[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Merry Christmas album

ok gang - the holidays are here and i'm sure all of us have this album cued up.

so let's discuss!

how many agree that this cover art ranks up there with some of the worst?

what are people's opinions on the original tunes - i think that includes Childrens Xmas, Twinkle Little Me, Born of Mary, My Christmas Tree, Lonely Christmas, Little Bright Star

what should have been released as a single?

lots of unreleased tracks for this set. so what would have been your 12 tunes?

Wikipedia almost mentions tracks recorded for two songs but vocals not completed - Winter Wonderland and Santa Baby

this is the first i've heard of these. were they mentioned in one of the booklets? maybe i've forgotten or overlooked. wonder if other acts eventually recorded vocals

I always thought Santa Baby would be a great addition to the album. give it a little more maturity and adult appeal.

i looked on Don't Forget The Motor City and the Miracles recorded Winter Wonderland and it listed a version produced by Barret Strong for the Temps but no vocals

so maybe wikipedia is inaccurate

A few random thoughts:

Do you think Merry Christmas "suffered" at all by being released on the same day as "At the Copa"? I don't know how much an LP was in 1965 [[$2.98?), but did "kids" have enough expendable cash to buy both albums? Neither release really speaks to a "younger crowd". Maybe MC should have been released first on November 1st, then COPA two weeks later. Both would have still had enough time to be on the shelves in time for holiday shopping.

THE CHILDREN'S CHRISTMAS SONG is a peculiar choice for a release. Perhaps because it was an original? I've always thought that it was picked to familiarize the public with Diana's speaking voice.

At The Copa was on the charts for 54 weeks! it's the third longest chart run for the girls, behind WDOLG and Greatest Hits. the good thing is you have them doing 4 of their big hits in full-length versions. plus Sam Cooke was very popular at the time and songs like Somewhere and Put On A Happy Face were also huge. sure they were broadway hits but West Side Story and Bye Bye Birdie were massive cultural juggernauts. so teens would have been into those songs too. maybe I Am Woman since Funny Girl was a huge hit too. the other MOR songs were probably fine enough but not key things kids were looking for. maybe Ipanema since that was such a big hit too.

the MOR content on Copa isn't quite as schmaltzy as some of the tunes on TOTT - like the Symphony medley or Millie/Rose/Mame.

Single, my favorite things
    Remove children Christmas song,awful.
    The cover art was cheap.
    Should have held Copa back until 1966, spring. i think there were to many releases in 65. although the lp sold 600,000 ,i think it could have faired better, but the supremes began to compete with themselves, and not the other artists.
    i like,1. Rudolph, 2.Santa Clause is Comin, 3.White Christmas,4.Silver Bells,5.Born Of Mary,
    6.Drummer Boy,7. Favorite Things, 8.Little Bright Star,9. Christmas Song, 10.First Noel 11. Holy Night 12. Little Town of Bethlehem
    Last edited by daviddh; 12-07-2022 at 08:03 PM.

A very good album, even though it sports probably the worst album cover in Supremes history. It is almost like the art directors rushed out an unfinished proof or didn't want to waste time coloring in the ornaments.

That said, I really like Diana's vocals on the album. Her voice at the time was so youthful and angelic-sounding. It worked great on these songs. My faves are WHITE CHRISTMAS, MY CHRISTMAS TREE, RUDOLPH, THE RED-NOSED REINDEER, SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN, and MY FAVORITE THINGS. I think MY CHRISTMAS TREE and SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN would have made great singles. Note: I realize that SANTA... was released as a single in some territories and was a #1 hit in Singapore.

It really did have horrible cover art. For the life of me I'll never understand why, when the Supremes were as well known for their look as they were their voices, the cover art for certain albums used photos or art that didn't play up this aspect. I love the photo on the back of the album.

