[REMOVE ADS]

Dirty Looks: Diana Ross or Warp 9?

Just learned that Dirty Looks was originally recorded by a group called Warp 9. Which version do you all prefer? Theirs, or Diana Ross?

Very similar so I love them both.

The versions are rather similar but I like Diana's more. I think Warp 9's might be better with a good edit.

I like Diana's better. It has more "oomph" to it. This is the first time I've heard Warp 9's version. I like it too.

No fan of the song, but Diana’s version is for me the superior.
    It was never going to knock the world sideways.

Wow! I learn something new everyday. Because of the way she delivers it vocally, and visually via video, I always thought Dirty Looks was tailor-made for Diana. Only because I am familiar with the way that she can deliver a lyric can I rate hers over the version by Warp 9. I went back and listened to some of their other products being that I don't recall them at all back in the 80s. They had quite a catchy sound and their productions were on top.

Wow! I didn't know "Dirty Looks" was a cover! All the more curious why she would include it on RHR&B since it didn't really fit the musical aesthetic. The best that can be said about "Dirty Looks" is that it was not her worst RCA single.

I really don’t care for either one of them, but I suppose if I had to choose one to listen to a second time, it would be Warp 9. I don’t really care for either of the lead vocals but I like the track better I think. I just really hate this record. What is your preference?

Edge to Ross due to her vocal. As usual she gives a personable performance while the Warp 9 vocals are on the generic side. I like 80s style productions as a rule but some have aged badly and both versions suffer from questionable production choices of that era.

It’s really too bad that she had no one to tell her what a horrible horrible song this is. By this time I think RCA just wanted her gone but there had to be someone who knew this was going to stink up the place big time. It is with that question my least favorite of every single release of her career.

At best a tepid album track with cheesy lyrics. It really was the worst choice for single since the abysmal “So Close”.
    I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. “SHINE” should def have been the lead single. It packed a punch and had a memorable hook.