[REMOVE ADS]

Trying To Complete Another List:

it appears the Supremes did more religious-message songs in the early 70s. was this due to influence from Jean and Cindy? the group's live and television shows included most of these debuts as opposed to the recorded albums:

-Holy Moses
    -May His Love Shine Forever
    -Lean On Me
    -He Ain't Heavy
    -Feeling Good
    -O Happy Day
    -Heaven Help Us All
    -Macarthur Park

can you experts help me with any other titles and perhaps why the group was including them at the time in their live shows? appreciate it!

Maybe I'm dreaming, but didn't the Supremes [[70's) also include "I'll Take You There" in their live performances?

Supremes also did Save The Country. I think it was just the trend of the day, gospel music was beginning to come on stronger, Edwin Hawkins had just had a massive hit with Oh Happy Day [[which the Supremes also sang in their act). When disco took over a few years later everything else kinda took a dive

Ramone Verona Guest
    Always enjoyed these kinds of songs when I heard them from the Supremes.
    Did not care for Jean's version of "People" or "Brother".
    Maybe it was the recordings, though.
    I would love to know if professional studio versions exist!

smark21 Guest
    MacArthur Park is a religious or message song? Not sure I agree with that. Always considered it more of a song about a relationship gone bust.

One reason why the Jean led group is oftentimes the one I enjoy most is because they tackled more significant themes in their songs. It wasn't just songs about relationships, having sex and dancing. Shine On Me, Thank Him for Today, Wisdom of Time and When Can Brown Begin can be added to the list.

Ramone Verona Guest
    I think Chester wants songs that were not on vinyl.
    The Supremes must have had an outtake we have yet to hear from the ROCK GOSPEL LP.
    It could be one of these songs from their live act.
    Might be on the unreleased "Vegas" concert George talked about.

During that era of the early 70's "Church Rock", "Christian Rock" etc was very popular in general much of it due to the over all success of the play "Jesus Christ Superstar". You had popular songs from popular artist such as:

My Sweet Lord - George Harrison
    Oh Happy Day - The Edwin Hawkins Singers
    Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum
    Lay Down [[Candles in the Rain) Melanie
    Jesus Is Just Alright - The Doobie Brothers
    United We Stand - Brotherhood Of Man
    Share The Land - The Guess Who
    Heaven Help Us All - Stevie Wonder
    Put Your Hand In The Hand - Ocean

There were others. These are just a few off the top of my head.
    Last edited by marv2; 06-09-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Stealing In The Name Of the Lord
    Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    Stealing In The Name Of the Lord
    Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show
    Yes! You can see that there was definitely a trend during the those years of the very late 60's and early 70's.

thankyou all. i had forgotten about "I'll take you there-Save the country-Stealing-Brother Love's". A studio vault track of any of these for album filler would be fun to have. George or Andy may be able to let us know if they have seen any of these titles save for the live versions?

Yes they were very God-centric in those the times.... just imagine if they reformed now and tried to adapt to today's chart trends... they'd have to do the exact opposite & record a song with the F Word in the title and hook to get airplay...