[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Graphic Design: The Motown Box Logo

I've always loved graphic design- all the elements including typeface, font, typography, logos and such. I honestly think when I started collecting Motown albums in junior high school, the interest intensified. I'd spend hours looking at the Motown album covers- the photography, typeface used for the titles and the various Motown label logos. One thing that stood out to me was how Motown seemed to keep tweaking the "MOTOWN" box logo. Not the early versions, but the one that began in 1965.

From the "Both Sides Now" site, it would seem the first album to feature the newly redesigned Motown Box logo was the eponymously-titled album, "Four Tops." But this gets tricky as Motown sometimes was withholding albums and not always releasing them sequentially. From everything I can tell, however, the Tops' LP, #622, would have come out in 1964, between the Supremes' "Where Did Our Love Go" and "The Supremes A Bit Of Liverpool" albums- both of which feature the horizontal, rectangular Motown logo. But being that it came out January 21, 1965, it would seem to make it the first LP to receive the new-look Motown box logo.

This Motown box logo, though, was a rather slim box, a vertical, rectangular box. Then, in 1966, there was yet another Motown box logo introduced, this time a square box. This one was unveiled with MT/MS-654, "Four Tops Live", released November 16, 1966. Again, this is a case where Motown wasn't always releasing their albums sequentially- for example, the album, "The Supremes Sing Holland-Dozier-Holland" is MT/MS 650, which would have been immediately after "The Supremes A Go-Go", but in fact, wasn't released until the next year, 1967.

What's interesting about both of these versions of the Motown logo is that they feature the "MOTOWN" name with two horizontal bars, one above and one below the name. But then, suddenly, the horizontal bar above the "MOTOWN" was eliminated. This change happened between the "Four Tops Reach Out" album [[#660 July 17, 1967) and the "The Motown Sound A Collection Of 16 Big Hits Volume 7" [[#661 August 29, 1967) Seems like such a small change. Was it done for the sake of clarity, to make the "MOTOWN" text more easily readable? Or maybe for the sake of increased clarity when the logo was printed out in smaller formats.

None of this is really important, lol, but these are the types of things that really interest me about graphic design. [ I did this kind of quickly so some of the album covers aren't as clear as I'd like, but you can get the general idea of the changing logos) Name:  3 motown logos.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  79.7 KBName:  motown logo change 10.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  49.6 KBName:  motown logo change 1.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  93.0 KBName:  motown logo change 1.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  93.0 KBName:  motown logo change 3.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  53.3 KBName:  motown logo change 11.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  88.6 KBName:  motown logo change 11.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  88.6 KBName:  motown logo change 4.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  88.8 KBName:  motown logo change 9.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  88.7 KBName:  motown logo change 8.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  92.7 KBName:  motown logo change 5.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  90.4 KB
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 11-24-2022 at 02:32 AM.

Wow, Waiting! I've grown up with the various Motown logos since I was a kid of 13 in 1964. Not once do I recall ever noticing there were 3 variations of the big Motown M inside the box. And, I love that logo, too. Have I been asleep at the switch all these years? In the world of roller coasters [[my other obsession), we lovingly refer to fans who are obsessed with studying every little detail [[like every wheel that keeps the trains locked into the track, etc.) a coaster "nurd". I think it's safe to say that, as a term of endearment, you are indeed a Motown nurd!! [[And that's a compliment)!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 11-24-2022 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Wow, Waiting! I've grown up with the various Motown logos since I was a kid of 13 in 1964. Not once do I recall ever noticing there were 3 variations of the big Motown M inside the box. And, I love that logo, too. Have I been asleep at the switch all these years? In the world of roller coasters [[my other obsession), we lovingly refer to fans who are obsessed with studying every little detail [[like every wheel that keeps the trains locked into the track, etc.) a coaster "nurd". I think it's safe to say that, as a term of endearment, you are indeed a Motown nurd!! [[And that's a compliment)!
    Oh my God. You have no idea just how spot-on you are, Gary! Your description of a coaster nerd/Motown nerd IS me, ha ha! And I do take this as a compliment from you! Here's how obsessed I was with Motown. In my sophomore year of highschool, we had an art assignment to create a poster, book cover or some object to demonstrate the principles of graphic art/design. I chose- um, of course, to do a Motown album cover!!! Now, I had not seen The Elgins' "Darling Baby" album cover at this point, but for some obscure reason, I decided to create one of my own. Basically, I did the Four Tops Reach Out album cover but since I had no idea of what The Elgins looked like, I did this "painting"/illustration of stage lights, microphones and such against an image of the state of Illinois with the town of Elgin represented with a star next to the town's name!

