[REMOVE ADS]

My World Is Empty, What Went Wrong?

"My World Is Empty Without You" became the girls' second single to not hit #1 since their run of number ones began. It managed to hit #5 on the Hot 100, but surprisingly stalled at 10 on the R&B chart. Even "Nothing But Heartaches" did better on the R&B chart than "My World". We've attempted to dissect the reasons why "Heartaches" ended the group's number one streak. What about "My World Is Empty Without You"?

The song has endured as one of the Supremes' most famous songs. It's been covered quite a few times. Both Mary and Diana have had it in their solo shows. It was in the group's live act almost constantly from the time of its release until the group officially disbanded. It is inarguably a well regarded classic. But why didn't it go all the way?

Was it the dark tone of the song? All the previous hits had an upbeat, bright, swing to them, regardless of whether the song was about being in love or heartbreak. "My World" was definitely a departure from the usual tone. Did it turn off DJs?

Cashbox matched Billboard with the song on it's pop chart, but the song did better on Cashbox's R&B chart- at #7- than Billboard's R&B chart, suggesting that more people were buying the single more than the radio was actually playing it. On the other hand, Record World scored the song at #4 Pop and #12 R&B.

For those who were around at the time, what were the fans thinking? Was it an immediate fan favorite, or were there a lot of fans turned off by this different sound?

Was it a case, similar to "Heartaches", where the peak week was full of strong singles, and thus the competition too stiff?

I love the song. I love Diana's lead, the Funks, HDH's lyrics. It is the first single where I feel Flo and Mary are less part of a group and are positioned as orchestration. But it's hard for me to criticize that because the buried sound of Flo and Mary plays up the haunting, heartbreak sound. The version on the Symphony EE where Flo and Mary are much more audible, the difference is stark, IMO. Flo and Mary take away from the feel being more audible, and I prefer the original tone. But was this a turn off for people, that the song doesn't really sound like a group record, which again goes to the song being a departure in their sound?

I think the song was good enough to hit #1, but I'm not exactly surprised that it didn't. So what do you all think? No doubt Gordy and Co thought this was going to be another topper. Why wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    "
    Was it a case, similar to "Heartaches", where the peak week was full of strong singles, and thus the competition too stiff?
    It is one of my favorites too. I *think* we covered this one and I was convinced by that conversation that this above is the best explanation. The remix on the EE that bumps Mary and Flo is my single favorite version.

The song certainly has a darker feel to it and I think that’s what hurt it. Not to say it’s a bad song but that intro really set the tone for what was to come and you know it wasn’t going to be something upbeat or something to dance to. Plus lyrically it look me a LONG time to remember the verses. Had this song been released when the girls weren’t white hot, I don’t think it would have cracked the top 20. I do wonder if “Everything Is Good About You” or “He’s All I Got” may have done better.

Nothing went wrong with it. It's a great record that's stood test of time. One of HDH's best productions. What songs were ahead of it when it peaked on the charts? The fact that it endured as a song the group performed, and Mary performed live, and Diana sometimes still performs, is just fine. Some songs go #1 and are completely forgotten in a year or two, others may not hit #1, but they endure. Long game is important as in the moment chart success.

Peaking at No. 5 is a major hit record, and any artist would kill for that. It's just that we were spoiled by 6 No. 1's. My World is just as popular as any of their No. 1 hits. Saleswise, a little over half a million. A success for sure

The mono mix is superior to the stereo mix with the emphasis on the beat, a combination of snare drum and guitar twink throughout the song.

If anything the production was "big" much like I Hear A Symphony. So many may have felt it was a copy. Much like Nothing But Heartaches was pure rhythm like Back In My Arms, with no instrumental break for either, many felt those two were also too similar.

