[REMOVE ADS]

Beyond Mary Wilson Anthology

I honestly don't think we will see any Mary Wilson releases beyond the Anthology from last year. Mainly highlighting the fact that it rereleased her 1979 LP[[which was not a hit and polarizing since it was disco and not her strongest suit) and the Gus Dudgeon songs, it was mainly for her fans and probably did not do well beyond that. It is a shame because we will never see the Clarity CD released. I think that Can We All Get Along, Johnnie Mae and Life's Been Good To Me have been released but there are probably more that will never see the light of day. The anthology highlighted many Supremes alternates which were actually better than the released versions, so we have those. I was hoping against hope that it would have been successful and then we would have Walk The Line rereleased along with the Love Child outtake, Clarity, the unreleased Atlantic demos, rereleasing U, Turn Around [[a personal favorite) and also whatever Sweet Feet Music had promised awhile back. It saddens me that there wasn't the progression I had hoped for but am happy for the Anthology. I guess her estate is just satisfied to let things end as they have ended.

of course there might be legal reasons why her other material [[like Walk The Line or U) wasn't included.

also Andy, George and the others have said they wouldn't release material that wasn't finished or in a state that is becoming of the singer. many times they might have been recording just a demo and so are only halfway singing. just to get a feel for things. if those tapes survive, odds are they won't be released.

as for motown materials on mary, i'd assume much of what is available [[or has been discovered) from studio sessions has been included. but there could still be alt versions and vocals. and of course there's still live material

i just read in a newspaper review someone shared on FB from late 68. it was when LC was their new song. and the article mentions Falling In Love With Love. so that was in the show for over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    of course there might be legal reasons why her other material [[like Walk The Line or U) wasn't included.

also Andy, George and the others have said they wouldn't release material that wasn't finished or in a state that is becoming of the singer. many times they might have been recording just a demo and so are only halfway singing. just to get a feel for things. if those tapes survive, odds are they won't be released.

as for motown materials on mary, i'd assume much of what is available [[or has been discovered) from studio sessions has been included. but there could still be alt versions and vocals. and of course there's still live material

i just read in a newspaper review someone shared on FB from late 68. it was when LC was their new song. and the article mentions Falling In Love With Love. so that was in the show for over a year.
    I definitely understand that. I guess there may be too many legal reasons to go beyond the Anthology. I also understand that it would be smart not to release things like My Love Life is a Disaster, as that was her doing a demo of the song. I know Motown gave Mary her masters back but not sure about CEO with Walk The Line, Contract with U ,the Atlantic demos and the Hollands with Clarity. I was looking forward to just completing everything possible since she is no longer with us.

I think Mary has given us everything she would have wanted us to have. She participated in the Anthology before her passing.

How about we just let her Rest in Peace?

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I think Mary has given us everything she would have wanted us to have. She participated in the Anthology before her passing.

.Wow! Okay, I was only being hopeful as a major fan of her talent. I had no intention of disrespecting her or her legacy. I certainly miss her talent, beauty and positivity in this World. I will certainly never mention her again on these boards if it comes across as not letting her Rest in Peace.

there might be some surprises in the future. the Christmas Song is one that comes to mind. i'm assuming we won't get the full Mary version - think someone said they were just experimenting in the studio with this. it wasn't necessarily a fully prepared lead vocal. maybe some spots weren't up to snuff and so they did the duet version.

what we did get had some of Mary's loveliest vocals. this song was just a perfect fit for her voice and style.

Oh no I didn't mean anything like that, the point was and is that we lost her and she belongs to the ages, like Flo. Anything I can get on that now is fury gravy in terms of music releases. Sorry if I offended. I miss Mary too

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    .Wow! Okay, I was only being hopeful as a major fan of her talent. I had no intention of disrespecting her or her legacy. I certainly miss her talent, beauty and positivity in this World. I will certainly never mention her again on these boards if it comes across as not letting her Rest in Peace.
    I don't see anything wrong with what you've posted, Jim. Mary was all about preserving and enhancing the legacy, and now that she's gone, it's only natural that you/we would want to continue doing the same. It's exactly what people mean when they use the phrase, "gone but not forgotten"...it means remembering and preserving one's memory/legacy. I don't blame you for wishing for more Mary releases, music and content. I feel the same. We feel the void.

Agreed but honestly I think we are at the bulk of what we are going to get and I am so glad. However her spoken intro to "Why Can't e Get Along Together", I think would have worked better with " Life has Been Good To Me". Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post

With all due respect, how on earth did you reach the conclusion that Mary gave us everything she wanted us to have. Did she personally tell you that?.
    Im pretty sure she would have been over the moon to have more recent recordings such as the “Clarity” album out there.
    “ Letting her rest in peace” is an even stranger remark. Are you saying that now she has passed away, all such discussion regarding possible future releases should cease?.

Let me first state that I totally get the greediness as a fan. We want it all, and we want it now.

However, realistically, I really don't understand these kinds of posts. [[Don't mistake that to mean that this post shouldn't have been created, or anything like that. As fans we have the right to discuss what we want about the Supremes and I respect that right...within reason, of course.)

Mary has been gone for two years. Since her passing we've gotten both an EE of her first solo album and an anthology. We were promised that there were multiple Mary Wilson works that we would get. I don't believe that statement was ever meant to suggest that in 2022 everything would be released. There is no evidence that Mary's estate has given up on doing anything else. Zero evidence. Who knows who owns all of Mary's music? There could be other rights involved that take time to sort out. We know Mary recorded a variety of things over the years and they weren't all with the same company. That's a lot of hands in the pot that would need to agree.

If this were 2030, I might understand the conclusion. A year after her Anthology release just seems waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy to premature to start talking about how we'll never get anything else. We're still waiting on Diana 78 EE and Reflections EE which have been rumored for years now. I don't see any reason why additional Mary releases can't be on the to-do list further down the road.

As the Supremes once sang with Mary Wells, have a little patience.