[REMOVE ADS]

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles "Abraham, Martin & John" on The Ed Sullivan Show 1969

Smokey & The Miracles gave a great performance of their new single from their latest "Time Out For....." album. "Abraham, Martin & John" has never been one of my favorite Motown singles, but, as an album track, it was fine. I've gotta admit, they executed this live performance beautifully! It just goes to prove that, vocally speaking, Motown's artists were so good that what you heard on a Motown recording, is what you'd hear on a live stage.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-05-2022 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Smokey & The Miracles gave a great performance of their new single from their latest "Time Out For....." album. "Abraham, Martin & John" has never been one of my favorite Motown singles, but, as an album track, it was fine. I've gotta admit, they executed this live performance beautifully! It just goes to prove that, vocally speaking, Motown's artists were so good that what you heard on a Motown recording, is what you'd hear on a live stage.
    This was a good vocal performance by the guys but why Motown rushed this out as a single is beyond me. All it mainly did was stop the sales of the superior Doggone Right, one of their funkiest tracks. DJs played Abraham off their new lp which was good enough to sell the album, but not good enough for a single release.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    This was a good vocal performance by the guys but why Motown rushed this out as a single is beyond me. All it mainly did was stop the sales of the superior Doggone Right, one of their funkiest tracks. DJs played Abraham off their new lp which was good enough to sell the album, but not good enough for a single release.
    I agree, Bayou. I love "Doggone Right". And "Baby, Baby Don't Cry" as well were much better choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I agree, Bayou. I love "Doggone Right". And "Baby, Baby Don't Cry" as well were much better choices.
    "Doggone Right" was on the same Ed Sullivan complete show as this other clip - same outfits, same chance, same night, same tv audience - and in the syndication package I did for public tv about 20 years ago, "The Very Vest Of The Ed Sullivan Show".

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    "Doggone Right" was on the same Ed Sullivan complete show as this other clip - same outfits, same chance, same night, same tv audience - and in the syndication package I did for public tv about 20 years ago, "The Very Vest Of The Ed Sullivan Show".
    TJL, Smokey & The Miracles looked sharp on Ed Sullivan that night -- dressed to the nines in their new silvery-blue stage garb. Those Motown on Ed Sullivan DVD Collections were the answer to most Motown fans' prayers. You did a beautiful job compiling them. BTW, I bought every one of 'em in the Motown On Ed Sullivan series!