[REMOVE ADS]

Question re: Dinah Temptations and Cindy Bobby Darin.

Someone will have the answer to my question. I was struck by how similar in feel are Dinah by The Temptations from Lost & Found and Cindy by Bobby Darin. [[And Bobby Darin The Devil Must Be Beating His Wife). All written and produced by Smokey. The guitars, the percussion, the arrangements seem very similar. So my question is: What are the dates of these music tracks recordings? [[ It maybe that vocals were added at a later date). I have a hunch they were on the same day or very close. Anyone? Mike

Have you checked out DFTMC.info? It's an amazing site.

Cindy- completed 5/67 produced by Robinson/Whitfield
    Dinah- completed 9/68 produced by Robinson/Moore/Cleveland/Johnson

I have indeed and it is a wonderful site. Temptations Dinah is there, but not Bobby Darin Cindy or The Devil. Bobby didn’t join Motown until 1970 apparently
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 12-06-2022 at 04:35 PM.

I imagine the composers, arrangers and Marv Tarplin are the common link. I'm wondering about tracks recording date as opposed to adding vocals. Sometimes they were far from concurrent, but have vocals added later
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 12-06-2022 at 04:52 PM.

Temptations Cindy , [[ and Bobby Taylor Cindy) are so very different from Bobby Darin

If it helps, here's the recording info for Bobby Darin's tracks:

1. "Cindy": Produced by Smokey Robinson and Terry Johnson. Track recorded in Detroit, MI, November 16, 1971; additional instrumentation recorded November 18 and December 20, 1971; lead vocal and background vocals recorded in Los Angeles, CA, November 22, 1971; additional lead vocal recorded November 30, 1971. Previously unreleased.

2. "I Think The Devil Must Be Beating His Wife": Produced by Smokey Robinson, Terry Johnson, and Hank Cosby. Track recorded in Detroit, MI, June 3, 1971; additional instrumentation recorded June 16, 1971; demo vocal recorded October 14, 1971; lead vocal and background vocals recorded in Los Angeles, CA, November 22, 1971. Previously unreleased.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    If it helps, here's the recording info for Bobby Darin's tracks:

1. "Cindy": Produced by Smokey Robinson and Terry Johnson. Track recorded in Detroit, MI, November 16, 1971; additional instrumentation recorded November 18 and December 20, 1971; lead vocal and background vocals recorded in Los Angeles, CA, November 22, 1971; additional lead vocal recorded November 30, 1971. Previously unreleased.

2. "I Think The Devil Must Be Beating His Wife": Produced by Smokey Robinson, Terry Johnson, and Hank Cosby. Track recorded in Detroit, MI, June 3, 1971; additional instrumentation recorded June 16, 1971; demo vocal recorded October 14, 1971; lead vocal and background vocals recorded in Los Angeles, CA, November 22, 1971. Previously unreleased.
    It appears the only common link between those two tracks is that lead and background vocals were recorded for both tracks on November 22, 1971.

Thanks for your response Danman. Appreciate it. I know see another common factor is that Bobby 's 'Cindy' and 'I Think The Devil' , and The Temptations Dinah, is that Terry Johnson was the producer along with Smokey.