Watch List
    Add to Order
    Add to Cart

Related searches

Supremes
    Motown
    Motown [[label)
    Soul [[CD, LP)

Mid 60s classics from The Supremes – and the girls are in prime hit mode on this tasty CD that features two classic albums back to back! The records both feature Diana Ross and the girls performing tunes not normally associated with them – including many soul hits of the 60s, plus other pop numbers given a Motown soul approach. Titles include "You've Been So Wonderful To Me", "Love Child", "Keep An Eye", "How Long Has The Evening Train Been Gone", "Does Your Mama Know About Me", "He's My Sunny Boy", "You Can't Hurry Love", "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart", "This Old Heart Of Mine", and "I Can't Help Myself". © 1996-2022, Dusty Groove, Inc.
    [[Includes slipcase and original case – in nice shape too!)

i only had a couple of these. i remember in the early 90s when they released just about every 60s album and a few of the 70s albums on individual cds. i opted to get those due to the faithful reproduction of the cover art. and to have each individual album. for a couple that you couldn't get or find, i bought a 2-fer.

i remember some criticism at the time that this was degrading the quality of the catalog. that it was making things too cheap. but i didn't find it any more degrading that the massive amount of repackaging of greatest hits that the label did

In my opinion, the quality and mastering of the UK 2-fers was much better than anything Motown had produced domestically [[in the US) prior to that. In addition, many of the UK 2-fers had bonus tracks which included some hard to find singles or B-sides, although I don't think this was true of the Supremes' sets.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i only had a couple of these. i remember in the early 90s when they released just about every 60s album and a few of the 70s albums on individual cds. i opted to get those due to the faithful reproduction of the cover art. and to have each individual album. for a couple that you couldn't get or find, i bought a 2-fer.

i remember some criticism at the time that this was degrading the quality of the catalog. that it was making things too cheap. but i didn't find it any more degrading that the massive amount of repackaging of greatest hits that the label did
    In his book TO BE LOVED, Berry said that the 90s reissues helped the bottom line. But I think he was a bit dismayed to see albums like WHAT'S GOING ON released without the importance they deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In his book TO BE LOVED, Berry said that the 90s reissues helped the bottom line. But I think he was a bit dismayed to see albums like WHAT'S GOING ON released without the importance they deserved.
    George also discusses the 2-fers in the discography to Randy's latest Diana book. he mentions that, at the time, no one really knew just how long cds would last. look at the short time 8-tracks were popular. then cassette tapes. so there could very well be new formats on the horizon. so they wanted to get the catalog out there and, like you said, drive sales.

it's also interesting that at this time they started to tap into the vaults. with the 25th Anniversary set in the mid-80s, they finally released a healthy amount of vault content. i think Harry and George both mentioned how hard it was to convince Execs to do this - the thinking being no one would care or be interested in this "stuff." but the strong response to 25 led to the cd Never Before Release Masters. and then of course the subsequent Anthologies started to use other content and then the Expanded Editions.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    George also discusses the 2-fers in the discography to Randy's latest Diana book. he mentions that, at the time, no one really knew just how long cds would last. look at the short time 8-tracks were popular. then cassette tapes. so there could very well be new formats on the horizon. so they wanted to get the catalog out there and, like you said, drive sales.

it's also interesting that at this time they started to tap into the vaults. with the 25th Anniversary set in the mid-80s, they finally released a healthy amount of vault content. i think Harry and George both mentioned how hard it was to convince Execs to do this - the thinking being no one would care or be interested in this "stuff." but the strong response to 25 led to the cd Never Before Release Masters. and then of course the subsequent Anthologies started to use other content and then the Expanded Editions.
    I haven't read his book in a while but I think Berry mentioned being disappointed at seeing WHAT'S GOING ON issued on a 2fer with LET'S GET IT ON. But as has been said before, the aim was to get those releases out there, not necessarily quality. It is great that people like George, Harry, and Andy brought about the change.

does anyone know what was the first expanded release? im guessing it was the rereleases of WGO, LGIO and I Want You. and i think they did Diana Ross 70 around this time. although not as expansive at the Gaye sets.

Diana Ross and the girls!

Not so polite