[REMOVE ADS]

J.J. Barnes has passed

Ian Levine has posted on his profile that Ric-Tic singer J.J. Barnes has passed, shortly after his 79th birthday.

Barnes' biggest hit
    came in 1967 with "Baby Please Come Back Home" on the Groovesville label, which, like many of his records
    , he co-wrote. The song reached No. 9 on Billboard's R&B charts. In the mid-1970s, on the recommendation of Edwin Starr, he moved to the UK and signed with Contempo Records. Although chart success eluded him, the British branch of Tamla Motown reissued his earlier tracks Real Humdinger and Please Let Me In to cater for the Northern Soul scene. He recorded two albums for Ian Levine's Motorcity label, Try It One More Time [[1991) and Happy Road [[1992), the latter remaining unreleased as the label folded. All the songs of the latter would be released four years later on his Best Of J.J. Barnes compilation.

Barnes moved back to Detroit and never stopped performing.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  21.1 KB
    Sorry to hear this sad news. And he was so young. - only a few years older than I am. Of course, he was one of my favourite Detroit singers.

Great fan of J.J's talent and his wonderful records for Ric-Tic, Groovesville, Volt, etc. I do believe his Motown career was doomed due to his vocal similarity to Marvin. R.I.P. J.J.

JJ recorded some of my favorite music that came out of Detroit, and he was a great performer all the way up to the end. A friend of mine wrote a really great article the other month about his life & career including his short time at Motown that's well worth a read: https://www.metrotimes.com/music/det...mance-31421347

nsoule, it is indeed a really good article, and so close to J.J.’s passing. Great to know J.J. felt so appreciated this side of the pond.

Fantastic article, so in-depth. Thanks for sharing that.

[real humdinger] is one of the best soul classics ever..r.i.p.