[REMOVE ADS]

Albumism Diana Ross Solo Album Poll [[October 2022)

I don't think anyone mentioned yet the Albumism poll of Diana Ross solo albums. Some surprising entries, particularly Blue scoring relatively high and Ross 1983 -- which I thought is a fan favorite, definitely mine -- relatively low.
    https://albumism.com/polls/diana-ross

While I may roll my eyes at these kinds of polls when they don't correspond with my personal opinions, I respect them for what they are: someone else's opinion, and in this case, a bunch of someone else's opinions ranked. It was interesting to read through, but definitely not one that would mirror mine.

TMITM ranked so low boggles my mind.

I was glad to see Surrender ranked high, but of course on my personal list it's probably #1.

BIM is definitely high on my list.

Blue is a great set.

I'm not surprised the Sing Wiz ranked low, but even though it's an unfinished project, it contains some of Diana's most varied and impactful vocals, IMO, and thusly I rate it very high.

The Boss deserves it's place at #1. It's certainly high up with me.

Diana and Marvin would also be in my top 10.

Of the RCA years, Swept Away is probably the only album that would be on my favorites list. Maybe Ross 83 also.

The RCA albums have long ago disappeared into my memory hole.

I enjoyed Force Behind the Power.

this list is fairly close to mine but i would trade out the Force Behind The Power and Swept Away

and we care about this poll and the ratings why ?

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    and we care about this poll and the ratings why ?
    Obviously, one does not need to care at all. I just found it interesting that a website like album-ism still finds it relevant to do a poll about Diana Ross's solo albums... so don't worry... no one is making you care about something you don't care about.

[QUOTE=Jaap;734929]Obviously, one does not need to care at all. I just found it interesting that a website like album-ism still finds it relevant to do a poll about Diana Ross's solo albums... so don't worry... no one is making you care about something you don't care about.[/QUOTE

I find it interesting, too, Jaap. It speaks to her status as a legendary Motown icon and Pop superstar. I just saw her in a sold out Hollywood Bowl concert in August with an enthusiastic and adoring audience of all ages.

The fact that Diana remains the topic of such polls rather proves her continued relevance. I for one am always curious as to the placements.
    “Blue’ is an excellent album, but her third best.....no way. Nice to see the often underrated “Everyday Is A New Day” making the top ten.
    The incredibly uneven “Swept Away” is placed much higher then it deserves.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 12-06-2022 at 08:30 AM.

these polls are also often influences by the general perception of the type of music being performed. i bet a poll in the early to mid 80s wouldn't have ranked The Boss so high since disco was being heavily scorned. so the more easy-listening sound of the early 70s might have something to do with the ranking for TMITM. people might be looking upon it as more light weight and sappy.

here's my list of her solo albums excluding soundtracks, compilations and live albums. i don't have and haven't heard Thank You so i didn't rank that one

the boss
    diana ross 70
    diana 80
    touch me in the morning
    blue
    baby it's me
    surrender
    diana ross 76
    to love again
    why do fools fall in love
    every day is a new day
    diana and marvin
    take me higher
    force behind the power
    ross 83
    swept away
    last time i saw him
    sings the Wiz
    silk electric
    red hot rhythm and blues
    everything is everything
    ross 78
    workin overtime
    i love you
    forever disc 4
    eaten alive

I also found this poll of interest that 3242 people bothered to vote and that while being music listeners , not necessarily Ross fans.
    without any vetting to be qualified to have a learned opinion I’d be really surprised if but a few of them had more than one, two, or three of her albums that they were actually familiar with. Mostly age of the voter factors in here as to when they experienced her music.

>some people vote just to vote, without much thought.

what especially stands out is there is no clear runaway favorite. That THE BOSS was #1 because 15 per cent said so is not a mandate. It means 85% don’t find it their favorite .
    BOSS beats out CHIC as #1 by 1%.
    To Make it onto this list of top ten Diana Ross albums , one only had to be a favorite of
    three percent of voters.

That it is so divided could imply her catalogue contains equally strong projects …..or, they’re all so uneven that there is no standout “THRILLER “ amongst them.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-06-2022 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    …i don't have and haven't heard Thank You so i didn't rank that one
    Sup_fan, I’m shocked, SHOCKED! you haven’t heard Thank You!

It’s definitely in my top dozen Ross solo albums:

The Boss
    Baby, It’s Me
    Diana Ross 1976
    Diana Ross 1970
    diana 1980
    Touch Me In The Morning
    Thank You
    Diana & Marvin
    Surrender
    Red Hot Rhythm & Blues
    Force Behind The Power
    Every Day Is A New Day
    Last edited by lucky2012; 12-06-2022 at 02:51 PM.

I don't know much of Thank You; I have it but I never played it but once. However that's probably because I look after grandchildren alot.

Blue definitely belongs high up the list - it might be at the top of mine.

Thank You is definitely worth a listen. It’s a nice album.

It really surprises me to hear that fans haven’t even listened to it… Diana’s first album of new material in 20 years!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post

It really surprises me to hear that fans haven’t even listened to it… Diana’s first album of new material in 20 years!
    A bit of a head scratcher that one.