[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

All Quiet on the Motown Front

New compilations / releases seem to have really slowed down in the last little while, is there anything new or interesting on the horizon? Any new expanded Supremes compilations?

I've given up hope on the Motown Unreleased series, that was something I really looked forward to every December.

Fingers crossed for some more unreleased gems to come out sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    New compilations / releases seem to have really slowed down in the last little while, is there anything new or interesting on the horizon? Any new expanded Supremes compilations?

I've given up hope on the Motown Unreleased series, that was something I really looked forward to every December.

I wish there was some reissue news on the Motown Front, however, things have stalled. Motown's parent company, Universal Music, has focused on it's vast catalog of rock music [The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, etc.] for reissues in the past couple of years.

Info came in from blkfrost a couple of weeks ago about the first seven Rare Earth albums being reissued in January. They're imports from Japan and are all 'paper sleeve editions'. That's all from the Motown Catalog for right now.

Here's more info about those Rare Earth reissues from Dusty Groove.com.
    Rare Earth -- All Categories [LPs, CDs, Vinyl Record Albums] -- Dusty Groove is Chicago's Online Record Store

Last edited by Motown Eddie; 11-26-2022 at 07:40 AM.

I don't think there is any interest in Motown now.
    I believe Harry Weinger has moved on to other roles

Does anyone have an estimate of how much remains unreleased and is it known what is still unreleased or is there some still waiting to discover?

Sill lots of Blinky, an entire album by Linda Griner. 70's Supremes, Blackberries, Ivy Jo to name but a few.

I believe that there is more from Hattie Littles, Chris Clark, Liz Lands, Choker Campbell and Billy Eckstine. Marvin Gaye "The Dog", Temptations "Part Time Lover", Brian Holland "Old Love [[Let`s Try It Again)" Thelma Brown "Hello Parents"and Ivy Jo`s ""I`ll Always Love You", "To See The Sun Again" and "Life Can Be Anything" as there are acetates out there. An album by Linda Griner! Oh copley I relish the thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    I believe that there is more from Hattie Littles, Chris Clark, Liz Lands, Choker Campbell and Billy Eckstine. Marvin Gaye "The Dog", Temptations "Part Time Lover", Brian Holland "Old Love [[Let`s Try It Again)" Thelma Brown "Hello Parents"and Ivy Jo`s ""I`ll Always Love You", "To See The Sun Again" and "Life Can Be Anything" as there are acetates out there. An album by Linda Griner! Oh copley I relish the thought of that.
    Just about enough to do a very small CD on Linda G [[about 14 tracks) and as stated IJH - Blackberrries another LP by Hearts Of Stone, few odds and ends by CC, MG and Brenda. The big - big names are in the main exhausted apaprt from alternate mixes and versions but the whole point is that there IS more getting it released is now the almost unsurmountable problem.

Name:  12313734_10153085708411891_5681010789574149884_n.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  90.0 KB

Talking of which SEVEN years today I got my copy of this - how time passes

I assume there has to be a ton of stuff from the 70's that still hasn't seen the light of day - certainly there's a lot still unreleased by the 70's Supremes.

There may not be much left from Gladys Knight & The Pips, since Knight Time and A Little Knight Music contained alot of previously unreleased songs....but even if there's only a few tracks leftover from them I hope they get released. They're worth their weight in gold.

I can only hope that Motown / Universal is at least digitizing / copying / making backups of the master tapes that have yet to be released - lest something like a fire should destroy anything [[like what happened at Universal's other facility).

Don't forget that these titles were recently [[re) released from Japan and can be found at very reasonable prices on Ebay

UICY79936 EDDIE KENDRICKS PEOPLE ….HOLD ON
    UICY79937 EDWIN STARR EDWIN STARR
    UICY79939 OZONE GLASSES
    UICY79942 ORIGINALS DOWN TO LOVE TOWN
    UICY79947 SISTERS LOVE WITH LOVE
    UICY79953 DIANA ROSS EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING – EXP
    UICY79956 DAVID RUFFIN THE UNRELEASED ALBUM
    UICY79960 FOUR TOPS KEEPER OF THE CASTLE
    UICY79966 MARVIN GAYE LET’S GET IT ON
    UICY79972 RICK JAMES GARDEN OF LOVE
    UICY79983 MARVIN GAYE WHAT’S GOING ON [[DETROIT MIX)

Has there yet been a book been published on the story, from the first discovery of the existence of unreleased Motown material?

Do you think unreleased material from other labels would have ever seen the light had it not been for unreleased Motown?

Quote Originally Posted by Stax_of_Motown View Post
    Has there yet been a book been published on the story, from the first discovery of the existence of unreleased Motown material?

Do you think unreleased material from other labels would have ever seen the light had it not been for unreleased Motown?
    I don't if there has been a book about the Motown Vaults [and the many great songs that wound up there], however, I'm sure a lot of us would snap it up right away if they did one.

Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post

Almost forgot about this; An expanded edition of Edwin Starr's Soul Master LP [which they had done back in 2014] received a repress on CD from Cherry Red's Big Break label earlier this year.

Edwin Starr: Soul Master, Expanded Edition - Cherry Red Records

There's enough GK&tP for expanded editions, of which I've ... seen ... unofficial releases of. Ditto MR&tV. But I would bet these will never, ever be officially released. Cherry Red does, indeed, do great releases of less-commercial titles for which they can [I presume) obtain licensing. My guess, too, is that there will never be official, expanded releases of the Temptations nor the Four Tops, and sadly I think the Diana / Supremes train has left the station. I will be overjoyed to be proven wrong! The 'bigger' pop groups [Monkees, Stones, Beatles, J Tull, Neil Young, Dylan, etc, etc) continue to have magnificent historical expanded releases presumably because these releases sell. And I mean, really sell. So be it. It's not racism, it's not sexism, it's simply commerce. As Ralph has wisely stated, 'It's the record business. Get over it'.

Don't Forget about Christmas! There are so many Motown Xmas songs, I'm not into re-issue albums but no doubt there might be one or two?

My favourite Motown Xmas 45

Some great Motown Xmas but Phil Spector's Xmas album is beyond any other

Attachment 20088

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post

My favourite Motown Xmas 45

Some great Motown Xmas but Phil Spector's Xmas album is beyond any other

Attachment 20088
    This is my favourite Motown Christmas song too. I guess because it has the "upbeat Detroit sound".

Stevie's is one of my favourite Christmas songs [[along with the 2 Otis Redding ones). The backing track is fantastic. It would have made a great record with non-Christmas lyrics.

Did Motown Unreleased come out every year without fail? How long did this happen for?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Did Motown Unreleased come out every year without fail? How long did this happen for?
    ...1962 to 1969 ...as downloadable soundfiles on Amazon and all still available there ...those for 1966 were also released in a 4 CD set in 2016...!

Grape
    Last edited by grapevine; 12-02-2022 at 08:44 AM.

Thanks grape! So they were released every year from 2012 to 2019?

Do you know what happened after that/ why they stopped? Was it to do with a lack of recordings?