[REMOVE ADS]

The early temps-great sounds!

Hi gang, i sitting here playing some early temps songs, songs like[slow down heart-dream come true-farewell my love- mind over matter- the further you look the less you see]just to name afew, and the coolness of these songs always amazes me from the strong motown funk brothers killin it to the guys on the spot harmonies not to mention the great[paul williams]on lead and a young eddie, these are the ones before david came and these guys were all that and a bag of chips even then..there's not a better way to start your day musically then with the[temptin temptations]!!!

This era seems to get very little attention and appreciation, but oddly, that's usually the path to glory with so many bands and groups that are now among the most famous. And that's really a shame because frankly, there is pure gold in those pre- "The Way You Do The The Things You Do" days. You'd be tempted [[no pun intended) to believe those early songs would be along the lines of some of the Supremes' ear-melting early works, but honestly, those early Temptations songs are very well-done. There isn't a dud in the bunch.

I remember buying those Motown Yesteryear 45s back in the 80s and discovering "Paradise." I thought it was a great song and wondered why I had never heard it before. In fact, I played that side even more than "The Way..." "Dream Come True" was sprung on me when I was listening to an all-night Dusties radio show. I just about jumped right out from under the covers so I could hit "RECORD" on my tape deck. Such a beautiful, ethereal song. Full of atmosphere and longing. Again, I thought why hadn't I heard this before. "Mind Over Matter" has since become one of my favorites as well. That one is catchy, bouncy, funky and just a lot of fun to play.

The thing about these songs is that they really don't sound all that dated and in fact are amongst some of Motown's strongest releases during their early years. Isn't it astonishing though that the group was almost entirely overlooked despite all these great, well-produced records, only to become one of the music history's greatest and most beloved groups in a few short years? [[ much like another one of Motown's famous slow-starting groups!)
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 12-03-2022 at 10:24 PM.

"Mind Over Matter" and "I`ll Love You `Til I Die" are easy to miss as they were released as the Pirates on Melody 105.

Just let me know [[Way you do…. flip), I want a love I can see and the rest of the Meet the Temptations album not mentioned yet are great tunes.

Plus from the same timeline, Witchcraft, which appeared on the 25th anniversary double album, and Wherever I lay my hat, from the same album, Paul Williams gems

I’ve not been overly drawn to The Tempts’ early recordings [much in the same way as The Supremes’]. I'm not sure why… perhaps it’s difficult to compare with their peak stuff.

I’ve always liked "I Want A Love I Can See", and I'm also very fond of their version of "Wherever I Lay My Hat". But, besides that, I’ve not tended to revisit any of their pre-1964 material. Maybe I should…

Tomato tom[hey buddy] yes you need to check these early gems!! Oh and if you can find it...[tearstained letter]is one of paul's absolute best!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Tomato tom[hey buddy] yes you need to check these early gems!! Oh and if you can find it...[tearstained letter]is one of paul's absolute best!
    Hey r&b! Just checked it out… very nice! From their Lost & Found set, which I need to give a few more spins…

If you are really interested how it all came to being with the early "Stuff" in 1959. Otis Williams set up the group "The Distants" they had a local Detroit hit in 1959 with "Come On" on the "Warwick" label with lead vocals by Richard Street. Berry Gordy made an offer to Otis Williams that he could not refuse in 1960, Otis then left the Distants along with Melvin Franklin. From then Otis linked up with Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams from The Primes. The Rest is History! The Distants had two 45's issued [[on Warwick):
    You can't mistake both the voices of Otis & Richard.

"Always" is my favourite & what a voice "Richard Street" had!
    You can only have 3 Youtube videos The 4th one is "All Right" link only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAsxT4Wm6aw

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 12-06-2022 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    If you are really interested how it all came to being with the early "Stuff" in 1959. Otis Williams set up the group "The Distants" they had a local Detroit hit in 1959 with "Come On" on the "Warwick" label with lead vocals by Richard Street. Berry Gordy made an offer to Otis Williams that he could not refuse in 1960, Otis then left the Distants along with Melvin Franklin. From then Otis linked up with Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams from The Primes. The Rest is History! The Distants had two 45's issued [[on Warwick):

Yes what a voice indeed Richard Street/Strick had. Could sing the telephone directory and make it a must-listen

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post

BRILLIANT RECORD...if i may say so..

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  21.1 KB
    The Distants' first record was produced by and released first on Johnnie Mae Matthews' Northern Records. Northern leased The Distants' 2nd record to Warwick, as they had the national distribution of the first record.

Just a shout out for the Hallmark CD which came out a couple of years ago and contains tracks mentioned above. Best of all, it only costs a couple of quid. Sound quality is fine.

