[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: The Shangri-Las

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,111
    Rep Power
    170

    The Shangri-Las

    Any Shangri-las fans on here?

    I've been listening to them a lot lately and one standout track to me is "The Train From Kansas City". The banging piano and train sounds, the harmonies and Mary's storytelling lead make it an excellent track. The girls had amazing harmony and vocals skills and what amazes me even more was that these were 15, 16 year old girls. I always think it'd interesting to hear how they'd evolve if they lasted past 1967.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,974
    Rep Power
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Any Shangri-las fans on here?

    I've been listening to them a lot lately and one standout track to me is "The Train From Kansas City". The banging piano and train sounds, the harmonies and Mary's storytelling lead make it an excellent track. The girls had amazing harmony and vocals skills and what amazes me even more was that these were 15, 16 year old girls. I always think it'd interesting to hear how they'd evolve if they lasted past 1967.
    Yep. Been a fan since I was a kid, and "Walking in the Sand" came out. I drove my parents nuts as they'd just bought this large stereo system and I'd play 'Leader of the Pack' over and over. Motorcycles roaring through the house constantly! It would have been interesting to see where they would have gone after 1967 and if Shadow Morton would have still been invovled with them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,621
    Rep Power
    207


    the ending is stellar. Should have saved it as the song's payoff instead of also making it the intro imo.
    None the less , good stuff!


    forget my complaint .....the whole song is a build up to the arrival of the train thats on its way at the beginning

    something starts to happen horn wise at 2:35 that I wish had continued although it might just be an odd edit ...
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-29-2022 at 06:08 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,343
    Rep Power
    292
    Yes! I've always liked The Shangri-Las ever since hearing their first hits "Remember Walking In The Sand" & Leader Of The Pack" back in '64. Here's another favorite of mine by them, "Right Now And Not Later" [from Shindig].


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,343
    Rep Power
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I've been listening to them a lot lately and one standout track to me is "The Train From Kansas City". The banging piano and train sounds, the harmonies and Mary's storytelling lead make it an excellent track. The girls had amazing harmony and vocals skills and what amazes me even more was that these were 15, 16 year old girls. I always think it'd interesting to hear how they'd evolve if they lasted past 1967.
    Indeed, "The Train From Kansas City" is yet another fine track by The Shangri-Las. Their songs and productions were great and lead singer Mary Weiss always had great storytelling skill on the group's songs. I think of The Shangri-Las as the last great exponents of the 'girl group sound' from the '60s. Too bad we'll never know how they would fare if they continued to release songs into the '70s.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,598
    Rep Power
    256
    When I read the first post, I figured that I would just have to bring up the criminally-underrated Right Now and Not Later, but someone had already done so. That was the closest to a Motown song that they ever did, and if I am not mistaken, it only hit something like number 97 on the pop charts. So yes, you guys are right, they crammed a lot into a short period of time and deserved even more of a career than they had.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    816
    Rep Power
    83
    Train from Kansas City is my fave Shangri Las recording. Mary Weiss sings the hell out of that song.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,332
    Rep Power
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post


    the ending is stellar. Should have saved it as the song's payoff instead of also making it the intro imo.
    None the less , good stuff!


    forget my complaint .....the whole song is a build up to the arrival of the train thats on its way at the beginning

    something starts to happen horn wise at 2:35 that I wish had continued although it might just be an odd edit ...
    The rest of the story ….. she met him at the train. They ran into each other’s arms and kissed passionately. They married and lived happily ever after.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,621
    Rep Power
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    The rest of the story ….. she met him at the train. They ran into each other’s arms and kissed passionately. They married and lived happily ever after.
    hee haw


    ....or how about this .... the dude comes off the train with some hot chick he's just met on the ride, and arm-in-arm while staring at each other goo-goo eyed, they sashay right past her .....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,343
    Rep Power
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    When I read the first post, I figured that I would just have to bring up the criminally-underrated Right Now and Not Later, but someone had already done so. That was the closest to a Motown song that they ever did, and if I am not mistaken, it only hit something like number 97 on the pop charts. So yes, you guys are right, they crammed a lot into a short period of time and deserved even more of a career than they had.
    You're right about "Right Now And Not Later" having a Motown influence. In fact it was co-written by former Motown songwriter/producer Robert Bateman. It was a great song and it's too bad the song charted so poorly. And yes indeed, The Shangri-Las [along with their writers/producers] did cram a lot into the short time they had together.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,164
    Rep Power
    279
    I loved the Shanghai-Las. Mary Weiss’ voice was perfectly suited to the little soap opera story songs which they were so famous for. I’m sorry they didn’t get to branch out further and record more material which might help them evolve and have longer success. I am sure Snuff Garrett and the other people involved with Cher’s second solo phase spent a lot of time listening to records like “Half Breed,” “Dark Lady” and “Train of Thought.” In one of the books about the girl groups, in fact it might’ve been the one with that very title, a writer wrote that the song “Remember [[Walkin’ in the Sand)” said the power of the song is not only that it describes memory in such a poignant way, but the song and the music really evoke the feeling of memory itself. I always found that especially true of the song which is my favorite of theirs.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,332
    Rep Power
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    hee haw


    ....or how about this .... the dude comes off the train with some hot chick he's just met on the ride, and arm-in-arm while staring at each other goo-goo eyed, they sashay right past her .....
    OMG …. Lol. ….. He’s leader if the pack !!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,792
    Rep Power
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    The rest of the story ….. she met him at the train. They ran into each other’s arms and kissed passionately. They married and lived happily ever after.
    Did they meet by the coke machine? Or was Jean standing in the way?

    I love the Shangri-Las. I haven't played their CD in a while.

    I love Give Us Your Blessings and I Can Never Go Home Anymore. I get a hoot when during the song Long Live Our Love they toast to happiness and rather than the sound of two glasses clinking together it sounds like two beer bottles! In Give Him A Great Big Kiss the sound of them walking right up to him sounds like they're wearing army boots!

    "...dirty fingernails, oh boy, what a prize..."


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,757
    Rep Power
    180
    I loved the Shangri-Las but NEVER liked "Leader of the Pack", thought it was corny. Me & 2 friends got to meet the Shangri-Las in 1966 as they were on a big show that also featured Mitch Ryder & others . I had a "Tiger Beat Magazine" press card & their road manager took us back to meet them. It was Mary & the 2 Ganzer twins.They were cool, BUT I asked them who their favorite artists were & they started naming Frank Sinatra & other uncool people like that.They were really more interested in flirting with Mitch Ryder the Detroit Wheels then talking to these little 14 yr old kids, LOL. "Give Him A Great Big Kiss" & "Out In the Streets" are my 2 fave Shangri-Las records.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    816
    Rep Power
    83
    Heaven Only Knows is another good Shangri Las deep cut.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.