good time.
    She was unsigned at that time. I know she did the I Love You album a year or so later but that was thankfully just a one off project. She had offers from Clive Davis but he wanted her to do a series of The Great American Songbook albums which did not appeal to her at the time.
    I suppose had they REALLY REALLY wanted to work together again it perhaps could have somehow happened but for whatever reasons it sadly never did.

She was unsigned at that time. I know she did the I Love You album a year or so later but that was thankfully just a one off project. She had offers from Clive Davis but he wanted her to do a series of The Great American Songbook albums which did not appeal to her at the time.
    I suppose had they REALLY REALLY wanted to work together again it perhaps could have somehow happened but for whatever reasons it sadly never did.
    Regarding The Great American Songbook, i tend to think she made the right decision.
    A Jazz album with say Quincy Jones as producer would have been another thing altogether.
    Its rather a shame the Diana at the BBC programme never materialised. It would have tied in well with her UK concerts.
    Any news of a possible further album in 2023?.........

Regarding The Great American Songbook, i tend to think she made the right decision.
    A Jazz album with say Quincy Jones as producer would have been another thing altogether.
    Its rather a shame the Diana at the BBC programme never materialised. It would have tied in well with her UK concerts.
    Any news of a possible further album in 2023?.........
    Not sure why Diana Ross at the BBC was never shown. It was completed almost 2 years ago, but has been amended a couple of times when archive material thought to have been wiped was discovered. I would have expected it to have been broadcast when Thank You was released or when she toured the UK, but it has been witheld for some reason or other. I'm sure it will eventually be shown because a lot of hard work and research went into the programme and it would be pure folly to waste all that time and effort

Not sure why Diana Ross at the BBC was never shown. It was completed almost 2 years ago, but has been amended a couple of times when archive material thought to have been wiped was discovered. I would have expected it to have been broadcast when Thank You was released or when she toured the UK, but it has been witheld for some reason or other. I'm sure it will eventually be shown because a lot of hard work and research went into the programme and it would be pure folly to waste all that time and effort
    I keep checking periodically. I like the sound of material thought lost.
    The one featuring Olivia Newton John was rather good. Hopefully next year.