Overall, I think the album is a good one. I just wish it didn't have a more MOR feel to it as opposed to a Motown sound feel. But I guess all in all it did a good job of juggling the two. I can play the entire album all the way through, until the last cut. I'm not a fan of "Joy To the World" in general, but the Supremes version is particularly annoying. And the fact that this made the cut while other songs didn't sucks. Now, while I can listen to the rest of the cuts, I would, of course, have made some lineup changes.

The best songs IMO that made the original album are: "White Christmas", "Silver Bells", "Born of Mary", "My Christmas Tree", "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town", "Twinkle, Twinkle", "Little Bright Star", and "My Favorite Things". I would have added: "Oh Holy Night", "Just A Lonely Christmas", "The Christmas Song". That leaves me with one open spot, so I guess I'd put "Rudolph" in, which isn't a bad version of the song, but Diana is a bit annoying on it. [[She's also annoying on "Santa" towards the end, but I really do like their version.)

As far as a single, I get why they went with "Children's Christmas Song", but I think "Twinkle, Twinkle" and "Little Bright Star" were the better options. It's my understanding that "Twinkle" did get quite a bit of holiday play action back in the day. It's one of my favorite holiday tunes.

From the Supremes' set of Christmas songs, "Silver Bells", "Twinkle", "Santa", "Little Bright Star", "Oh Holy Night", "Just A Lonely Christmas" and "The Christmas Song" make my overall holiday playlist every Christmas season.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I've always thought that it was picked to familiarize the public with Diana's speaking voice.
    Funny you should mention that. I ran across the Supremes' "What's My Line" episode on YT yesterday and was once again having to stop my skin from crawling when Diana suggested that Flo and Mary did the answering because Diana's voice might be too familiar. Every time I hear that I roll my eyes so hard, they have to be realigned. Like lady, don't nobody know what your speaking voice sounds like. Lol Had she been singing, she's easily recognizable. But as a speaker, in 1967, her voice wasn't well known or distinctive enough for the WML panel to have guessed it was her. But at least Flo and Mary got to speak.

But I digress from the subject of the thread...

Whenever I am feeling down and depressed, I'm going to remember this:

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    ...Every time I hear that I
    roll my eyes so hard, they have to be realigned.
    And my depression Shall depart!!!!

My Christmas Tree should have been the single. Teens loved those sad songs.

The back cover should have been the front

I am surprised to read that so many of you dislike this cover. I think the Merry Christmas cover is among their best. I love the minimalist look and think it is distinctive. I do agree that the back cover photo would also have made a great cover.

The first single should have been “Santa Claus Is Coming To Town”. After the romantic “Symphony” a rocker like “Santa Claus” would have been a nice change of pace and would have done better than the juvenile “Children’s Christmas Song”. Maybe “My World Is Empty” would have benefitted on the heels of the radio hit of “Look out Santa’s coming, coming” rather than “Ding dong, ding dong hear the bell”.

I thought I once read that CCS was the single because it was written by Harvey Fuqua who produced the album. I would have much preferred Fuqua’s other song “Just A Lonely Christmas” on the album over CCS. It might have made for a good single in ‘68 or ‘69. Although “Lonely” is too similar in mood to “My Christmas Tree”, which is the better song. Probably not a good idea for a Christmas album aimed at teens to have two depressing songs.

“Twinkle Twinkle Little Me” got heavy play for a few years. It was on the Billboard Christmas Charts for ‘65, ‘66 and ‘67 at #5, #26 and #10, respectively. CCS only charted at #7 in 1965. It looks like Billboard considered CCS as the B-side. Probably because radio requests to hear "Twinkle" surpassed those for CCS, no surprise there. Billboard didn’t place Christmas singles on the Hot 100 in those years. I think “Santa” and “Twinkle” would have charted well on the Hot 100.

I love “My Christmas Tree” and have always wondered why Motown didn’t put out a new single from this album each year. I’m sure MCT would have done well particularly with the Jimmy Webb name attached to it. Motown didn’t seem to promote their Christmas albums beyond the initial release year, for the most part. I also love the albums by The Temptations, Stevie Wonder and The Miracles.

