[REMOVE ADS]

Worst non-Supremes song TV performance?

What is the worst TV performance for you of a non Supremes song? I think for me it's the Children's Christmas Song on Hullabaloo. It looks like they flew in from another city, rehearsed for 5 minutes, filmed it and rushed back out. It's clear Mary and Flo do not know the lyrics and Diana is clearly reading off cue cards.

I could do without MERCEDES BENZ by SMC on Merv Griffin.

I could do with I Got You Under My Skin

this is really hard. there are a few that might be considered weaker - Thou Swell on Sullivan is fine but not a huge standout IMO. the medley they did with the other stars on Dean Martin wasn't particularly memorable but their parts were fine. just not all that fascinating of a segment

My Fav Things on Sullivan isn't all that great in my opinion. Diana's vocals are particularly affected here. she's really overpronouncing things and the nasality of her tone is really strong. and the band track is quite brassy.

Technically, Children's Christmas Song IS a supremes song. it was an original tune and it was a 45. but it's dreadful in any format lol i hate the song on the album. Born Of Mary was an original tune and rather lovely. but Twinkle Little Me is idiotic and Children is just unlistenable. it's worse than I Want A Guy

i'm going to hijack this thread and pivot to worse tv appearances regardless of the song

Hes My Man on Tonight Show. this is a travesty in every sense and possibly one of the real death knells of the group. the band sounds awful. mary's lead vocals are as heavy and burdensome as cold molasses. i've stated before that her lead on this song was a misstep IMO as her voice just can't really carry the incredibly fast and heavy orchestration. and here on the tv show, it's worse. plus the gowns are so out of fashion. not hip, not sexy, not current. plus the voluminous skirts just swallow up all of the choreography. perhaps, just perhaps, if this was a perfect tv performance and Scherrie doing 80% of the lead with Mary helping out and a few lines for Cindy, this major national tv appearance could have helped re-establish them with the general public

Stoned Love on Tom Jones. WTF is going on with the choreography here?!?!?! totally bizarre, waaaaaayyyyy too much going on. at the bridge, M and C are way up close to the camera and jean is about 1,000 miles behind them. then there's that odd circle dance they do with the overhead camera shot?? who the fuck planned and choreographed this debacle? if it was Cholly then he must have been out of his mind temporarily

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    this is really hard. there are a few that might be considered weaker - Thou Swell on Sullivan is fine but not a huge standout IMO. the medley they did with the other stars on Dean Martin wasn't particularly memorable but their parts were fine. just not all that fascinating of a segment

My Fav Things on Sullivan isn't all that great in my opinion. Diana's vocals are particularly affected here. she's really overpronouncing things and the nasality of her tone is really strong. and the band track is quite brassy.

Technically, Children's Christmas Song IS a supremes song. it was an original tune and it was a 45. but it's dreadful in any format lol i hate the song on the album. Born Of Mary was an original tune and rather lovely. but Twinkle Little Me is idiotic and Children is just unlistenable. it's worse than I Want A Guy
    Lol, sup fan. The Grinch arrives early this year!

OMG you're right sup_fan! I feel like a dummy lol

Okay next I would say I really don't like the "Let There Be Love" duet with Andy Williams. It's boring, the music is too shrill and Mary and Florence don't sound too great. The girls don't seem too into it, even when they did the hits medley and Love is Here before they didn't seem too into it.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Lol, sup fan. The Grinch arrives early this year!
    lol well Lucky - can you find anything redeeming about the song? lol the out of tune and grating kids choir? the hapless lyrics? lol

Twinkle Twinkle Little Me just suffers from the "me" part of it. i don't mind the POV of the star singing. just the reference to "me" in the title. otherwise this isn't terrible. not great but not terrible

the only original tunes are actually ok, even pretty good
    My Christmas Tree is rather sweet. Born Of Mary was a tune i at first assumed was a traditional song, even though i wasn't familiar with it. it's one of my fav tracks on the album. Lonely Christmas was a nice one too and should have been included IMO

the only original tunes are actually ok, even pretty good
    My Christmas Tree is rather sweet. Born Of Mary was a tune i at first assumed was a traditional song, even though i wasn't familiar with it. it's one of my fav tracks on the album. Lonely Christmas was a nice one too and should have been included IMO
    On the jacket of the Natural Resources reissue of the album, BORN OF MARY is listed as "Don Gustafson - Traditional." On the internet, he seems to be credited with the lyrics. Maybe he wrote it to the melody of another song? BTW: I can't get to my cd of the recent expanded edition. Otherwise, I'd list how it is credited there.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    On the jacket of the Natural Resources reissue of the album, BORN OF MARY is listed as "Don Gustafson - Traditional." On the internet, he seems to be credited with the lyrics. Maybe he wrote it to the melody of another song? BTW: I can't get to my cd of the recent expanded edition. Otherwise, I'd list how it is credited there.
    is it? it certainly sounds traditional, which is what i thought all along. but i've never found any rendition or version of it elsewhere.

i'm going to hijack this thread and pivot to worse tv appearances regardless of the song

Hes My Man on Tonight Show. this is a travesty in every sense and possibly one of the real death knells of the group. the band sounds awful. mary's lead vocals are as heavy and burdensome as cold molasses. i've stated before that her lead on this song was a misstep IMO as her voice just can't really carry the incredibly fast and heavy orchestration. and here on the tv show, it's worse. plus the gowns are so out of fashion. not hip, not sexy, not current. plus the voluminous skirts just swallow up all of the choreography. perhaps, just perhaps, if this was a perfect tv performance and Scherrie doing 80% of the lead with Mary helping out and a few lines for Cindy, this major national tv appearance could have helped re-establish them with the general public

Stoned Love on Tom Jones. WTF is going on with the choreography here?!?!?! totally bizarre, waaaaaayyyyy too much going on. at the bridge, M and C are way up close to the camera and jean is about 1,000 miles behind them. then there's that odd circle dance they do with the overhead camera shot?? who the fuck planned and choreographed this debacle? if it was Cholly then he must have been out of his mind temporarily

My choices are:

My World is Empty [[Sammy Davis show): Flo is still on lead mic from Andrews Sister performance so she's coming on too loud and makes a great record that's already been turned into a Vegas show tune sound even worse. Diana notices and in middle of performance steps to block Flo from being seen. Trainwreck.

Let Yourself Go, MSS on Merv Griffin: All 3 competing to out sing each other. Frenetic choreography, ugly stage costumes, another poor translation of a hot recording to a live setting.

MSS 60s hit singles medley, Mike Douglas: Rush medley of songs overperformed by MSS to a studio audience clearly not impressed with what they are seeing/hearing.

Truth be told during the live MSS tv appearances I was more turned off listening to Susaye try to do her whistle note but sounding kinda broken up

Mary's ghastly, lip-synched cover of CCR's 'Green River'. Hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    My choices are:

My World is Empty [[Sammy Davis show): Flo is still on lead mic from Andrews Sister performance so she's coming on too loud and makes a great record that's already been turned into a Vegas show tune sound even worse. Diana notices and in middle of performance steps to block Flo from being seen. Trainwreck
    I love this version with Flo having her moment in the sun. She’s so loud it’s almost a duet between her and Diana. Mary may as well not be there.
    Not sure i would want to hear it all the time, but as a one off it’s fun. Flo should have taken her mic and moved forward when Diana steps in front to block her lol.

I hate JMC doing Love The One Your With.
    The children's Christmas song was. Lackluster

I do remember one performance on Bob hope ,they are wearing white short dresses, only one singing is Diana while Mary and Cindy were dancing around her.
    I thought then ,the end was near