[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson Holiday

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/10-hits...r-artists/?amp

Madonna – ‘Holiday’

Now, here is a what-if story for the ages. Prior to John ‘Jellybean’ Benitez beginning his songwriting partnership with Madonna, he first offered ‘Holiday’ to the soul sensation Mary Wilson. After some consideration, she knocked it back. Scorned, Benitez went for a change of tact and began a fruitful creative relationship with Madonna. ‘Holiday’ was her breakthrough hit.
    Thereafter, he wrote countless hits for the star and ensured that she became a household name. If Wilson sang ‘Holiday’, made it into a hit, and continued collaborating with Benitez, would an alternate history have unfurled? , this would of been a game changer for Mary

Jellybean didn't write "Holiday" nor did he write countless hits for Madonna. He was most useful to Madonna for his production and mixing skills.

He most likely offered it to any and every singer he came in contact with.

And using some critical judgment, a Mary Wilson sung Holiday would have sounded much different than the light voiced Madonna version and would likely have not been a commercial success

has anyone besides Mary in her Sup Faith book ever mentioned this? was there any regular interaction with Mary and Jellybean? or was this some embellished story of John and Mary at Club 54 one night and over cocktails just having a general discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    has anyone besides Mary in her Sup Faith book ever mentioned this? was there any regular interaction with Mary and Jellybean? or was this some embellished story of John and Mary at Club 54 one night and over cocktails just having a general discussion?
    IIRC, it was mentioned in an unauthorized Madonna bio from the early '90s. Phyllis Hyman also turned it down.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    And using some critical judgment, a Mary Wilson sung Holiday would have sounded much different than the light voiced Madonna version and would likely have not been a commercial success
    I think so too. I don't think the song suited her voice at all. I never was a big Madonna fan, but I did like "Holiday" when it came out. It sounded fresh and new at the time. It seemed tailor made to Madonna's voice as well, which was light and lyrical at the time but not what I would ever call a big voice.

I agree that if Mary Wilson had sung it, it would have been a much different song in tone, manner and meaning. It may not have been the hit it was with Madonna, as it was seemingly made more for a young, carefree voice[[at that time) than for Mary's deeper and sensual sound. Strange that the song was offered to Mary and Phyllis Hyman, who both have a far different sound than Madonna. Mary made a good decision to pass on it, but I understand changing her mind as it may have at the very least reignited some interest in her.

Again, was this song ever offered or presented to Mary Wilson ? Mary never mentioned this.

Jimi LaLumia

here's my original post from this Forum a few years back..originally appeared 02/23/12
    02-18-2012, 11:41 PM
    Jimi LaLumia

Join DateApr 2011Posts1,603

just returned from Dj ing the opening set @ DISCO REVISITED/OHEKA CASTLE, with a very friendly and gracious John Jellybean Benitez as the headliner[[he even sought me out to let me know I forgot a CD in the booth after my opening set[[I was his opening 'act")...and I asked him...and YES, he did play the song for Mary Wilson and NO, she didn't like it...would it have been a hit for Mary/..we'll never know, but I can tell you that, as resident DJ at THE FUNHOUSE in NYC, Jellybean was a trend setter who would have promoted the heck out of a Mary Wilson single that he produced, in that then-trend setting club, which might have led to original Disco 92 WKTU giving the single airplay, and then?? ...who knows?...he didn't say that part, I"M saying that part...[[we had a fabulous, jam packed room at Okeha Castle in Huntington, by the way...)

from :https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...t-Holiday-quot

I just dont believe Mary Wilson would ever have turned down a chance to record.

Phyliss Hyman Can't see that. By the way, Phyllis is one of my very favorites.
    If it's true, glad she passed on that ditty. Madonna did just fine with it. Mary Wilson,
    nope. Love Mary, too. Just not the right material.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Again, was this song ever offered or presented to Mary Wilson ? Mary never mentioned this.
    Mary wrote about it in one of her books.