But who knows. Not everything can be No. 1

Great song, great vocals.
    Haunting track.love it.
    The song was performed only once ,that I recall.while others were performed several times.
    Had this song got the same PR as Stop, Baby or Symphony.....
    I feel the same about Heartaches....
    The group was being pushed to perform standards more and more to the point by 1968, they were more adult contemporary,... until Love Child hit

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    The remix on the EE that bumps Mary and Flo is my single favorite version.
    Really? It was great to finally hear Flo and Mary but for me it took away some of the tone that makes the song great, IMO. Plus, have you ever noticed that it sounds like Flo is kind of dragging behind Mary a bit? Take a listen and tell me if you notice what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    The song certainly has a darker feel to it and I think that’s what hurt it. Not to say it’s a bad song but that intro really set the tone for what was to come and you know it wasn’t going to be something upbeat or something to dance to. Plus lyrically it look me a LONG time to remember the verses. Had this song been released when the girls weren’t white hot, I don’t think it would have cracked the top 20. I do wonder if “Everything Is Good About You” or “He’s All I Got” may have done better.
    I know the ladies dug "I Hear A Symphony" because to them it felt more sophisticated than the previous singles, which to me all sound very "girl group era". I get it, but to me "Symphony" still has that "young girl in love" sound, even if it was a more sophisticated sound than the songs that came before it.

On the other hand, "My World" seems to have brought the girls into a more adult sound. To my ears, "Itchin", "Hurry", "Hangin" and the following singles had the ladies in a much more mature phase that started with "My World". As much as I love "Everything Is Good About You", I don't know that would have ever bet on it as a single. I think with a tweak or two, "He's All I Got" was single material, but it would have taken the girls back into a less mature sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Nothing went wrong with it. It's a great record that's stood test of time. One of HDH's best productions. What songs were ahead of it when it peaked on the charts? The fact that it endured as a song the group performed, and Mary performed live, and Diana sometimes still performs, is just fine. Some songs go #1 and are completely forgotten in a year or two, others may not hit #1, but they endure. Long game is important as in the moment chart success.
    After "Nothing But Heartaches" failed to continue the streak of number ones, Gordy issued a proclamation that only number one hits would be released on the Supremes. "I Hear A Symphony" obviously lived up to Gordy's expectation. For the follow up to fail to do the same would mean something went wrong. No, every great song will not hit number, but I think there's usually a reason why songs get so close and stall out.

what's wrong with a classic from the Supreme and one of the best Diana Ross vocal from the period? that it wasn't n1 back then?

Really? It was great to finally hear Flo and Mary but for me it took away some of the tone that makes the song great, IMO. Plus, have you ever noticed that it sounds like Flo is kind of dragging behind Mary a bit? Take a listen and tell me if you notice what I mean.
    For me the official version is the best. Having the background vocals be faint and atmospheric really enhances the story and emotion of the song. The live versions of the song with MF/C audible and the big band instrumental touches turn the song into a razzle dazzle Vegas song. And the remix turning up the backgrounds also distracts from the song. HDH knew what they were doing when they crafted My World is Empty Without You.

I'm with you all who said there is nothing wrong with My World Is Empty. And I also agree that after a bunch of #1's, #5 seems like a let down but that's only when viewed in the context of all those #1's--but that's not really the case here. It was a huge hit and very recognizable as a Supremes hit.

Really?
    Yes.
    The mono version has too much reverb. The cymbals/snares in the intro sound almost completely behind the beat [[on the 50th Anniversary singles collection). The mono mix on the EE has so much of the top end cut off, it sounds like I'm listening to it through a headwarmer over my ears. The stereo separation helps on the EE, but the 2012 Mix [[the one with Mary and Flo bumped up) is the clearest and best mix, IMHO. You are correct and Flo does lag slightly behind Mary, but that layering of voices is probably what makes this my favorite version. I always have to cut the bass on the stereo version, regardless of if I'm playing the original LP or the EE CD. I think the bass overwhelms everything else on the stereo version. They got the balance perfect in the 2012 Mix, IMHO. But that's why I love the EE's so much... something for every ear.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    For me the official version is the best. Having the background vocals be faint and atmospheric really enhances the story and emotion of the song. The live versions of the song with MF/C audible and the big band instrumental touches turn the song into a razzle dazzle Vegas song. And the remix turning up the backgrounds also distracts from the song. HDH knew what they were doing when they crafted My World is Empty Without You.
    i agree - while i appreciate hearing M and F more and having the song be more of a trio, the whispery effect of the backing vocals really adds to the haunting quality of the song.

and the live version just sapped any life out of the song and turned it into a Broadway finale song lol

here's another oddity with the song - it failed to chart in the UK

i think the darker more somber tone is great and wonderful evolution for the girls. it also builds on the symphonic sound from Symphony

Symphony might carry on with the girls' previous prim and girly tunes. but the orchestral background, the multi key changes and the overall style really shows off the maturation of their sound and themselves.

