[REMOVE ADS]

AMA Icon Award for Lionel Richie

Lionel Richie was given the Icon Award, honouring his legacy of hits with the Commodores and as a solo artist.
    He was given the prize by fellow Motown artist Smokey Robinson, who joked that he first knew the singer as "the guy with the biggest afro in the Commodores".

Taking the stage, Richie thanked his family and made a point of speaking directly to the "young superstars" in the room.
    "God has given you a light. That light is special, that light is only given to a few," he said. “When you hear the word 'hip,' it means today. When you hear the word 'inspiring,' it means forever. If you get a chance to have that light on you, understand what God has in store."

Lionel Richie has a lifetime total of 17 American Music Awards
    Stevie Wonder and Charlie Puth then celebrated his discography in a head-to-head piano duel, performing Three Times a Lady, Easy, All Night Long [[All Night), Say You, Say Me, Brick House and Jesus Is Love.

They rounded off their set with a star-studded version of We Are The World - the charity single Richie co-wrote with Michael Jackson for Ethiopian famine relief. They were joined on stage by Ari Lennox, Muni Long, Melissa Etheridge, Jimmie Allen, Yola, Smokey Robinson and, eventually, Richie himself.

Last edited by 1382hitsville; 11-21-2022 at 03:57 PM.

I really enjoyed that, although I've gotta say that Stevie sounded annoyingly off-key to me.. I kept thinking, "Come on, Stevie, sing it straight and soulful like you usually do." Instead, he was up and down -- all over the scale -- more often than not, off-key. On a more positive note, "We Are The World" was beautiful. I never get tired of hearing it performed. Even the newer singers here made it sound as beautiful as ever. Congratulations to Lionel! I was surprised that he didn't sing anything for the audience. Nevertheless, thanks for sharing this, 1382hitsville.

PS: It's always exciting when Motowners greet each other on stage. You could feel the love between Smokey and Lionel! It really does a heart good!