CCS and Joy are my least favorites on the album. I would have preferred Lonely Christmas and The Christmas Song.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Do you think Merry Christmas "suffered" at all by being released on the same day as "At the Copa"? I don't know how much an LP was in 1965 [[$2.98?), but did "kids" have enough expendable cash to buy both albums? Neither release really speaks to a "younger crowd". Maybe MC should have been released first on November 1st, then COPA two weeks later. Both would have still had enough time to be on the shelves in time for holiday shopping.

In my case, I received "Merry Christmas" for my 16th birthday in mid-December. For Christmas I got 3 copies of "At The Copa"!!!

I imagine Copa did well because a lot of teens requested it as a Christmas gift. Motown probably felt the teens would buy MC before the holiday and their parents would buy Copa as a Christmas gift for their teen.

Yes, $2.98 was the price for a mono album and stereo was $3.98. Of course there were variations from store-to-store and during sales.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    In my case, I received "Merry Christmas" for my 16th birthday in mid-December. For Christmas I got 3 copies of "At The Copa"!!!

I imagine Copa did well because a lot of teens requested it as a Christmas gift. Motown probably felt the teens would buy MC before the holiday and their parents would buy Copa as a Christmas gift for their teen.

Yes, $2.98 was the price for a mono album and stereo was $3.98. Of course there were variations from store-to-store and during sales.
    What great memories and how interesting to hear your recall. What did you do with the extra copies of the Copa album? Did you return them for something else or did you already have the collectors instinct to hang onto them and leave them sealed?

I never appreciated the live albums when I was younger. It took me years to really appreciate the COPA album, probably I never listened to it really until the expanded edition came out. The live at the talk of the town album I still have issues with, the medleys all seem to be so hurriedly performed and recorded that they’re almost unrecognizable as far as the individual songs. I give it a try every now and then but I’ve just never been able to really appreciate it. But I love the cover and I imagine that it was about time to have Diana Ross headlining a newer live album in preparation for her solo turn.

I always liked the Christmas album except for the single. When Diane recites the children’s names, it’s positively cringe worthy! When I heard the album as a kid, we used to joke that she was forced to babysit for them and she couldn’t stand them and she was going through the motions just to please the boss. Looking back now, that might not have been too far from the truth!
    Last edited by kenneth; 12-08-2022 at 08:56 AM.

I love the Christmas album cover because of its simplicity and it presents the young ladies in a "girl next door" way as opposed to the glamour image which they were quickly evolving into.

If you want to talk about the worst album covers again, that award for the Supremes with Diana in the lineup....goes to "Cream of the Crop."
    Last edited by jobucats; 12-08-2022 at 01:13 PM.

The problem with the Merry Christmas lp for me is that the Andantes are all over this set. I can hear Florence hollering Merry Christmas at the end of Children's Christmas Song, otherwise this is a Diana solo lp. Most of the songs are lovely, but Joy To The World? Yikes. Diana is so nasal on this.

joy to the world is horrid. the Hallelujah Chorus part is too much and man - they upped the tempo on this one!! like a runaway train

actually song tempo is something IMO this album suffers from. White Christmas is boarding on a sleepwalk tempo. it's just a bit too slow.

O Holy Night and Bethlehem really suffer. both are WAAYYYY too slow and turns them into dirges

and then Joy is like a bat out of hell lol

I have always found the album almost unlistenable. Diana sounds as if she’s been sucking up helium, comparable to nails down a blackboard.
    The arraignments are clumsy with Mary and Flo scarcely featured at all.
    I consider “Twinkle” her best vocal on the album, probably being the only track with any commercial potential.
    I so wish Diana had recorded a Christmas album during the mid to late 70’s. I adore her warm and intimate version of “This Christmas”.

