[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Diana Ross Who?

Diana Ross Who?

I have to get my Shuler King fix every day and had a good laugh when he posted this one.

That was funny, RanRan! [And on point--WTF were they thinking besides trying to make money on someone's name?!]

I've always loved Bob Powley's work on Supremes figurines. I don't know if he still makes them, but I always wished I could've gotten a full set. Granted, some of Bob's figures look more spot-on than others, but... that's what can happen with original work [[and not castings). I think these two sets may have been what this manufacturer was going for. This is likely the gown the Xmas ornament maker was approximating...badly...and here's a Jean/Mary/Cindy version wearing the same gown [[which they did IRL):

Name:  C845571A-4B49-42C2-A08F-650D1D1DE0BE_1_105_c.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  13.0 KB
    Name:  588D4F79-BDF6-431F-9558-261ADEE669F2_1_201_a.jpg
Size:  9.1 KB

As I said, there's a wrong way to do it...and a right way. Xmas ornament: incredibly wrong. Bob Powley sculptures: incredibly right.

OMG I was on the floor with this.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    That was funny, RanRan! [And on point--WTF were they thinking besides trying to make money on someone's name?!]

I've always loved Bob Powley's work on Supremes figurines. I don't know if he still makes them, but I always wished I could've gotten a full set. Granted, some of Bob's figures look more spot-on than others, but... that's what can happen with original work [[and not castings). I think these two sets may have been what this manufacturer was going for. This is likely the gown the Xmas ornament maker was approximating...badly...and here's a Jean/Mary/Cindy version wearing the same gown [[which they did IRL):

Name:  C845571A-4B49-42C2-A08F-650D1D1DE0BE_1_105_c.jpg
Size:  13.0 KB
    Name:  588D4F79-BDF6-431F-9558-261ADEE669F2_1_201_a.jpg
Size:  9.1 KB

As I said, there's a wrong way to do it...and a right way. Xmas ornament: incredibly wrong. Bob Powley sculptures: incredibly right.
    Those figurines are nice! And how cool is it that a set of Jean era ones were created?!

Yeah, I don't know what the ornament person was thinking. As Shuler says, it must be Diana from CVS.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    OMG I was on the floor with this.
    So was I!

haven't heard the word mulato in a long time

Have to agree with him

I'm so glad Brotha Shuler made this video. This is the kind of thing I was referring to when in a previous thread I said culture vultures out are of control!

I rarely get tears in my eyes when I laugh but this video made it happen!!