[REMOVE ADS]

Marton/Kay=O Record Labels Releasing N.Y. Jobete Music Office-Produced Songs

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  21.1 KB
    I am interested in New York's Marton Records and its apparent sister label, Kay=O Records, because every song on their only 3 records I've seen, have been published by Jobete Music Co. I have done some research, and found out that the owner of New York's Marton Records was named Martin [[I have forgotten his first name) but had it at one time. Also, he was the owner of Apex Music Publishing Co. and Martin Music , and Apex productions. On both the Marton records, and on the Kay=O record, Jobete Music shared publishing rights with Martin's Apex Music, and on the Kay=O record, Jobete shared with both Apex and Martin Music. So, it is very clear that both labels were at least Co-owned, if not solely owned by Martin.

It's also clear that The Tamala Lewis record's sides were produced by George Clinton and his Parlor Productions [[through Jobete Music). The Roy Handy on Marton was also produced by Clinton, and his Parla Productions through Jobete Music's office. The Bobby Moore record lists D.W. productions, who produced Bobby's D.W. Records as lead singer of The Fourmost/s. This was New York Bobby Moore [[former Little Bobby Moore [["Do The Ginger Snap" on King Records), as well as "Pinky" on Seg-Way Records, and "It Was a Lie" with The Fourmost on D.W./Red Bird, rather than Atlanta's Bobby Moore [[who sang with The Rhythm Aces) for Chess' subsidiary, Checker Records.

That is all I know about these 2 labels, and I'd like to know more about them including Martin's first name, his place in the business, and whether or not he was just a financier, or had more to do with the day-to-day operations, what recording studio, arranger, and musicians they used, and if they had any connection to D.W. Records [[other than recording Bobby Moore), and whether or not a Jobete Music producer produced the recording used for Jobete's proof of ownership recording and Martin just used that, or D.W.'s Production crew recorded the final mix version.
    Can anyone here add more information?
    Last edited by robb_k; 11-10-2022 at 02:39 PM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  21.1 KB
    I learned from our own Motown Forum, that Joe Martin [[Mar)[[Later of Relic Records) and George Clinton[[Ton) were the co-owners of Marton Records, and that Clinton was not involved in Kay=O Records. So, Kay=O was either solely owned by Martin, or co-owned by him and the owner of New York's D.W. Records, which issued Bobby Moore and The Fourmost[[s) records. So, I would also like to find out more about that mid '60s N.Y. label.