Isn’t it true that the mono and stereo mixes on this album were very different and that the mono mix included more of the Supremes in the background? I’ll have to check the expanded edition and see what it says about that, but that’s my recollection.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Isn’t it true that the mono and stereo mixes on this album were very different and that the mono mix included more of the Supremes in the background? I’ll have to check the expanded edition and see what it says about that, but that’s my recollection.
    yes there are some notable differences between the two. mostly with the amount of backing vocals. I can't remember though - do any of the songs have different lead versions between mono and stereo?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    yes there are some notable differences between the two. mostly with the amount of backing vocals. I can't remember though - do any of the songs have different lead versions between mono and stereo?
    Yes. "Twinkle Twinkle Little Me" and "Children's Christmas Song" use completely different Diana leads. Maybe more, but those are two definites that come to mind.

ETA: Also "White Christmas."
    Last edited by sansradio; 12-09-2022 at 12:20 AM.

White Christmas and Silver Bells have little to no background vocals on the mono album. When I first heard those first two songs, in 1965, I thought it was going to be a Diana solo album.

My Christmas Tree and Twinkle are alternate vocals.

Santa Claus has studio chatter in the bridge.

Did any of you upon listening this to album when it first came out in the mid 60s say to yourselves, "That is not Mary and Florence singing background on every song."? And, yes, Lurlean, I know they are singing on some of the tracks.

I never suspected it as being anyone but Diana, Mary, and Florence. Even today, as I listen to it, I am not distracted by the background vocals as being anyone else but M & F. The background vocals, in my opinion, sure did adapt their voices to sound like M&F.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Did any of you upon listening this to album when it first came out in the mid 60s say to yourselves, "That is not Mary and Florence singing background on every song."? And, yes, Lurlean, I know they are singing on some of the tracks.

I never suspected it as being anyone but Diana, Mary, and Florence. Even today, as I listen to it, I am not distracted by the background vocals as being anyone else but M & F. The background vocals, in my opinion, sure did adapt their voices to sound like M&F.
    NEVER, I could not have dreamed it was not the girls on background, nor the other 3 tops on background on their songs. I had no clue.

I never had any idea of the Andantes or anyone else other than Mary and Flo [[or Mary and Cindy) singing their own backgrounds. I did notice, however, that by the later albums the backgrounds seemed colorless and almost antiseptic, technically superior I guess than the actual Supremes but lacking the verve and character that the girls added. I was a little late to the Supremes game so didn't really know the singers, but I can tell you that in Detroit people thought of the background singers just as fondly, and sometimes more so, than the leads in all the Motown groups.

there's a unique tone to the A's that is clear on songs like Love Child, Composer. and once mary identified those in the 80s as songs she wasn't on, i started to recognize that tone on other tunes. but then at the time, we were working off of her Itinerary in the appendix of Dreamgirl and she was saying they recorded some of those songs too. so then it was that confusion of "hmmm well MAYBE that sound could be mary" and so it was hard to really tell

so of course that made all sorts of things confusing. and when listening to Xmas, that similar sound was there. so i thought "well M and F are on Christmas so there must be times they just sort of sound like the As"

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post

I can't address what anyone was thinking in the 60s [[my parents were children at that time). If I may offer my own experience though, this album was the third album I owned of the Supremes when I started collecting in the 90s. [[Found it at Kmart during- you guessed it- Christmastime.) I had read Mary's books, so I was aware that the Andantes were often a replacement for the Supremes during the DRATS years, but because she never made mention of the Andantes occasionally replacing her and Florence, I had no reason to believe that the Merry Christmas album was anybody but the original trio. The same goes for all of the Flo era songs. I never thought to question if Flo and Mary were on all those songs, except "My World Is Empty Without You"...because JRandyT "told" me Flo wasn't on it. [[Great example of why you shouldn't believe everything you read.)