Across the top, I meticulously hand-lettered the title, "THE ELGINS. DARLING BABY" in the exact same font/typeface [["California Grotesk") used on the Four Tops Reach Out album cover. I even went so far as to use the MOTOWN box logo...with BOTH lines above and below the MOTOWN! And with the same two-color scheme of blue box/purple text!!! Baby, I was just TOO nerdy for words!

Actually, the upside of it all, my teacher seemed really impressed by it and even the other kids liked it. The bonus was everyone kept asking who these Elgins were and they didn't laugh when I launched into my Motown Fan routine [[aka I talked too much!).

So yeah. You had me pegged to a tee, Gary!!!!
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 11-24-2022 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Oh my God. You have no idea just how spot-on you are, Gary! Your description of a coaster nerd/Motown nerd IS me, ha ha! And I do take this as a compliment from you! Here's how obsessed I was with Motown. In my sophomore year of highschool, we had an art assignment to create a poster, book cover or some object to demonstrate the principles of graphic art/design. I chose- um, of course, to do a Motown album cover!!! Now, I had not seen The Elgins' "Darling Baby" album cover at this point, but for some obscure reason, I decided to create one of my own. Basically, I did the Four Tops Reach Out album cover but since I had no idea of what The Elgins looked like, I did this "painting"/illustration of stage lights, microphones and such against an image of the state of Illinois with the town of Elgin represented with a star next to the town's name!

Across the top, I meticulously hand-lettered the title, "THE ELGINS. DARLING BABY" in the exact same font/typeface [["California Grotesk") used on the Four Tops Reach Out album cover. I even went so far as to use the MOTOWN box logo...with BOTH lines above and below the MOTOWN! And with the same two-color scheme of blue box/purple text!!! Baby, I was just TOO nerdy for words!

Actually, the upside of it all, my teacher seemed really impressed by it and even the other kids liked it. The bonus was everyone kept asking who these Elgins were and they didn't laugh when I launched into my Motown Fan routine [[aka I talked too much!).

So yeah. You had me pegged to a tee, Gary!!!!
    I love it, Waiting! You really ARE Motown nurd-worthy! Do you have a photo of your Elgins LP-cover creation that you can post here? I'd love to see it. When you went into depth teaching your classmates a thing or two about Motown's Elgins, I hope you reached into your nurd-fan's bag-of-tricks and played them a copy of "Heaven Must Have Sent You"!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I love it, Waiting! You really ARE Motown nurd-worthy! Do you have a photo of your Elgins LP-cover creation that you can post here? I'd love to see it. When you went into depth teaching your classmates a thing or two about Motown's Elgins, I hope you reached into your nurd-fan's bag-of-tricks and played them a copy of "Heaven Must Have Sent You"!
    Glad I checked in once more before retiring for the night! I WISH I had kept that cover! In fact, maybe I did. I have saved so much of my art stuff over the years- at one time I was going to be a cartoonist in the mode of Charles Shultz and I have TONS of the comics and drawings I did then. I'll check in the morning and if I have the cover, I'll put it up here for you! Oh and no, unfortunately I hadn't even HEARD any of the Elgins' records at that time. This was way before eBay and online shopping. And the town was so small there were no cool second hand record shops where I could have found a copy of any of the more obscure Motown acts' records.