I think the overall Symphony lp does a great job of mixing the MOR and new. the new tunes play off the symphonic feel of the title track and lushness of the MOR songs included. but they still add in the motown beat

you also have to look at the competition out there. when WDOLG broke through, that really launched the Motown Sound into the public. but that was nearly a year and half prior to My World. the public is fickle and they're easily distracted. plus you have lots of american and british artists pushing to break through too.

When MWIEWY peaked for 2 weeks, the others in the Top 5 were:

Lightning' Strikes
    These Boots Are Made For Walking
    Uptight
    My Love [[which had been #1 the week before)
    My World Is Empty

the next week Boots moved up and then The Ballad of the Green Berets entered the top 5 and the list was

Boots
    Lighting
    Green Berets
    Uptight
    My World

the following week Green Berets jumped to #1 and sat there for 5 weeks

I think had Boots not been right there, My World might have jumped to #1 for 1 week. but Boots was just too big of a hit and sensation. and then Green Berets wiped them both out of the top

Yes.
    The mono version has too much reverb. The cymbals/snares in the intro sound almost completely behind the beat [[on the 50th Anniversary singles collection). The mono mix on the EE has so much of the top end cut off, it sounds like I'm listening to it through a headwarmer over my ears. The stereo separation helps on the EE, but the 2012 Mix [[the one with Mary and Flo bumped up) is the clearest and best mix, IMHO. You are correct and Flo does lag slightly behind Mary, but that layering of voices is probably what makes this my favorite version. I always have to cut the bass on the stereo version, regardless of if I'm playing the original LP or the EE CD. I think the bass overwhelms everything else on the stereo version. They got the balance perfect in the 2012 Mix, IMHO. But that's why I love the EE's so much... something for every ear.
    Cut the bass?! That might be my favorite part!

Glad you could hear Flo lagging behind. I'm always annoyed when people don't hear what I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    you also have to look at the competition out there. when WDOLG broke through, that really launched the Motown Sound into the public. but that was nearly a year and half prior to My World. the public is fickle and they're easily distracted. plus you have lots of american and british artists pushing to break through too.

When MWIEWY peaked for 2 weeks, the others in the Top 5 were:

Lightning' Strikes
    These Boots Are Made For Walking
    Uptight
    My Love [[which had been #1 the week before)
    My World Is Empty

the next week Boots moved up and then The Ballad of the Green Berets entered the top 5 and the list was

Boots
    Lighting
    Green Berets
    Uptight
    My World

the following week Green Berets jumped to #1 and sat there for 5 weeks

I think had Boots not been right there, My World might have jumped to #1 for 1 week. but Boots was just too big of a hit and sensation. and then Green Berets wiped them both out of the top
    That all speaks to my question about what was going on during the peak. Sounds like stiff competition.

Always late to threads, but have to say I agree with a lot of posts:

My World is one of my favorite Supremes [[Top 5) and Motown [[Top 10) records.
    It was a different and daring departure for the group and HDH. [[IHAS was a step toward maturity but still a “baby, baby” girl group song.)
    Diana’s vocal was perfect. [[I heard her once say it was one of the easiest for her to sing from the beginning.)
    The mono/single version perfectly conveyed the starkness of the emotional lyrics and atmospheric production. [[It was my first listen to an essentially solo Diana Ross performance and I was wonderfully surprised. At around the same time, I likewise loved the essentially solo mono versions of Stranger In Paradise, With A Song In My Heart and White Christmas).
    My World could have been another #1 if not for the competition, especially Boots and Berets.

I feel "My World" was somewhat ahead of its time and was too abrupt of a switch from what the Supremes had been doing. Although it's a dark song, it has one of those top notch vocal interpretations by Diana. H-D-H, as I see it, were beginning to enter their creative and innovative period, getting away from the almost cookie cutter output they were producing for the Supremes and the Four Tops.

I've always felt that this was a Diana Ross song and that the background vocals were added just to make it a Supreme song. The oooing background vocals on the verses are rather distracting and all over the place, especially on the live performances.

In hindsight, I believe the Supremes and the producers did all they could to make this an even bigger hit than it already was. It just fell on the charts when it did.