As the years went on and my collection grew, and then especially when I started frequenting the Yahoo groups devoted to the Supremes, I began to learn that the Andantes weren't unique to DRATS, that there were times when those ladies replaced Flo [[and Mary) during the golden period. And because I was becoming more and more familiar with Flo and Mary's voices, I was able to sometimes pick up when it was the Andantes and not the Supremes. I still didn't catch on to the Andantes on Merry Christmas.

Then someone started telling people that Flo and Mary weren't on the Christmas album at all, that it was just the Andantes. My feelings were so hurt. Lol But I was able to listen to the album and still enjoy it for what it was, although there would always be a bit of sadness that the Christmas project [[I love all things Christmas) wasn't a true Supremes' project. But I couldn't shake my feeling that I hear Flo on "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town". It got to the point that I was adamant that I hear Flo and I didn't care what anyone had to say about the Andantes and Diana recording a whole album on her stupid vacation or any of that crap. Lol It also didn't make sense to me that Flo and Mary would record leads for the project- sometimes on the same day as other songs recorded for the project- but not record backing vocals, and no one could make it make sense to me. I had a healthy debate with one SD member that will remain nameless [[I want to see if he can recall it himself.) where I opined that there was a chance that backing vocals of Flo and Mary on the Christmas project might surface in the same way the backing vocals of Mary and Cindy surfaced for Funny Girl. He told me there was no chance because Flo and Mary never recorded backing vocals. Now that we know per the Vault Team that Flo and Mary are mixed with the Andantes on the album, I still haven't thrown it up in his face that I was right...sort of. Lol

But again, this whole Christmas album thing is why we shouldn't take what we read and run with it. For years the line was "Diana recorded a Christmas album while Flo and Mary went on vacation. Diana was serious about the craft while Flo and Mary had other priorities." Diana may have taken time out of her vacation to record lead vocals, but Flo and Mary either did the same, or did their job when their vacation was over. The A's are very prominent on the album, but knowing Flo and Mary are there, at least for some of it, makes me feel better.

I heard the news that Mary and Flo weren't on Merry Christmas on Christmas Eve and I was so upset I threw a tantrum that rivaled Dawn Davenport when she didn't get cha cha heels for Christmas.

On topic of hand, Silver Bells, Born of Mary and Little Bright Star are my 3 favorites on Merry Christmas and I would have cut Joy to the World and replaced with Silent Night.

Children's Christmas Song is very annoying but it's catchy especially on the Ding Dong part.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    It's interesting that the stereo albums were more expensive yet I've often read how stereo mixes were done quickly, almost like an afterthought. You'd think because more time was spent on mono mixes, those albums would cost more. Oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I opined that there was a chance that backing vocals of Flo and Mary on the Christmas project might surface in the same way the backing vocals of Mary and Cindy surfaced for Funny Girl. He told me there was no chance because Flo and Mary never recorded backing vocals. Now that we know per the Vault Team that Flo and Mary are mixed with the Andantes on the album, I still haven't thrown it up in his face that I was right...sort of. Lol

But again, this whole Christmas album thing is why we shouldn't take what we read and run with it. For years the line was "Diana recorded a Christmas album while Flo and Mary went on vacation. Diana was serious about the craft while Flo and Mary had other priorities." Diana may have taken time out of her vacation to record lead vocals, but Flo and Mary either did the same, or did their job when their vacation was over. The A's are very prominent on the album, but knowing Flo and Mary are there, at least for some of it, makes me feel better.
    Ran - i don't think F and M are on the backing vocals here. this wasn't another Stop In the Name where the As were added or In and Out Of Love where [[technically) M and F are on it but are just swamped out by the As. I'm pretty sure only the As are on Christmas. Flo does her two leads and apparently Mary did a demo/lead for her 1 song.