I noticed something about the various designs of the Motown logo that they started using in 1965. The slim rectangular box fits better on the first two Four Tops LPs along side the song titles on the front cover of those records. And on the square box stands out more on the covers where there's more space for it [such as Reach Out & Soul Sounds]. Another thing; when Motown Records introduced the new logos for their various labels in 1965, Motown continued to use the famous 'map design' on their record label and only used the new logo on their LP covers [while you could see the new logos for Tamla, Gordy, Soul etc. on both the LP covers and the labels as well].

My phone wallpaper has a photo of the Hitsville window display.....saying " new shape for 65"

fun stuff !!!!

Likely this is apparent, but it seems to me that the switch from the rectangle to the square was as a solution for accommodating the addition of the copyright symbol.
    Taking away the top bar ....very smart , less clutter. And beefing up and enlarging the elements of the last square including thicker lines for the frame, just perfect! In fact this has to be one of the smartest logos ever. That 'M' is just beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I noticed something about the various designs of the Motown logo that they started using in 1965. The slim rectangular box fits better on the first two Four Tops LPs along side the song titles on the front cover of those records. And on the square box stands out more on the covers where there's more space for it [such as Reach Out & Soul Sounds]. Another thing; when Motown Records introduced the new logos for their various labels in 1965, Motown continued to use the famous 'map design' on their record label and only used the new logo on their LP covers [while you could see the new logos for Tamla, Gordy, Soul etc. on both the LP covers and the labels as well].
    Wow! Those are great observations! Yeah, it seems some of the album covers were actually designed with that slim box logo in mind- especially the Four Tops Second Album cover- there are two slim boxes on either side of the song titles, so it looks as if the logo design was incorporated into the overall graphic design of that cover.

I had not caught that second point- the incorporation of the new-look logos with the record label designs, all except Motown. Great eye for detail!

Here's another, kind of funny detail I noticed too about the box Motown logo. Those colored inner sleeves, featuring all the Motown albums, I always noticed how often, they'd eliminate the old style logos and superimpose the newer box logos in the space. With the Motown box logo, it was really odd because with the albums featuring the Motown Slim Box, they squeeze [[and sometimes I really mean SQUEEZE) in the modified Motown Square Box logo! This could look odd with the Four Tops Second Album because the new Square Box didn't quite fit!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    fun stuff !!!!

Likely this is apparent, but it seems to me that the switch from the rectangle to the square was as a solution for accommodating the addition of the copyright symbol.
    Taking away the top bar ....very smart , less clutter. And beefing up and enlarging the elements of the last square including thicker lines for the frame, just perfect! In fact this has to be one of the smartest logos ever. That 'M' is just beautiful.

I think you absolutely nailed it. Yeah, the last design is much cleaner looking, less cluttered. I also hadn't thought about the square being able to accommodate the copyright symbol. Oddly though, I actually like the box with the two bars above and below the "MOTOWN", but from a design aspect, I would definitely go with what you're saying.

Yeah, when I was a kid, I thought all those Motown logos were incredible. They were perfect. TAMLA was my second favorite. All the Motown logos seemed lightyears ahead of their time, but the Motown one, as you said, that one is perfection.

And speaking of Motown's Logos, here's the very first one they used on Mary Wells' Bye Bye Baby LP [and the first five Motown albums].

And the label design:

Last edited by Motown Eddie; 11-25-2022 at 09:47 AM.

For Motown's next LP release, The Twistin' Kings' Twistin' The World Around, they used the first version of the now famous 'map label' [while using the same 'car logo' from the Bye Bye Baby album on the front & back cover of the album].

All interesting stuff. But The Elgins were on VIP [[sorry - someone had to say it lol !)

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    All interesting stuff. But The Elgins were on VIP [[sorry - someone had to say it lol !)
    Yes I know that very well now, which is why the run of Elgins videos I put up on YouTube all feature the "V.I.P." logo. But back in 1981 when I was in school I only knew that there was a group called the Elgins at Motown - and that's ALL I knew. It wasn't so much that I was going for historical accuracy. I was just doing a school art project -and "Motown" was my favorite logo so I went with it. If we had the internet back then I'm sure I would have made decidedly different choices.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 11-26-2022 at 03:16 AM.

