[REMOVE ADS]

the magic of Gil Askey

it's always a struggle to try and come up with new topics here!! lol but i think this is one, if not new, at least that hasn't been discussed all that frequently

we all agree that DMF were a magic combination. that the HDH tracks were perfection. that the career planning and management was key too

but i think Gil was also massively responsible for their growth and appeal. clearly, his talents are on display in the Sing R&H album [[see the other thread i just started). but i believe he was also key to some of the most iconic moments on tv - like the Millie/Rose/Mame segment which was developed for their stage act and performed on Sullivan.

so what are some of your fav Gil moments and things? he was also conductor of the group's orchestra so are there fav live moments? how about his work with Diana in the 70s and on? or the launch of the 70s Supremes with Jean?

I think one of Gil's crowning achievements are his arrangements on LADY SINGS THE BLUES. Some of them are reminiscent of those on the RODGERS AND HART album.

Probably my favorite Askey work with Diana are the arrangements on her AN EVENING WITH DIANA ROSS album.

one of my all time favorite DR recordings is Little Girl Blue from the TMITM/Blue sessions. just stunning. and the magic of Gil is so evident here

but yes - Evening With, Stolen Moments. he's just an amazing talent

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    one of my all time favorite DR recordings is Little Girl Blue from the TMITM/Blue sessions. just stunning. and the magic of Gil is so evident here

but yes - Evening With, Stolen Moments. he's just an amazing talent
    Gil gave a really nice interview to Diana's REACH OUT fan club newsletter. It was done around the time that THE RODGERS AND HART COLLECTION cd was released. Gil didn't know that it had come out.

In the interview, Gil mentioned how much how good the R&H sessions were, e.g. Flo's sound on THIS CAN'T BE LOVE, those "hey,hey,hey"s. He also said when he came up with the idea to redo LITTLE GIRL BLUE in the 70s, Diana was reluctant, saying that they had already done it. But he told her she hadn't given him the performance he wanted and she did it again.

nice! some fans have also shared having met Gil and spoken with him. if you think about it, he might have been even more regularly involved with the group than even Berry. Gil would have been on the road with them traveling, city to city. Berry was often there but not always, depending on what was happening back in the office. So Gil definitely really knew and cared about each of the ladies, their personalities, their talents.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    nice! some fans have also shared having met Gil and spoken with him. if you think about it, he might have been even more regularly involved with the group than even Berry. Gil would have been on the road with them traveling, city to city. Berry was often there but not always, depending on what was happening back in the office. So Gil definitely really knew and cared about each of the ladies, their personalities, their talents.
    Gil had some nice stories. He mentioned the girls would see him getting ready to go out and ask what he was doing. When he said dancing, they would all want to tag along with him. He also said something like he and Diana would get into it and she would say "I don't want him on my stage." But when they would get to the next city, she would ask "Where's Gil?"

I remember watching Diana at her “Stolen Moments” concert introducing Gill Askey, and I remember thinking to myself, that’s the guy who’s name I’ve seen in print so many times. I thought it was great that she reached out to someone from her past from the Motown family.

Stolen Moments is the apex of the Ross/Askey musical partnership. I wished they had toured that show instead of it being a one off, but at least it was captured for home video and recorded.

i loved the Rogers and Hart album and think the 60s was a great time with Gil and the ladies but, not so much in the 70s
    they were still performing Youre Nobody until Somebody Loves You,very old school by then.it was time to move on
    i do like his work with Diana on Little Girl Blue