Hallmark 716302
    Introducing The Temptations
    The Temptations
    UK CD

Tracklist
    1 Come On
    2 Always
    3 Answer Me
    4 Save Me From This Misery
    5 Open Your Heart
    6 Oh, Mother Of Mine
    7 Romance Without Finance
    8 Your Wonderful Love
    9 Check Yourself
    10 [[You're My) Dream Come True
    11 Isn't She Pretty
    12 Mind Over Matter [[I'm Gonna Make You Mine)
    13 I'll Love You Till I Die
    14 Paradise
    15 Slow Down Heart

See my iImages here
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57718839588103

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Just a shout out for the Hallmark CD which came out a couple of years ago and contains tracks mentioned above. Best of all, it only costs a couple of quid. Sound quality is fine.

Hallmark 716302
    The Temptations
    UK CD

Tracklist
    1 Come On
    2 Always
    3 Answer Me
    5 Open Your Heart
    6 Oh, Mother Of Mine
    8 Your Wonderful Love
    9 Check Yourself
    11 Isn't She Pretty
    14 Paradise
    15 Slow Down Heart

See my iImages here
    This is wonderful! I've been curious about some of these CDs and your images allow me to see them before buying them. I know you've been keeping up your flickr site for quite a number of years and I tip my hat to you! Yours is such a comprehensive online site gathering all the details of these releases. I'm always blown away by your [[and others) grasp of all the catalog numbers and such. You do fantastic work!

Nice to see the mysterious early member Eldridge Bryant on the cover and in the center no less! His leaving the group prior to their breakout success can be compared to Pete Best who preceded Ringo Starr in the Beatles.

Name:  2E79A891-3169-41E5-97E2-598EA8641A0C.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  5.5 KB
    Last edited by kenneth; 12-19-2022 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    This is wonderful! I've been curious about some of these CDs and your images allow me to see them before buying them. I know you've been keeping up your flickr site for quite a number of years and I tip my hat to you! Yours is such a comprehensive online site gathering all the details of these releases. I'm always blown away by your [[and others) grasp of all the catalog numbers and such. You do fantastic work!
    Thanks for your kind words Waiting. It really is a labour of love for me but there are practical reasons too - I can look at the artwork without having to get the CDs out, for example. What's more I can actually read the text on screen which I struggle to do otherwise now. Helps to catalogue my collection too but there's a long way to go. No wonder I have no money with all these lol.

As long as I'm doing that it's no problem making the scans available for other Motown fans to see and it's a pleasure to be able to share them. Many have also been uploaded to Discogs.

Hallmark 716302
    The Temptations
    UK CD

Tracklist
    1 Come On
    2 Always
    3 Answer Me
    5 Open Your Heart
    6 Oh, Mother Of Mine
    8 Your Wonderful Love
    9 Check Yourself
    11 Isn't She Pretty
    14 Paradise
    15 Slow Down Heart

See my iImages here
    Wow what a lot of great images. Some of these I never even knew where ever on CD! For example this one. And wasn’t this one just a repackaging of an earlier Junior Walker album? I think they renamed it when “Gotta Hold On…” became a hit. Great collection!

Name:  8149BF57-4C70-4813-9AC5-FF9FDA1FFA5D.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  7.8 KB

Hallmark 716302
    The Temptations
    UK CD

Tracklist
    1 Come On
    2 Always
    3 Answer Me
    5 Open Your Heart
    6 Oh, Mother Of Mine
    8 Your Wonderful Love
    9 Check Yourself
    11 Isn't She Pretty
    14 Paradise
    15 Slow Down Heart

See my iImages here
Views: 423
    Why is The Distants' "All Right" not included?
    Here it is:
    Last edited by robb_k; 12-20-2022 at 02:55 AM.

Yes it was included, you can only have three videos the other was the link for "All Right"

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 423
    Why is The Distants' "All Right" not included?
    Here it is:
    Graham Betts is the best person to give an answer to that.

Graham Betts is the best person to give an answer to that.
Views: 317
    I agree. It should be in "The Track List" at #6, right after "Open your Heart", based on the list's apparent format, as it was that song's flip side. It is either an omission error of the list, or it isn't included [[for whatever reason) in the CD.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Wow what a lot of great images. Some of these I never even knew where ever on CD! For example this one. And wasn’t this one just a repackaging of an earlier Junior Walker album? I think they renamed it when “Gotta Hold On…” became a hit. Great collection!

Name:  8149BF57-4C70-4813-9AC5-FF9FDA1FFA5D.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  7.8 KB
    The Junior Walker album was originally entitled "What Does It Take [[To Win Your Love)" in 1969 as Soul 721 with a picture of a couple about to kiss on the front.

It seems to have been re-named shortly after release as "Gotta Hold On To This Feeling" and the couple replaced by a sax.

Confusingly, in the UK we got the couple on the front but the album was entitled "These Eyes" [[STML11140) in 1970.

As sometimes happened with Junior Walker albums, it shared some tracks with earlier albums [[not sure why they needed do this) but the newer tracks are fabulous. The CDs took the name and artwork from the renamed USA album.