We didn't even have VIP in the UK back then [[nor any of the Motown labels) everything was on Tamla Motown. Now there is an iconic logo for any UK folks amongst us - almost on a par with London American.

I think you absolutely nailed it. Yeah, the last design is much cleaner looking, less cluttered. I also hadn't thought about the square being able to accommodate the copyright symbol. Oddly though, I actually like the box with the two bars above and below the "MOTOWN", but from a design aspect, I would definitely go with what you're saying.

Yeah, when I was a kid, I thought all those Motown logos were incredible. They were perfect. TAMLA was my second favorite. All the Motown logos seemed lightyears ahead of their time, but the Motown one, as you said, that one is perfection.

Having said all that had the moniker remained the same , rectangular or with keeping the above bar.... I would have no complaints.

it's fun to continue to learn unexpected things about Motown through this site. I had no idea of this early logo :

clever, but thankfully they moved away from it....

They were on Motown if you lived in Canada.
    Name:  elgins.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  13.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by nsoule View Post
    WHAT????!!!!! It REALLY is true: you learn something new every day! I never knew about this ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Having said all that had the moniker remained the same , rectangular or with keeping the above bar.... I would have no complaints.

it's fun to continue to learn unexpected things about Motown through this site. I had no idea of this early logo :

clever, but thankfully they moved away from it....
    Hee Hee! I remember seeing this car logo and thinking it was really very cool. You're right about it being clever but yeah, it was a wise choice to upgrade those logos. I just couldn't see this logo on the cover of "The Supremes Sing Rodgers & Hart"!!

Now that is just weird because this suggests that they were on Tamla Motown in Canada lol

https://www.discogs.com/release/8605...U6NDI0MjM5NzI=

Mind you, this one is definitely Motown ..... for the US market but pressed in Canada !!!

https://www.discogs.com/release/6842...U6NTg5MTM2Mjk=

And speaking of Canadian pressings of Motown LPs in the 60s, here's an album that originally appeared on the Gordy label in the USA.

What a great post, WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance! You've motivated me to share various record labels used for various pressings of Martha & The Vandellas "Dance Party" recording, including the most recent November, 2022, Record Store Day release. What great record! [ATTACH]20079 Name:  Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 11.44.17 AM 2.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  66.4 KB [/ATTACH]Name:  s-l1600-1_3.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  91.9 KBName:  DSC07606.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  94.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 11-28-2022 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    What a great post, WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance! You've motivated me to share various record labels used for various pressings of Martha & The Vandellas "Dance Party" recording, including the most recent November, 2022, Record Store Day release. What great record! [ATTACH]20079 Name:  Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 11.44.17 AM 2.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  66.4 KB [/ATTACH]Name:  s-l1600-1_3.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  91.9 KBName:  DSC07606.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  94.1 KB
    Now THIS is interesting! I know that the Gordy label was kind of a strange affair because even after Motown introduced the new Gordy "box" logo [[and by the way, there were two variations of that one) you never knew what label you would get once you opened the album jacket; would you get the script Gordy design or the new arrow design; the old Tamla globes design or the new Tamla box design? I know it's been discussed here before, how apparently, Motown had many older Gordy [[and Tamla) album/45 labels and so they wanted to continue using the labels with the older designs until they were all gone. Your post is fascinating not only because of the variations between the old Gordy and the new Gordy design, but also because of the latest pressing being on the Motown label. The tread here about the most recent Record Store Day releases also mentioned how albums that had been originally on the Gordy label were now showing up with the Motown logo. It was speculated that maybe there was some legal issue with using the "Gordy" name. I'd love to know if that's the case. Another thing I noticed was that the Motown box logo used on the album jacket is the one with the TWO bars- above and below the "MOTOWN" name! Now that was a really fascinating choice. Wow, thanks for sharing these photos- really just makes the discussion morel lively!
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 11-28-2022 at 10:49 PM.