Also I'm saying As as a generic term for studio singers. seems in the 60s it was just the Andantes and then later it might be the Waters or the women from Undisputed Truth or whomever. I just say As as a catch-all for singers OTHER than Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    It's interesting that the stereo albums were more expensive yet I've often read how stereo mixes were done quickly, almost like an afterthought. You'd think because more time was spent on mono mixes, those albums would cost more. Oh well!
    Well, most of us kids had mono record players. So maybe mono was more affordable for teens. Our parents had the stereo components, most of which were cabinet style - pieces of furniture. My parents got me an expensive mono player - as big as a small suitcase. My sister, a year younger, had a smaller portable player.

here's the album I would have produced on the Sups

White Christmas
    Silver Bells
    Born of Mary
    My Christmas Tree
    My Favorite Things
    Silent Night [[flo lead)

Little Bright Star
    Christmas Song [[mary lead)
    Little Drummer Boy
    Santa Claus is coming to town
    Just a lonely Christmas
    Rudolph

Singles - Rudoph/My Christmas Tree, My Favorite Things/Little Bright Star

The lp is a perfect joy as it is. The expanded edition icing on the cake. And I've always loved the original lp front and rear covers.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    What great memories and how interesting to hear your recall. What did you do with the extra copies of the Copa album? Did you return them for something else or did you already have the collectors instinct to hang onto them and leave them sealed?

I never appreciated the live albums when I was younger. It took me years to really appreciate the COPA album, probably I never listened to it really until the expanded edition came out. The live at the talk of the town album I still have issues with, the medleys all seem to be so hurriedly performed and recorded that they’re almost unrecognizable as far as the individual songs. I give it a try every now and then but I’ve just never been able to really appreciate it. But I love the cover and I imagine that it was about time to have Diana Ross headlining a newer live album in preparation for her solo turn.

I always liked the Christmas album except for the single. When Diane recites the children’s names, it’s positively cringe worthy! When I heard the album as a kid, we used to joke that she was forced to babysit for them and she couldn’t stand them and she was going through the motions just to please the boss. Looking back now, that might not have been too far from the truth!
    My collecting instinct was just starting, I kept 2 copies of Copa and exchanged the 3rd. I don’t recall what new album I chose.

I just checked my albums and the second copy is not sealed. The original plastic wrap is off but I replaced it with a plastic sleeve at some point. The cover looks like it’s in mint condition but I haven’t checked the vinyl yet. I don’t even remember if I played it. I probably played it at least once to check for scratches, skips and warping.

I loved the album right from the start. Less than 2 months later I saw them perform this show at a college in my hometown. Same with TOTT. I saw that show, more or less, a few times. I guess the same with Farewell, minus Someday, which hadn’t been released yet.

I saw them twice about a week or two before Someday was released and they never sang it or hinted that there was a new release coming. No surprise there. It seems they only included a new song once it became a hit.

Did you ever see the 70s sups?

Any fun memories to share from the various concerts you saw? Gowns. Funny quips in their stage patter? A different song slipped into the lineup?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    ok gang - the holidays are here and i'm sure all of us have this album cued up.

so let's discuss!

how many agree that this cover art ranks up there with some of the worst?

what are people's opinions on the original tunes - i think that includes Childrens Xmas, Twinkle Little Me, Born of Mary, My Christmas Tree, Lonely Christmas, Little Bright Star

what should have been released as a single?

lots of unreleased tracks for this set. so what would have been your 12 tunes?
    Just putting my 2 cents in.
    I loved the cover from the start! The girls look simply classy and Christmasy. The back cover was a great choice, too.
    The original Motown songs were good choices. My favorites are, in order, My Christmas Tree, Twinkle, Little Bright Star and Born of Mary. Great vocals by Diana Ross. I love the background vocals, even if by the Andantes, whom I admire anyway.
    After all these decades, I now think My Christmas Tree/Twinkle Twinkle should have been the double A-sided single release.
    My Merry Christmas playlist:

White Christmas
    Silver Bells
    My Favorite Things
    Born of Mary
    Little Drummer Boy
    My Christmas Tree

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
    Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
    Twinkle Twinkle Little Me
    Little Bright Star
    Children’s Christmas Song
    Silent Night

Listening to this playlist right now , first time this season, putting me in the Holiday spirit. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone‼️
    Last edited by lucky2012; 12-10-2022 at 12:14 PM.

