After You
    Come in From The Rain
    No One Gets The Prize
    Give Up
    Crimes Of Passion
    Hard for Me To Say
    All Night Lover

"It's All Been Said Before" by MSC.

Definitely would agree about Going Down for the Third Time....one of their all-time great songs.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    what songs do you think are lost , missed gems of Dianas career

if i were BG or...
    Supremes ,Going Down For the Third Time

Chains of Love
    Ill Set you Free

Diana solo

These Things Keep Me Loving You
    If You see Him
    all Of my Life
    After You
    Come in From The Rain
    No One Gets The Prize
    Give Up
    Crimes Of Passion
    Hard for Me To Say
    All Night Lover
    “All Of My Life” was a top ten hit in the UK. Terrific song and vocal performance from M’s Ross. Never understood why it was exclusive to Britannia.

Tons of missed singles, the obvious ones are

Ask Any Girl
    He's All I Got
    Then We Can Try Again
    Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music
    You're What's Missing In My Life

"Mother Dear"
    "Don't Let True Love Die"
    And "Everything Is Good About You" should've followed "I Hear A Symphony" as an A-side.

Long list, but standouts are....
    Supremes.

Ask Any Girl
    The Only Time I’m Happy
    Evening Train
    I’ll Set You Free
    You Gave Me Love.

Diana Ross
    These Things Will Keep Me Loving You
    Close To You
    And If You See Him
    Wont Last A Day
    Just Say Just Say
    Give Up
    Stay With Me
    You Do It
    SHINE
    Until We Meet Again [[remix)
    Carry On
    In Your Heart.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Definitely would agree about Going Down for the Third Time....one of their all-time great songs.
    it's an excellent song. but my thought is that it was one of MANY excellent songs all released at the same time. Going Down is wonderful but IMO i doesn't compare to the A sides that were released between You Can't Hurry Love and Reflections. sure it's a stronger song than In And Out but by late 67, Going Down might not have been as innovative. after the prior singles, Going Down might not have been cutting edge enough

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it's an excellent song. but my thought is that it was one of MANY excellent songs all released at the same time. Going Down is wonderful but IMO i doesn't compare to the A sides that were released between You Can't Hurry Love and Reflections. sure it's a stronger song than In And Out but by late 67, Going Down might not have been as innovative. after the prior singles, Going Down might not have been cutting edge enough
    I agree about "Going Down" being a wonderful song; however, for it to have been a hit contender, IMO, it would have needed to remastered or even re-recorded with a more Snake Pit instrumentalist vibe. To me, the instrumentation/mix was not gritty enough...too sterile sounding. I've often speculated that it sounds like the West Coast musicians with maybe Jamerson being dubbed in. Although it was nice to hear the stereo version with the extra 'Save me, save me' lines added, I felt those extra backing vocals took away from the distressed pleading 'Saaave me' we heard on the mono version.

Going Down for the third time definitely
    Together we can make such sweet music.
    Time to Break Down

Missed opportunities:

Together we can make such sweet music
    Why Must We Fall In Love [[with the temps)
    I'm Glad About it [[with the Tops)
    Loving Country
    5:30 Plane

Sweet Surrender [[from WDFFIL lp)
    No One Gets the Prize
    Dark Side of the World
    All of my life
    Just Say [[from Marvin album)
    You were the one

Evening Train
    This old heart of mine

totally forgot about Just Say w Marvin
    just listening now as I type this, what a gem
    how was this overlooked
    Last edited by daviddh; 11-17-2022 at 07:57 PM.

supremes 70s
    lovin country
    together we can make such sweet music
    its all been said before
    sha la bandit
    sweet dream machine
    bend a little

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I agree about "Going Down" being a wonderful song; however, for it to have been a hit contender, IMO, it would have needed to remastered or even re-recorded with a more Snake Pit instrumentalist vibe. To me, the instrumentation/mix was not gritty enough...too sterile sounding. I've often speculated that it sounds like the West Coast musicians with maybe Jamerson being dubbed in. Although it was nice to hear the stereo version with the extra 'Save me, save me' lines added, I felt those extra backing vocals took away from the distressed pleading 'Saaave me' we heard on the mono version.
    No. This was a Detroit recording 100%. The "ringing"/glistening tones of the guitar track in no way could have come out of LA. Also, there's a certain sound Motown had that came from the guitar chords being doubled by the vibraphone [[it's even more noticeable with the new mix on the Extended CD) and the LA players didn't have this arranging technique. You can also hear Motown's "trinity" of guitarists here with one playing the melody line along with the bass, piano and vibes, while the other two play the supporting chords. The drums don't have the "dead" tone quality of LA recordings, whereas Motown's Detroit recordings have a crisper bite to them. The horns DEFINITELY aren't LA. The mix might sound a little flat but these are the Funk Brothers all the way. I've spent a lifetime studying the Funk Brothers playing styles and Motown's studio mixing/sonic styles and it gets to where you can tell the difference between the LA stuff and the Detroit stuff.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 11-18-2022 at 04:20 AM.