MOTD5460 / 3746354602
    Gotta Hold On To This Feeling
    Jr Walker & The All Stars
    Motown CD
    Soul SS721
    01 What Does It Take [[To Win Your Love)
    02 These Eyes
    03 Proud Mary
    04 Ame' Cherie [[Soul Darling)
    05 Clinging to the Thought That She's Coming Back
    06 Cleo's Mood
    07 Hot Cha
    08 I've Got to Find a Way to Win Maria Back
    09 Sweet Soul
    10 Gotta Hold on to This Feeling
    11 How Sweet It Is [[To Be Loved by You)
    12 San-Ho-Zay
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 12-20-2022 at 02:50 PM.

Richard "Strick"

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post

Do you know why Richard Street did not join The Primes? Was he already a member of The Monitors? Also was his last name Street or was Strick a misspelling? As much as I love Eddie's falsetto, I did not care for it pre-'64.

The Junior Walker album was originally entitled "What Does It Take [[To Win Your Love)" in 1969 as Soul 721 with a picture of a couple about to kiss on the front.

It seems to have been re-named shortly after release as "Gotta Hold On To This Feeling" and the couple replaced by a sax.

Confusingly, in the UK we got the couple on the front but the album was entitled "These Eyes" [[STML11140) in 1970.

As sometimes happened with Junior Walker albums, it shared some tracks with earlier albums [[not sure why they needed do this) but the newer tracks are fabulous. The CDs took the name and artwork from the renamed USA album.

MOTD5460 / 3746354602
    Gotta Hold On To This Feeling
    Jr Walker & The All Stars
    Motown CD
    Soul SS721
    01 What Does It Take [[To Win Your Love)
    02 These Eyes
    03 Proud Mary
    04 Ame' Cherie [[Soul Darling)
    05 Clinging to the Thought That She's Coming Back
    06 Cleo's Mood
    07 Hot Cha
    08 I've Got to Find a Way to Win Maria Back
    09 Sweet Soul
    10 Gotta Hold on to This Feeling
    11 How Sweet It Is [[To Be Loved by You)
    12 San-Ho-Zay
    Thanks for the info! I'm surprised the album was renamed just to highlight "Feeling'" because "What Does it Take" was such a huge hit here in the US and I think it was unusual in that the lead vocal was so prominent as opposed to Jr.'s earlier hits where he just sang a few bars here and there. I love his albums from this period, especially "A Gasss..." which also has a great cover!

Quote Originally Posted by NativeNuYorker View Post
    [[1) Do you know why Richard Street did not join The Primes? [[2) Was he already a member of The Monitors? [[3) Also, was his last name Street or was Strick a misspelling? As much as I love Eddie's falsetto, I did not care for it pre-'64.
Views: 266
    We've had several previous threads on this forum answering these questions.

[[1) Other ex-members of The Distants [[including Otis) have stated that Richard was heavily into a new girlfriend at the time, and wanted to pursue songwriting and go out on his own and get into recording production. We can't know if those two comments were related [[i.e. that his new ladyfriend suggested to him that he not share singing group gig proceeds with 4 other group members in a field where groups' success most often fades after a couple years, but rather go out on his own and make a more permanent place for himself in the songwriting and producer fields). Richard, who had written several songs not only for The Distants, but also had sold a couple written without other members, to other publishing companies while still with Otis' Distants, working for Johnnie Mae Matthews, got himself hired by one of his co-writers, Don Davis, when the latter started up his new record label, DaCo/Thelma Records, in partnership with Hazel and Robert Coleman [[whose daughter, Thelma, was Berry Gordy's first wife). Davis gave him his wish, hiring him, near the end of 1961, not only as an in-house songwriter, but also as a salaried full-time assistant producer [[and his right-hand man). Early in 1962, Richard resurrected his Distants singing group [[Otis had already named his new group The Temptations [[which may indicate that there was some question about whether or not the name "Distants" was solely owned by him, or that Richard and he had co-owned it, or that Richard had owned it). I have also heard that Otis told Richard he could use it, as he was using "The Temptations" already, and no longer needed it. I've also heard that Otis sold The Distants name to him for $1, but that has never been substantiated. So, Richard got Don Davis and Thelma records to record his new Distants, and they released one 45 record in spring 1962, [["Answer Me"/"Save Me From This Misery") - both cuts included in the CD listed above.

[[2) So, no........ Richard was NOT a member of The Monitors when he dropped out of Otis' Distants, and who were formed into The Elgins, by adding Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams, when Richard Street and Pee Wee Crawford left the group. However, The Monitors emerged out of Richard's NEW Distants group formed in early 1962, which merged with other Detroit R&B group, The Majestics, in later 1962, and after several lineup changes, and signing with Motown in mid 1963, later became The Monitors.

[[3) For many years, I had heard several times, that "Strick" was the Street Family's original name, although that was never substantiated. I have in recent years seen in print that Richard, and other people who knew him, stated that that must have been a misprint. Although I haven't seen any actual documentation, I would guess that it was a misprint, otherwise we'd have seen some documentation that "Struck" was, indeed, his family's real name [[which no one close to him seems to have heard).

Great stuff guys, i can always count on my fellow[temptaholics] for great info...temptations forever!