[REMOVE ADS]

Roy Brooks' "Beat" [1964 Workshop Jazz LP] to be Reissued

From Adam White's West Grand Blog-
    This may be a modest milestone, but it is one, nonetheless. Today, November 11, sees the first official reissue of a Workshop Jazz album in physical form since Motown introduced the label, a mere 60 years ago.

The late, great Detroit drummer Roy Brooks gets to be the hero of this particular moment, as his one and only Workshop Jazz LP, Beat, returns to market on vinyl via Universal Music’s Verve Records unit and the record-pressing arm of Jack White’s Third Man Records.

Beat is one of the first two albums reissued by Verve Records and corporate cousin Universal Music Enterprises under a resurrected “Verve By Request” banner. It’s available in the company of Ptah, The El Daoud, the 1970 outing by pianist Alice [McLeod] Coltrane, another Detroit jazz legend with a Motown connection. This catalogue project can call upon the abundance of relevant repertoire in the Universal Music vaults, and it has scheduled reissues into 2023, although nothing more from Workshop Jazz as yet.

Read full article here-
    Back to the Workshop — Adam White [adampwhite.com]

Is this really the first CD release of a workshop jazz album? I think I have this album on cd already as well as the Pepper Adams album originally released on workshop jazz. I don’t think the two albums I have are bootlegs. They seem to be legitimate releases. I think Hallmark may have released one or two, I’m thinking they may have reissued the Dave Hamilton LP, but those albums on that label are generally material that’s slipped into the public domain in the UK I believe.

Anyway just wondering. Of course it’s great to see the catalog mined for some unusual albums.
    Last edited by kenneth; 11-12-2022 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Is this really the first CD release of a workshop jazz album? I think I have this album on cd already as well as the Pepper Adams album originally released on workshop jazz. I don’t think the two albums I have are bootlegs. They seem to be legitimate releases. I think Hallmark may have released one or two, I’m thinking they may have reissued the Dave Hamilton LP, but those albums on that label are generally material that’s slipped into the public domain in the UK I believe.

Anyway just wondering. Of course it’s great to see the catalog mined for some unusual albums.
    I think this release is going to be vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think this release is going to be vinyl.
    Oh I see. But a CD is a physical format, so I think the blurb is incorrect. But like I said it’s great to see these coming out. I wish we could get more of the unreleased jazz from the label.

I took it to mean the first official vinyl re-issue of a Workshop Jazz album.

I know that the Earl Washington "Reflections" album has been available on audiophile vinyl and on Japanese mini LP CD for some time. So perhaps not "official"?

You are right in that the Pepper Adams album is on CD as I have it - it's from Spain.
    Please see here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57682065665883

The Earl Washington "All Star Jazz" album was released on CD by Hallmark [[so unofficial).

Some have been available on download - I have at least the Roy Brooks "Beat" album and the Paula Greer album on download.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 11-12-2022 at 03:17 PM.

Recently [[but belatedly) I've obtained the Fresh Sound Records CD releases of the Roy Brooks "Beat" album and also the George Bohannon Quartet "Boss: Bossa Nova" album. These are Spanish releases.

Roy Brooks "Beat" https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...77720310209220

George Bohanon Quartet "Boss: Bossa Nova" [[i've yet to scan all the pages)
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...77720310291272