[REMOVE ADS]

What is the Craziest Motown Record ever!

What is the Craziest Motown Record ever! included in DFTMC or not!

Attachment 20046

There are around 400 records that belong to Motown/Jobete that are not on Motown labels and not including any of the Billy Davis & Ed Wingate labels that Berry Gordy purchased. There are some incredible [[Jobete) records and others that are really naff.
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 11-16-2022 at 03:37 AM.

I vote for Popcorn Wylie's "Custer's Last Man" as the craziest Motown Record.

Eh! Cumpari. Gaylord and Holiday. No idea why Motown even wanted this. And it charted nationally!!

There's quite a few, lol......I'd go with Captain Zap and the Motortown Cut-Ups.

How about Motown 1047 [[B)

Pig Knuckles by the Morrocco Musik Makers?

I have it; can't say I ever played it, but it sounds dreadful.

Red Jones "Steerikes Back" [[1969 Motown LP

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31371965262...mis&media=COPY

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa..good stuff, i've often wondered that myself.

Maybe The Ding Dongs "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose It's Flavour On The Bed Post Overnight" or even the whole "Gimme Dat Ding" album.

Whilst the single "Gimme Dat Ding" was scheduled for a Motown single released it was withdrawn it seems but the mystery to me is why it wasn't still included on The Complete Motown Singles Volume 10 [[1970). None of the album tracks seem to be available to hear on YouTube [[or anywhere else).

Another mystery is who were The Ding Dongs? The song was written by Hammond/Hazlewood and the album produced by a Tom King and arranged by David Van DePitte. Graham Betts in his Motown Encyclopedia that it was most likely Bobby Darin. Really?

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  21.1 KB
    How can you choose this record as "The CRAZIEST" record produced by Motown, when you don't even know how it sounds? It's not even remotely memorable in ANY way, let alone CRAZY. The title might seem unusual. But it's not really, because Jazz instrumentals are often given a random name. Pigs knuckles is a common Soul Food. So, its like is a pretty normal type of title for a Jazz instrumental B-side of an R&B/early Soul group vocal A-side. "Pigs Knuckles" is a moderately weak Jazz instrumental, that is listenable, and not really objectionable in any way. "Get To School on Time" is a fairly run-of-the-mill early 1960s Motown male group uptempo song, only slightly novelty, and could have been sung by The Miracles, Satintones, Creations, Equadors, as opposed to the highly novelty-oriented Contours. To me, it isn't anywhere near the ridiculous, crazy, terrible, novelty, political, strange genres for Motown, that would qualify for the term, "Crazy", in relation to Motown's normal products.

I would say that "We're Off To Dublin In The Green" by the Canadian, Irish , Abbey Tavern Singers is weird for Motown to have released on VIP.

Also, "Randy The Newspaper Boy" on VIP, - absolutely horrendous, and excruciating pain to listen to.

Also, the supposed comedy cut-in record by Jack Haney, pretending to be an interview with the Communist Leaders of The Soviet Union on Mel-O-dy Records in 1962 was particularly wretched. It's a lot worse than Captain Zap.

Also "Seen' Nellie Home" by Bluegrass banjo player, Cranford Nix, although really excellent quality and great sounding Bluegrass music, is a weird genre for Motown to be recording. Same for the Johnny Powers Elvis Presley impression Rock-A-Billy cuts, and The Messengers' weak surf-style cuts, and the South African Zulu lion hunt song "I Comma Zimba Zio" by Abdullah on Soul Records. And the French lounge singer, Richard Anthony' awful VIP 45. Joel Sebastion's awful "Whitebread teen ballad" on Miracle Records from 1961. Willy Schobben's EuroPop schmaltzy trumpet playing, which spawned this thread, Red Jones, Willie Tyler and Lester. ALL these are much "crazier" than a run-of-the-mill 1962 R&B/Jazz Motown release.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    What is the Craziest Motown Record ever! included in DFTMC or not!

Attachment 20046

There are around 400 records that belong to Motown/Jobete that are not on Motown labels and not including any of the Billy Davis & Ed Wingate labels that Berry Gordy purchased. There are some incredible [[Jobete) records and others that are really naff.
    Please could you tell me what the Motown connection is to the ~Willy Schobben record

Bobby Darin recorded a single for Brunswick under the name The Ding Dongs. After Splish Splash hit, it was reissued as The Rinky Dinks. Maybe that's why he thinks it might be Darin.

Two words: Irene Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Two words: Irene Ryan.
    LOL! Well, that was her number from Pippin, so in context, not so crazy. On its face, it's wild, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Calv1971 View Post
    Please could you tell me what the Motown connection is to the ~Willy Schobben record
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  21.1 KB
    A European Tamla-Motown Subsidiary/franchise must have distributed it. Perhaps the German, Dutch, or Italian?

My guess is that the Filipino Tamla-Motown franchise probably pressed. issued, and distributed Filipino folk music records whose recordings would make the Willy Schobben cuts sound really good to us. Just like US Motown Record Corp. distributed record labels or leased individual records whose production had nothing to do with Motown Record Corp., Motown's overseas franchises distributed leased product from otherwise totally unrelated local and record companies from other regions.

from my perspective , this one released from Motown just seemed crazy.

WHO at the label thought the sound of this French disco song was a fit for Motown representation ?

I can't see what Berry saw in her that appealed to him ....or wait, can I ....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-17-2022 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post

I wasn’t expecting great things, but I actually quite like this one. Rather funky