Love most of the album but do wish Flo's cuts made it to the finished product, there's no reason why at least one of them couldn't. I definitely prefer her vocal on the versions that were released in 2015 rather than the ones released originally. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town and Born of Mary are my favorites. Joy to the World and Children's Xmas Song are my least favorites.

I knew it sounded like more than two voices in the background when I was a kid but I just figured Mary and Flo doubled tracked their voices. But then I remember my sister listening to the album and it might have been Little Bright Star and she said it didn't sound like Mary and Florence to her. Guess she had better ears than me. I agree with the fact that I don't buy Flo going into the studio to record her vocals the same done backing vocals were done for a few songs and she wasn't asked join in. I wouldn't be surprised if some songs were Flo with the Andantes, Mary with the Andantes, etc

Here's how my tracklisting would have gone...

Silver Bells
    My Favorite Things
    White Christmas
    Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
    Born of Mary
    O Holy Night [[2nd vocal)
    Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
    Little Drummer Boy
    Twinkle Twinkle Little Me
    The Christmas Song [[Diana and Mary)
    Little Bright Star
    Silent Night [[2nd vocal)

I think we all seem to agree that the kids Xmas song and Joy to the world are lease favs.
    I did see a cover art ,maybe a reissue where the cover art was colored in, and I thought it looked far better.

I think it criminal that Flo’s wonderfully poignant performance of “Silent Night” was not included on the albums original release. Was it perhaps just that little bit to good?.

Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-10-2022 at 02:45 PM.

I was a 13 year old boy in 1965 and in no way was I interested in buying 'At The Copa' or 'Merry Christmas'! I still have no interest in buying either of them! So who bought them back in the day? Did you?

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    I was a 13 year old boy in 1965 and in no way was I interested in buying 'At The Copa' or 'Merry Christmas'! I still have no interest in buying either of them! So who bought them back in the day? Did you?
    Yes, although I was late to the game with Back in My Arms being the first time I ever heard them in 1965. After that point, I began buying everything, new or used, I could afford and find at that time as a boy of 12 years old. The first album I ever bought was the A Go Go album in mono because it was cheaper. I recall after a few months, I did a switch with someone to get the stereo version and was disappointed because "Baby I Need Your Lovin'" didn't quite have the same grooving sound as the mono version. It was only recently with the Deluxe version being issued, that I was reunited with the mono version.

I thought I had seen that Merry Christmas eventually sold 3 million copies

Some of us are “of a certain age” here! Copley was 13 and, like Jobucats, I was 12 in 1965. I couldn’t afford to buy albums [$2.98 for mono!]. My only purchase that year was Nothing But Heartaches 45rpm [with picture sleeve!]. Luckily, my Mom was kind enough to buy More Hits By The Supremes for me and Beatles VI for my sister in September.
    I bought my first album, I Hear A Symphony, the next year [monaural,of course]. I couldn’t even think of buying At The Copa or Merry Christmas. [The hits made the expense worth my allowance money ]

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I thought I had seen that Merry Christmas eventually sold 3 million copies
    I can believe this. I have heard My Favorite Things, Silver Bells, White Christmas and Santa Claus Is Coming To Town every year in malls, stores, supermarkets for decades now.

My first Supremes album was Anthology.
    Ross was fairly hot mid 70s with. Love hangover n getting ready for love and both parent albums. Both still remain among my favorites. But Ross solo work introduced me to the supremes.
    I soon began buying whatever I could find.merry Christmas was one of my first

Sorry, I love the album and the cover art and the 60's when it was released. I did not learn until many years later that Flo and Mary were really not on it but still it has been one of my favorites for years. I am glad I have it on CD now so I don't have to pull the vinyl each year. It is truly a classic.