[REMOVE ADS]

If You Should Walk Away

"If You Should Walk Away" from the DRATS & Temptations album/cd: "Joined Together-The Complete Studio Duets". I do know that this was a merger of the 2 studio albums the group released in the last 10 or so years including some previously unreleased selections.

Question: What's the backstory as to why this song was included being that, unless they're hid somewhere in the background, the Temptations are not on this song? Not a favorite of mine [[rather dull vocally). I do know that Chris Clark also recorded it [[all dull, imo).

I haven't read through the booklet that came with it in eons, so I can't remember if the backstory of the song is mentioned. I've always assumed that it was originally meant as a duet for the two groups but only the Supremes cut vocals. I assume that's also the case with "A House Is Not a Home" and "Got To Get You Into My Life", although on these the Tempts recorded their backing vocals but no lead. There's a similar case as "If You Should Walk Away" on the Supremes and Tops complete duets set. "Poinciana" apparently never got Supremes vocals, just Tops. And, like "House" and "Got To Get", "Joy To the World" doesn't have any Supreme lead vocals, only Supremes backing vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I haven't read through the booklet that came with it in eons, so I can't remember if the backstory of the song is mentioned. I've always assumed that it was originally meant as a duet for the two groups but only the Supremes cut vocals. I assume that's also the case with "A House Is Not a Home" and "Got To Get You Into My Life", although on these the Tempts recorded their backing vocals but no lead. There's a similar case as "If You Should Walk Away" on the Supremes and Tops complete duets set. "Poinciana" apparently never got Supremes vocals, just Tops. And, like "House" and "Got To Get", "Joy To the World" doesn't have any Supreme lead vocals, only Supremes backing vocals.
    The mix of "A House Is Not A Home" on the Join Together collection really buried the background vocals. I heard an alternate mix of the track where the backgrounds were more prominent and it's so much better.

I'm fairly certain there are two sets of Supremes background vocals on "Got To Get You Into My Life." It sounds like one set is Mary & Cindy with the Temptations and then the other set is just Mary & Cindy. I'd love to get a new mix with just DMC on the Love Child expanded.

There is a brief Jean vocal on "Poinciana." She had to have recorded more than what we heard, possibly a full vocal. I wonder if the mix we got on the Magnificent collection was one done in the 70s that muted more of her vocals. A new mix would shed more light on more of what she did.

Thanks Brad! How in the hell did I miss Jean's very brief vocal? I've listened to the song countless times and just never noticed Jean until you pointed her out. I can't explain that one. I'm tempted to resign my position as president of the unofficial Jean Terrell fan club.