And speaking of Canadian pressings of Motown LPs in the 60s, here's an album that originally appeared on the Gordy label in the USA.
    OK, this is strange to see, but also very of cool to see- The Temptations on TAMLA. So now I'm wondering, was there some kind of legal issue with using the "Gordy" label in Canada?

Now that is just weird because this suggests that they were on Tamla Motown in Canada lol

https://www.discogs.com/release/8605...U6NDI0MjM5NzI=

Mind you, this one is definitely Motown ..... for the US market but pressed in Canada !!!

https://www.discogs.com/release/6842...U6NTg5MTM2Mjk=
    OK, I just went over to Discogs and THAT is utterly confusing. I mean, I get that there were albums released in Canada on the Tamla Motown label, but WHEN was "Darling Baby" issued in the US on the Motown label as pressed in Canada? Did certain markets get the Motown version of "Darling Baby" while other markets got it on V.I.P.? Just what is the story behind this one?

OK, I just went over to Discogs and THAT is utterly confusing. I mean, I get that there were albums released in Canada on the Tamla Motown label, but WHEN was "Darling Baby" issued in the US on the Motown label as pressed in Canada? Did certain markets get the Motown version of "Darling Baby" while other markets got it on V.I.P.? Just what is the story behind this one?
    Good Question! We'd have to get someone 'in the know' about Motown's operations in the '60s to answer that. Here's yet another album 'label variation' in the meantime.

And let's not forget the singles from that era;

Good Question! We'd have to get someone 'in the know' about Motown's operations in the '60s to answer that. Here's yet another album 'label variation' in the meantime.

I seriously thought my Motown Collector days were over. Now I feel the spirit awakening yet again. I seriously like this.

And let's not forget the singles from that era;

Wow. You've opened a door to another avenue of collecting I never knew about. Besides the label change to Tamla, I like the odd color variation.

Wow. You've opened a door to another avenue of collecting I never knew about. Besides the label change to Tamla, I like the odd color variation.
    I try to stick to US releases in my collection, but those slightly different Canadian labels are really attractive sometimes.
    Name:  R-11122731-1510262042-9286.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  9.4 KB

FWIW, I did find that Elgins on Motown in Detroit, but I'm not so sure about the story on Discogs that it was made in Canada for a US market - seems odd.

Also, if anyone could teach me how to attach images that don't get resized into tiny images, that'd be great. Lol.
    Last edited by nsoule; 11-30-2022 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Image help

I try to stick to US releases in my collection, but those slightly different Canadian labels are really attractive sometimes.

FWIW, I did find that Elgins on Motown in Detroit, but I'm not so sure about the story on Discogs that it was made in Canada for a US market - seems odd.

Also, if anyone could teach me how to attach images that don't get resized into tiny images, that'd be great. Lol.
    1. WOW to finding that Elgins Motown album!
    2. WOW to the black Tamla label!!

Yeah, I should just stick to the US releases- but I then I got into buying those European picture sleeves and EPs. So many of those feature photographs that are better than some of the US album cover graphics. I also have some UK albums on the Tamla Motown label, but I gotta say, I'm really liking these Canadian albums much better.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  21.1 KB
    When Motown's usual local Detroit Metro and Southeastern Michigan pressing plants were backed up with jobs, and Motown wanted to get product out right away, they went across the river to Ontario pressing plants.

OK, this is strange to see, but also very of cool to see- The Temptations on TAMLA. So now I'm wondering, was there some kind of legal issue with using the "Gordy" label in Canada?
Views: 419
    As I remember, ALL Motown Canadian releases at that time [[both LPs and 45s) were issued on Canadian Tamla. There were no Canadian Gordy, or Melody records in 1962 or '63. Canadian releases changed from Tamla only to Canadian Tamla-Motown. Canadian Motown came later.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 419
    As I remember, ALL Motown Canadian releases at that time [[both LPs and 45s) were issued on Canadian Tamla. There were no Canadian Gordy, or Melody records in 1962 or '63. Canadian releases changed from Tamla only to Canadian Tamla-Motown. Canadian Motown came later.
    You have to be a mind reader. I seriously was thinking about sending out some kind of message to you hoping you'd give your insight into this. I knew that if anyone could explain this it would be you. Thank you very much for clearing this up. It's just so fascinating and I really do think I'll be seeking out some of these Canadian releases.