I think the big question is Love Is An Itching , which fell off the charts after only 6 weeks, if memory serves me right.
    One of my favorite singles of theirs.
    It failed in UK but later became a huge dance hit in the mid 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I think the big question is Love Is An Itching , which fell off the charts after only 6 weeks, if memory serves me right.
    One of my favorite singles of theirs.
    It failed in UK but later became a huge dance hit in the mid 70s.
    Grrr… it is my favorite Supremes song, bar none. No idea since the competition that week wasn’t the same as NBH or MWIEWYB. Maybe LILAIIMH was too far ahead of its time?

The song is a classic ,under rated song

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Always late to threads, but have to say I agree with a lot of posts:

My World is one of my favorite Supremes [[Top 5) and Motown [[Top 10) records.
    It was a different and daring departure for the group and HDH. [[IHAS was a step toward maturity but still a “baby, baby” girl group song.)
    Diana’s vocal was perfect. [[I heard her once say it was one of the easiest for her to sing from the beginning.)
    The mono/single version perfectly conveyed the starkness of the emotional lyrics and atmospheric production. [[It was my first listen to an essentially solo Diana Ross performance and I was wonderfully surprised. At around the same time, I likewise loved the essentially solo mono versions of Stranger In Paradise, With A Song In My Heart and White Christmas).
    My World could have been another #1 if not for the competition, especially Boots and Berets.
    Better late than never Lucky.

I agree on "With a Song In My Heart". Diana's vocal is beautiful, proving once again that she was more than a cooing ooing girl group singer. I also agree with you on "White Christmas", sort of. I like the stereo and mono version as much as the other. Diana sounds great on both, and the addition of the Supremes and Andantes on it gives it a little extra warmth, but the absence of them doesn't really affect the final product because of what Diana was able to do.

On the other hand, I am firmly of the opposite opinion to yours on "Stranger In Paradise". Flo and Mary's harmonies are the "it" factor that makes the song really come together. "Without" them, "Stranger In Paradise" is certainly fine, but I can never listen to it because it lacks that certain something that Flo and Mary bring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I feel "My World" was somewhat ahead of its time and was too abrupt of a switch from what the Supremes had been doing. Although it's a dark song, it has one of those top notch vocal interpretations by Diana. H-D-H, as I see it, were beginning to enter their creative and innovative period, getting away from the almost cookie cutter output they were producing for the Supremes and the Four Tops.
    Yes, I hadn't quite thought of it this way. I could definitely see "My World" being the point where HDH were deciding to take some real creative chances, moving away from a lot of the bouncy, soulful pop tunes and into some more serious territory, not just in regards to the Supremes, but to the others they were working with a lot, like the Tops and Martha and Vandellas.

Grrr… it is my favorite Supremes song, bar none. No idea since the competition that week wasn’t the same as NBH or MWIEWYB. Maybe LILAIIMH was too far ahead of its time?
    This would have been a good one for it's own thread, but since y'all brought it up...

While "Itchin" may not have suffered from some of the competitive obstacles that kept "My World" from doing even better, I think it might have had a similar reaction from people that it wasn't what they were used to from the Supremes. "Itch" really is a seriously funky number. Now interestingly enough, this wasn't the first time the Supremes rocked it out. I'd opine that "Back In My Arms Again" kicked as much ass as "Itchin". I think the difference might be the vocal approach. While "Back"'s track tore it up and Flo and Mary were pulling no punches, Diana's vocal approach is more "Come See About Me", kind of laid back, if that makes any sense. Her vocal makes "Back" feel familiar and similar to the four number ones that preceded it, even though the backing track and backing vocals are very different from the ones before it. On the other hand, with "Itchin", Diana is matching the tone of the track intensely. She hadn't sung that way since before "Where Did Our Love Go". The public didn't know this Diana Ross. Much like "My World", I think the change was jarring. I also think Flo and Mary could have done more. As is, their vocals on the song are now iconic, but to me, where Diana rises to the Funk Brothers challenge, Flo and Mary sound like they're pulling back a bit. I think it's possible, slightly possible, that the overall sound could have been even better if Flo and Mary were letting loose too.

Then there's the issue of the song being about eight months old when it was finally released. Perhaps if it had been released after "Heartaches" and before "Symphony" it might have done better because it sounded innovative within the frame work of that current Motown Sound. By the time it was actually released, the Motown Sound had stepped it's game up once again, and honestly I think "Itchin" might have had some of the wind sucked out of it in comparison to the way the Motown Sound was again currently progressing. And for the record, that's not me suggesting that anyone in 1966 heard "Itchin" and thought "Hey, they must have recorded this song last year!". I'm just saying Motown was always so quickly evolving with all of the creative folks at Hitsville that it was usually best to jump on a hit sound quick because a couple months later, the sound could feel a bit dated because the new sound is kicking butt.

