[REMOVE ADS]

The Velvelettes Museum

Here is a link to a photo album on Flickr - I assume all the photos are the copyright of Brad A.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/twistr...57613799555906

That's awesome. Thanks for posting the link.

That's fantastic! It's wonderful that the Velvelettes have so much love and appreciation. Really says a lot about the Ladies that they remain popular to this day!

What an awesome exhibit and how terrific that they honored the ladies that way! That is a really well put together set of memorabilia and seems like lovingly curated! When I first opened the photos, I thought this had just happened but I see it was an event from back in 2009. Great to see and the ladies were certainly deserving of it!
    Last edited by kenneth; 12-05-2022 at 06:37 PM.

Wow! What a great exhibit! Kudos to those who put this together and a huge
    Thank You to the Velvelettes for all the great music!

I attended that exhibit. It was really well put together. Cal is not a hoarder sadly but Bertha had some really nice things from the old years. The museum put on show some very fascinating pre-recorded interviews and I was a little shocked by at least one revelation from Milly. However, it was just so gratifying to see them get some recognition for a chance. They were treated like royalty. We arrived in 2 stretch limos and were greeted by all these important Kalamazoo people together with radio personalities and of course, the fans.

My only personal disappointment was that I could not get a copy of that Swinging Time video of Batman. Nevertheless, it's now available on Youtube. Better late than never.

Thank you for posting the photos Mysterysinger

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I attended that exhibit... I was a little shocked by at least one revelation from Milly.
    John, would you be willing to share that one shocking [to you] revelation that Milly shared in the pre-recorded interviews?

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    John, would you be willing to share that one shocking [to you] revelation that Milly shared in the pre-recorded interviews?
    Let's put it this way.

If a mother takes time away from work to give birth and then immediately returns to work after the birth, the mother will not be there to form a bond with the baby. Such behaviour was frowned upon in those days by family and friends who would not hold back in making their disapproval known.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Let's put it this way.

If a mother takes time away from work to give birth and then immediately returns to work after the birth, the mother will not be there to form a bond with the baby. Such behaviour was frowned upon in those days by family and friends who would not hold back in making their disapproval known.
    Maybe it's a cultural thing but there have been and continue to be many women who return to work fairly quickly after giving birth. The reasons vary but often it is down to financial reasons. There is no universal law governing paid maternity leave in the US and the cold facts are many women have no choice but to go back to work way before the suggested 6-week period. There may be other reasons as well, but all said, many working class women have few options. I don't know what Milly's circumstances were but I doubt it was a decision she cavalierly made. And more than likely, if Milly's circle of family and friends were living in similar circumstances she may have received more help from them than statements of disapproval. My folks both had to work just to afford the basics; fortunately, my mother had sisters and her mother who helped her out with childcare and such after we kids were born. So, not knowing what Milly was dealing with, give her the benefit of the doubt.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 12-11-2022 at 09:26 PM.