I asked a Canadian friend about the Elgins on Motown and he pointed me to several other Canadian pressings on US labels like Gordy, Soul, and Tamla.

Martha & The Vandellas 'Watchout':
    https://www.discogs.com/release/8656...ellas-Watchout

Jr. Walker 'Road Runner':

He didn't have an answer as to why the Elgins is on Motown instead of V.I.P., but all the other releases seem to be on the appropriate US Motown label, just manufactured in Canada. He also pointed out that they all have 'C' printed somewhere on the back cover. Apparently, he finds them pretty regularly in Montreal and suspects that they're part of a Record Club kind of thing rather than Canadian pressings for a US market. Of course, that's just a theory, and Robb could very well be correct. There doesn't seem to be any Canadian manufactured 45s on US style labels other than the Canadian-distributed Tamla label though, and all the albums seem to be from '66-67.

I asked a Canadian friend about the Elgins on Motown and he pointed me to several other Canadian pressings on US labels like Gordy, Soul, and Tamla.

He didn't have an answer as to why the Elgins is on Motown instead of V.I.P., but all the other releases seem to be on the appropriate US Motown label, just manufactured in Canada. He also pointed out that they all have 'C' printed somewhere on the back cover. Apparently, he finds them pretty regularly in Montreal and suspects that they're part of a Record Club kind of thing rather than Canadian pressings for a US market. Of course, that's just a theory, and Robb could very well be correct. There doesn't seem to be any Canadian manufactured 45s on US style labels other than the Canadian-distributed Tamla label though, and all the albums seem to be from '66-67.
    Thank you! Wow, this just keeps getting more fascinating all the time. As far as the Elgins on Motown [[OK, "Canadian Motown") if I found that album and didn't know the backstory, I'd be thinking, WOW! The Elgins got upgraded to the Motown label. That's why this forum is a huge blessing to it's fans.

Views: 404
    I can't comment with any knowledge about those Canadian LPs on US-style labels, other than admitting that they look like they were pressed for The Canadian, rather than the US Market. I don't remember them, because when they were out, I was only visiting family in Canada for about a month each year; and when I was there, I wasn't really looking in shops for records. Although I DID take 3 cross Canada trips in summers of 1969, 1970 and 1971, just looking through record shops, but never saw them.

But, I can tell you that the press runs Motown had done between 1964 and 1968 in Canadian pressing plants for sale in The US market, looked like US records, and are only recognisable by having different plastic, or label fonts, or slight label layout differences, but they did NOT contain the "Manufactured in Canada statement", nor the Canadian Copyright statement, like these Canadian LPs, which use US Motown labels to which the individual artists were signed, whereas, in 1966 and 1967, their 45s and regular LPs were appearing on Canadian Tamla-Motown, as far as I remember.

So, I agree that this particular LP series, which I can't remember ever having never seen, despite having looked through hundreds of thousands of LPs, of which scores of thousands of them must have been Canadian, must have been a special one-time issue for a special reason.
    Last edited by robb_k; 12-01-2022 at 06:22 PM.

HeyWaitingWatching, I’d never really noticed this before, but now you point it out, I can see the logo went through a fair amount of change!! I think they got it perfect with the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    HeyWaitingWatching, I’d never really noticed this before, but now you point it out, I can see the logo went through a fair amount of change!! I think they got it perfect with the last one.
    I have such a weird fascination with graphic design lol. On one level I actually prefer the one with the bars about and below the MOTOWN but the final version is definitely more easily readable, especially in smaller sizes. So you're definitely right in saying they got it perfect!