I do think "My World" and "Itchin" both paved the way for "Hurry" and "Hangin". The gang was able to take all the greatness of "Itchin"- the bangin track, the soulful lead, the roles of Mary and Florence- and parlay that into an equally soulful tune, with a touch of pop, that resonated with the public. The Supremes were able to continue growing up and having hits at the same time. A lot of young acts don't get the benefit of growing up and staying successful. Once the initial bubblegum phase is over, people tend to move on, usually because the act tries to milk the bubblegum for all it's worth and everyone else has grown up.

Might it possibly have been the lyrics that prevented “Itching” from doing as well as it undoubtably should have. It’s less a case of popular themes as yearning and unrequited love, being more a physical condition. Just a thought.

All interesting points here, but I have a different take on it. I was around when the song was released by my favorite group and was disappointed that the song seemed more like a solo than a group effort. That disappointment did not stop me from playing the song continuously in jukeboxes while stationed overseas. At time, the lyrics were secondary to me and I did not pay as much attention to them as I should have. I listened to the lyrics more carefully a few years later when Margie Joseph did a version of it.

But after reading your valid points above about the lyrics, I wonder if the song would have worked if, instead of Flo and Mary being pushed way back, they were brought up to sing along with Diana in harmony. Diana could have still had a solo part in the middle. They had perfect harmony, which may have worked here.

When the four members of Mamas and Papas - John Phillips, Michelle Phillips, Denny Doherty and Cass Elliot—layered their voices just right, they created, as music reviewers nicknamed it, “the fifth voice”: a pleasing sound that couldn’t have been created by only one person. The group even gave that fifth voice a name. It's name was Harvey.

Is it possible that My World could have worked with the group singing in perfect harmony as one voice?

Cool

Better late than never Lucky.

I agree on "With a Song In My Heart". Diana's vocal is beautiful, proving once again that she was more than a cooing ooing girl group singer. I also agree with you on "White Christmas", sort of. I like the stereo and mono version as much as the other. Diana sounds great on both, and the addition of the Supremes and Andantes on it gives it a little extra warmth, but the absence of them doesn't really affect the final product because of what Diana was able to do.

On the other hand, I am firmly of the opposite opinion to yours on "Stranger In Paradise". Flo and Mary's harmonies are the "it" factor that makes the song really come together. "Without" them, "Stranger In Paradise" is certainly fine, but I can never listen to it because it lacks that certain something that Flo and Mary bring to it.
    Thanks, RanRan. Stranger was the first cut I heard from the [mono] album, and it impressed me immediately. I didn’t know the song before [or With A Song In My Heart and Without A Song]. Diana’s voice was so crystal clear and appealing, it didn’t occur to me that it was essentially a solo performance until later. When I heard the stereo version years later, I felt the background vocals detracted from the otherwise ethereal sound.
    Same with White Christmas, though I also liked the stereo version. I remember my parents especially loving Diana’s voice on Merry Christmas. They also liked the “Supremes” backing harmonies on that album. I haven’t told them about the Andantes
    I much prefer With A Song In My Heart from IHAS to the RH version.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 11-20-2022 at 02:40 PM.

I do think "My World" and "Itchin" both paved the way for "Hurry" and "Hangin". The gang was able to take all the greatness of "Itchin"- the bangin track, the soulful lead, the roles of Mary and Florence- and parlay that into an equally soulful tune, with a touch of pop, that resonated with the public. The Supremes were able to continue growing up and having hits at the same time. A lot of young acts don't get the benefit of growing up and staying successful. Once the initial bubblegum phase is over, people tend to move on, usually because the act tries to milk the bubblegum for all it's worth and everyone else has grown up.
    The Supremes four 1966 singles were stunning, their best year, imo. 1966 was a stellar year in Pop/Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Might it possibly have been the lyrics that prevented “Itching” from doing as well as it undoubtably should have. It’s less a case of popular themes as yearning and unrequited love, being more a physical condition. Just a thought.
    Lol. In my circle, the itching was the best part about the record. Though I was 12 and didn’t relate to the itching until maybe a year later!