Looking at the posts above, we were fortunate to have All Of My Life and Why [[Must We Fall In Love) released as singles in the UK. They are very strong songs and performances.

I add the following:

Supremes era:

Going Down For The Third Time
    There's No Stopping Us Now
    I'm Gonna Make It [[I Will Wait For you)

Diana Ross solo era:

My Place
    Baby It's Love
    Give Up
    Carry On
    Dark Side Of The World but as a duet with Marvin Gaye

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    No. This was a Detroit recording 100%. The "ringing"/glistening tones of the guitar track in no way could have come out of LA. Also, there's a certain sound Motown had that came from the guitar chords being doubled by the vibraphone [[it's even more noticeable with the new mix on the Extended CD) and the LA players didn't have this arranging technique. You can also hear Motown's "trinity" of guitarists here with one playing the melody line along with the bass, piano and vibes, while the other two play the supporting chords. The drums don't have the "dead" tone quality of LA recordings, whereas Motown's Detroit recordings have a crisper bite to them. The horns DEFINITELY aren't LA. The mix might sound a little flat but these are the Funk Brothers all the way. I've spent a lifetime studying the Funk Brothers playing styles and Motown's studio mixing/sonic styles and it gets to where you can tell the difference between the LA stuff and the Detroit stuff.
    Thanks for your opinion and your detailed observations. I, too, am not a novice to analyzing mixing/sonic styles, and while you make very excellent points, I'm still not convinced that this is a 100% Detroit production. All in all, this excellent recording deserves some compression on the instrument tracks to give it more 'umph' to become single ready.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    totally forgot about Just Say w Marvin
    just listening now as I type this, what a gem
    how was this overlooked
    on the Diana Ross Project, the author/reviewer sorts of calls this track out as being one of the duds. or at least that it sounds quite unfinished and that the vocals seem more like they're just doing a demo rather than investing their all in the song.

usually i'm right inline with this guy's comments but i don't agree on this one. i think it's wonderful

"There's No Stopping Us Now" is good, but some of the lyrics in the verses are a poor fit to the melody, and it needs a better sax break where none of the notes are fluffed.

on the Diana Ross Project, the author/reviewer sorts of calls this track out as being one of the duds. or at least that it sounds quite unfinished and that the vocals seem more like they're just doing a demo rather than investing their all in the song.

usually i'm right inline with this guy's comments but i don't agree on this one. i think it's wonderful
    I also disagree with the DRP comments. It’s a beautifully poignant song, that would most likely have done very well as a single.
    I consider Diana to be the more prominent vocalist on the song, with Marvin holding back a ‘tad to compliment Diana’s wistful vocals.
    Along with the immaculate “You Are ”Everything” it’s most probably my favourite track from the “D&M” album.

Thanks for your opinion and your detailed observations. I, too, am not a novice to analyzing mixing/sonic styles, and while you make very excellent points, I'm still not convinced that this is a 100% Detroit production. All in all, this excellent recording deserves some compression on the instrument tracks to give it more 'umph' to become single ready.
    The drummer isn't Benny, Pistol or Uriel. They attempt a Benny pick-up, but Benny's pick-ups end as sharply as they begin, whereas this drummer's pick-up goes on a bit longer after the initial 'burst'.

The horns actually sound a little like the horns on "Seek And You Shall Find" by The Isley Brothers, and those horns were recorded in New York.

I can't hear any L.A. in there, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I also disagree with the DRP comments. It’s a beautifully poignant song, that would most likely have done very well as a single.
    I consider Diana to be the more prominent vocalist on the song, with Marvin holding back a ‘tad to compliment Diana’s wistful vocals.
    Along with the immaculate “You Are ”Everything” it’s most probably my favorite track from the “D&M” album.
    i agree. much of the album is lackluster IMO. most definitely NOT up to the level or standard of what a TRUE D &M duet album could have been. this should have been an amazing moment for the two and delivered timeless music that actually stood the test of time. and should have had a song or two that topped the charts

you are everything is a great one

and i like Special Part of Me. it's not perfection but i think it's really good

Just Say is stunning

It was all done in Detroit with the Funk Brothers. Motown session logs for Studio A have the track being recorded June 1, 1966 and assigned to the Elgins. The track was reassigned to the Supremes with Diana adding her lead June 16 and then Mary & Flo and later the Andantes being added June 21.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    It was all done in Detroit with the Funk Brothers. Motown session logs for Studio A have the track being recorded June 1, 1966 and assigned to the Elgins. The track was reassigned to the Supremes with Diana adding her lead June 16 and then Mary & Flo and later the Andantes being added June 21.
    So???

Who cares?

oh wow - i didn't realize the As were on this one

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    So???

Who cares?

Well a few people on here didn’t think it was done with the Funks in Detroit and the session logs and tape cards indicate it was. Just wanted to share the facts.

I took a break from this site for a while and now I’m thinking it’s time for me to leave this site for good.

Well a few people on here didn’t think it was done with the Funks in Detroit and the session logs and tape cards indicate it was. Just wanted to share the facts.

