[REMOVE ADS]

What I Heard At Potbelly's Sandwich Shop

Nothing earth shattering, but I was with a friend today at "Potbelly's," one of those chain theme-styled sandwich restaurants, and like a zap of lightning, my ears picked up first on a voice being played over the sound system. Then I realized it was Diana Ross's voice. Ok. Nice. But THEN- I realized it wasn't a hit song- it was "He's My Sunny Boy"!!!!!!! It took all my strength to now jump out of my skin in front of my friend [[who I'm sure wouldn't get it at all.) What I really thought was cool though was that it didn't sound at all out of place amongst the rest of the songs played afterward- all current songs, no oldies at all. It's really amazing the ultra-obscure Motown stuff I've heard when I'm out shopping or eating. Whoever programs this stuff, there must be some deep-cuts Motown fans in the mix.

Not quite the same but when I worked at Eddie Bauer's, I heard Diana's CROSS MY HEART coming out over the PA system. I remember being surprised that a relatively obscure non-hit was chosen.

I found out later that there was a company that prepared compilations for stores to use as background music. I have no idea of the company's name or if they are still in existence.

Back in the day, Muzak used to provide background music for retail stores and businesses. It was affectionately called elevator music.

I just did a search and Muzak is still around doing the same thing, but it is now called Mood Media.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Back in the day, Muzak used to provide background music for retail stores and businesses. It was affectionately called elevator music.

I just did a search and Muzak is still around doing the same thing, but it is now called Mood Media.
    I forgot about Muzak.

When I was at EB's, the manager kept a set of music tapes in her office. The tapes were grouped by genre, and looked like oversized 8-tracks for play in a special deck.

A few years ago I was getting ice cream at a local ice cream chain in my area. I was sitting underneath one of the store speakers and noticed Kim Weston's "Take Me In Your Arms [[Rock Me A Little While)" playing. Not an obscure song so I wasn't totally suprised but then I realized it wasn't the single version we all know but the alternate vocal that came out on her Motown Anthology in the UK about 20 years ago. I stopped eating just to hear it play. I've heard it hundreds of times but to hear it in a different element that what I'm usually used to can be quite exciting.

I've had similar experiences at the movies.

I remember being surprised to hear the Vandellas' WITH A GUY LIKE YOU during the film HITCH. I also remember going to see the film STEPMOM and hearing for the first time, the version of AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH where both Marvin and Tammi can be heard during the final verse. In both cases, I thought they were interesting choices as opposed to going with the familiar.

I was amazed when I was out with friends having drinks. "Bill, When Are You Comin Back" by The Supremes came on! I never thought it would have made a great single but hearing it over the sound system changed my mind. I asked where they got their music and was told that it is a playlist that the bar paid for and it changed out every week or so.
    Last edited by thommg; 11-16-2022 at 12:00 PM.

I typically resent the cheapening of special secret songs that mean something extra to me. Why should snot nosed kids eating at McDonalds have such easy access to such treasures. You have to earn it!!!!
    hee haw!

About 10 years ago I went to a screening of a documentary about the New York Cosmos and their 70s hey day. Big surprise that for one segment of the film "He's My Man" was on the soundtrack.

And I've been to a few bars that put on a Motown playlist on their music streaming service and the service played an alternate or extended version of a big Motown hit.

I love the responses, all of which highlights one thing: the music in these public places is INFINITELY better than anything on the radio! It just amazes me that these compilers make the most interesting choices of Motown material, going for album tracks, alternate mixes and overlooked singles. Their choices are better than the constant rehashing of the same 5 songs on Motown Greatest Hits playlists.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    A few years ago I was getting ice cream at a local ice cream chain in my area. I was sitting underneath one of the store speakers and noticed Kim Weston's "Take Me In Your Arms [[Rock Me A Little While)" playing. Not an obscure song so I wasn't totally suprised but then I realized it wasn't the single version we all know but the alternate vocal that came out on her Motown Anthology in the UK about 20 years ago. I stopped eating just to hear it play. I've heard it hundreds of times but to hear it in a different element that what I'm usually used to can be quite exciting.
    Makes you wonder how that came to be. I mean, SOMEBODY had to have been a deep-track Motown fan to get that particular mix- and what an exciting version that one is!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I've had similar experiences at the movies.

I remember being surprised to hear the Vandellas' WITH A GUY LIKE YOU during the film HITCH. I also remember going to see the film STEPMOM and hearing for the first time, the version of AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH where both Marvin and Tammi can be heard during the final verse. In both cases, I thought they were interesting choices as opposed to going with the familiar.
    I remember when I read about the Vandellas' song being included on the HITCH soundtrack. I wish I knew how that choice was made. Was one of the compilers a diehard Motown fan? I mean how often do you hear vault material being given such mainstream exposure.

Well, this morning I walked into a small shop and was greeted with Florence Ballard singing Silent Night! At first I was annoyed because they were already playing Christmas songs, but I relaxed when I realized it was Flo.

The Cafe Nero I go to plays Nathan Jones pretty regularly. Also I was walking past a Louis vutton at Copley Plaza when I heard Bad Weather being played.