[REMOVE ADS]

favorite non-supremes song tv performance

the Bing Crosby special thread has a comment about how someone finds the group's performance of Do Not Forsake Me to be one of the best tv songs they did

so which one is your favorite? which performance by one of the lineups that is NOT one of their hits singles or album tracks is the best?

i think the Fats Waller medley is just about near perfection. there are a few very very minor slip ups that only the more insane fan would pick up on lol - like me. Diana's arm sort of misses the piano and there's a point where Mary just isn't quite as in sync with her kicks. but their [[prerecorded) vocals are sensational, the choreography is very complex and beautifully executed, the material is sophisticated and is an amazing display for the girls. and it's really a very very strong group effort while still highlighting diana

It is hard to pick one. But I will say the harmonies of the Supremes / Andrew Sisters medley on the Sammy Davis, Jr. show is a favorite of mine.

I also enjoy the Sounds of the City medley that DMC did with Sammy on THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE.

Fats Waller medley
    Lady is a Tramp/Let's Get Away from it All [[from first DMC appearance on Hollywood Palace)
    Irving Berlin medley with special guest Ethel Merman
    More [[Ed Sullivan)

I'd like to include something from Jean's time with the group-those that come off top of my head are pleasant enough but not in same league, for me, as these. And after 1971 I don't think there are many non-single/album song performances they did on TV [[SMC Mercedes Benz [[yuck!) and MSS Walk Away with Udo [[Ledder?) [[meh) only ones I can think of).

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Fats Waller medley
    Lady is a Tramp/Let's Get Away from it All [[from first DMC appearance on Hollywood Palace)
    Irving Berlin medley with special guest Ethel Merman
    More [[Ed Sullivan)

I'd like to include something from Jean's time with the group-those that come off top of my head are pleasant enough but not in same league, for me, as these. And after 1971 I don't think there are many non-single/album song performances they did on TV [[SMC Mercedes Benz [[yuck!) and MSS Walk Away with Udo [[Ledder?) [[meh) only ones I can think of).
    i love the Brother Love medley from Tom Jones. those green fringe pantsuits were incredible. it's a cheesy medley and maybe not as "in tune" with what kids were listening to at the time. and frankly we've all mentioned many times how they girls' show should include more of their own songs. they sort of cram Loving Country and Together into this medley and perhaps just a medley of Loving Country and Together We Can Make would have bene better. but i still love it lol Jean really digs into the gospel aspect, and M and C have solo spots

The Fats Waller medley is a fav of mine. They sound incredible.

I also really love "Always". They sound great and look gorgeous.

I'm with Reese on the Supremes/Andrews Sisters medley. Their harmony was incredible. Definitely a favorite.

1. You're Nobody Til Somebody Loves You
    2. The Irving Berlin songs
    3. More
    4. We've Only Just Begun

More has always been a fav

thank you guys...what a treat, checking these out. I think with the Andrew Sisters, Florence really shone, and their harmonies were perfect...their voices really did work together. Would the show's musical producers create these harmonies or was Gil Askey and Motown behind these. I was wondering for the Fats Waller production as well. Someone had to know their strengths, or were they that professional at this point they could carry it off regardless of who was doing the arrangements.

My favorite was the 'Millie, Rose, & Mame' medley on the Ed Sullivan Show which was Florence's last performance on the show. Maybe it doesn't demonstrate their vocals as much as some of the other medley's; however, it is stunning and fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    My favorite was the 'Millie, Rose, & Mame' medley on the Ed Sullivan Show which was Florence's last performance on the show. Maybe it doesn't demonstrate their vocals as much as some of the other medley's; however, it is stunning and fun to watch.
    Never saw this before. Wow! The things Supreme I’ve missed.

i also think the performance You're Nobody on Hullabaloo was one of the HAPPIEST performances by the girls. all three look like they're truly having a blast and loving every minute

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Never saw this before. Wow! The things Supreme I’ve missed.
    Me neither! Gold star performance!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i also think the performance You're Nobody on Hullabaloo was one of the HAPPIEST performances by the girls. all three look like they're truly having a blast and loving every minute
    One of my very favorites. Everything they did on that show was flawless and foreshadowed why they would become iconic superstars and sought after by almost every variety show for the rest of the decade.

Fats Waller
    The impossible dream/you’re nobody ‘til somebody loves you- ed Sullivan May 1969
    Irving Berlin
    The lady is a tramp/let’s get away from it all Hollywood Palace 1969. [[I love those gowns, and Mary is absolutely stunning.)

I've always loved their performance of "Eight Days a Week" on Shindig! with each three of them singing a verse.