I took a break from this site for a while and now I’m thinking it’s time for me to leave this site for good.
    please don't - really love your insight and knowledge. your posts are always fascinating

Sorry. No offence was intended.

My reply was intended as a tongue-in-cheek theatrical reply from a kid who didn't want to admit that they were wrong. Hence the smiley.

Your information has already actually been filed into my personal database [[the one in my head) and I'm going to have to listen to the track again.

So... who was that drummer, I wonder.

Don't. Take another break. I contemplated the exact same thing. Many, many, many, many, many times. I think you'll end up missing it in a weird, twisted way. Social media is odd this way. You provide some kind of insight and someone comes out of the bushes sniping at it. You provide some serious knowledge here and if you go, I'll still see you on YouTube, but something will be seriously lost here.

oh wow - i didn't realize the As were on this one
    sup_fan they're on the stereo version of the song. They are the ones responding to Mary and Flo's "Save meee" with the "Save me, save me". Although the first time I heard the song, I thought it was Diana doing those lol.

This is definitely a lesson for me about how humour doesn't always come across properly on the web.

Without seeing facial cues and body language, and without hearing the speaker's voice it's often very hard to tell whether someone is being serious or humorous.

It wasn't even possible for people to see me flouncing off in a huff. [[Probably just as well. )

Sorry Brad.

PS Just listening to side one of "I Had A Love" by Ben E. King. Lovely stuff! Killer title track.

WWLFAC is bang is correct about GDFTTT- Detroit recording 100%!

The drummer on 'Going Down for the Third Time' was Pistol. He was also on 'It's the Same Old Song', 'I'll Guess I'll Always Love You', 'Heatwave', & 'I'll Turn to Stone' [all on 'The Supremes Sing HDH'].

For comparison, 'There's No Stopping Us Now' and Mother You Smother' was Benny.

[To those that have the 'Sing HDH' Expanded Edition, Pistol is the drummer on the extended alternate take of 'You Keep Me Hanging On' whilst Benny is on the hit version.]

Cheers

Paul

P.S. WWLFAC you have a PM!

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    sup_fan they're on the stereo version of the song. They are the ones responding to Mary and Flo's "Save meee" with the "Save me, save me". Although the first time I heard the song, I thought it was Diana doing those lol.
    my mistake. when i read Brad's comment, i thought we were discussing YKMHO. and i was like what??!?!?! the A's are on that record??

but i've re-read the posts and realize we were discussing Going Down Third Time. and yep, the A's are on the stereo version for that i think. and only that version. the other one doesn't have the extra Save Me, Save Me vocals

Quote Originally Posted by bradburger View Post
    WWLFAC is bang is correct about GDFTTT- Detroit recording 100%!

The drummer on 'Going Down for the Third Time' was Pistol. He was also on 'It's the Same Old Song', 'I'll Guess I'll Always Love You', 'Heatwave', & 'I'll Turn to Stone' [all on 'The Supremes Sing HDH'].

For comparison, 'There's No Stopping Us Now' and Mother You Smother' was Benny.

[To those that have the 'Sing HDH' Expanded Edition, Pistol is the drummer on the extended alternate take of 'You Keep Me Hanging On' whilst Benny is on the hit version.]

Cheers

Paul

P.S. WWLFAC you have a PM!
    Many thanks for this info.

Diana and the Supremes:

The Composer
    Evening Train

Diana:

Wish I Knew - Not the released version but the unreleased "Lost and Found" one which was supposed to be a Supremes track but being unfinished ended as being a Diana solo.
    I'm not generally a fan of Diana's solo work but I think this sounds fantastic.

Hey, bradsupremes. Thank you for your documentation that this was a Detroit/Studio A production. I appreciate fans' opinions and their 'this is what I hear' observations; however, sometimes their insight can be presented as if what they say is factual. I had made it clear that mine was an opinion based on what I was hearing.
    Last edited by jobucats; 11-19-2022 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stax_of_Motown View Post
    Diana and the Supremes:

The Composer
    Evening Train

Diana:

Wish I Knew - Not the released version but the unreleased "Lost and Found" one which was supposed to be a Supremes track but being unfinished ended as being a Diana solo.
    I'm not generally a fan of Diana's solo work but I think this sounds fantastic.
    The Composer was a single

I was one the who didn't think it was a Detroit recorded track; however, I was careful not to state my opinion/observations as a facts. Bradsupremes, you were kind enough to share the facts [[based on the logs), and for that I am appreciative.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    The Composer was a single
    I’ve never believed that rumour.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I’ve never believed that rumour.
    I wonder if they sped up the single version of The Composer to get it over and done with quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I wonder if they sped up the single version of The Composer to get it over and done with quickly?
    They should have gone all the way and made it a bombastic dance number lol. Anything to add some excitement. Is this the only Supremes single that was ever to be sped up i wonder?.

Supremes- "Any Girl In Love", "I Wish I Were Your Mirror"

Diana Ross- "I Heard a Love Song"

Flo Ballard- "Forever Faithful"

Mary Wilson- "Pick Up the Pieces"