[REMOVE ADS]

second time around - songs done multiple times

haha - again listening to the R&H set, i listened to DMF do Little Girl Blue and then listened to Diana's solo version for Touch Me in the Morning/Blue. very different but both are lovely. the vocal growth in Diana by the later is stunning and so that really does make for a better track but the Sup version is incredible too

but what about other tunes:

Keep an eye
    the various versions of Mother Dear
    Lady is a tramp - Sing R&H versus live or even Diana's later live performances
    Evening train - the LC version versus Jean's lead version
    With a Song - IHAS version versus Sing R&H
    Everyday people - sup version vs tops/sup version
    Together we can make such sweet music - duet version vs NW album version

KEEP AN EYE - I don't like Diana's solo remake. They didn't really add anything to it and Diana sounds bored.

MOTHER DEAR. - I'm not sure of its number but I really like the version first released on the Supremes' boxed set. The bass really jumps. Note: the original itself isn't bad.

THE LADY IS A TRAMP - Diana's 1967 vocals are rather light. But she shows a great command of it by the time of the FAREWELL album and even moreso, LIVE AT CAESARS PALACE.

Not on your list:

I prefer the original WISH I KNEW to the version Diana recorded for EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING.

I really like both versions of I CAN'T GIVE BACK THE LOVE I FEEL FOR YOU but I give the edge to the version on SURRENDER, as the gospel backing vocals really push Diana.

agree about Wish I Knew and Can't Give Back. the later versions really are better. while also agree on Keep An Eye. Diana's vocals are more mature on the 1970 version but it's nearly an identical song so why include it? at least change up the sound and track

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    agree about Wish I Knew and Can't Give Back. the later versions really are better. while also agree on Keep An Eye. Diana's vocals are more mature on the 1970 version but it's nearly an identical song so why include it? at least change up the sound and track
    I disagree regarding “Keep An Eye”. Diana’s voice on the solo version sounds far more mature and expressive then the slightly lighter, brighter 68 version.
    Here she sounds like a woman as opposed to a girl that’s been through the emotional mill, lost her partner and come out the other side.
    This vocal maturity makes it for me a very different recording in both mood and style. Perhaps a little sombre in content for single release, but good all the same.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 11-23-2022 at 04:02 AM.

IMHO, nothing can compare to Diane's version of "How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone." It would seem like a song that would suit Jean's voice, but to me she just doesn't seem to convey any of the urgency or angst that's present in the version on "Love Child." One of Diane's best performances. And I love the instrumentation that sounds like a high speed train in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    IMHO, nothing can compare to Diane's version of "How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone." It would seem like a song that would suit Jean's voice, but to me she just doesn't seem to convey any of the urgency or angst that's present in the version on "Love Child." One of Diane's best performances. And I love the instrumentation that sounds like a high speed train in the background.
    It’s always difficult to compare when both versions are so totally different.
    Jean’s vocal being far more strident, with the arrangement more on the funky side.
    I enjoy both versions, but for me Diana does a better job in conveying the emotion of the lyrics.

Diana's version of Evening Train is one of the best DRATS tunes ever. the dark brooding track, persistently chugging forward like a dark train into the night

Jean's version is more of the 'soul singer doing a train song' like Gladys and Midnight Train or Friendship Train. the sound and approach of she took could have been applied to a cover version of any of these tunes.

diana's evening train is purely original