[REMOVE ADS]

Martha and who on Black Magic?

Does anyone know who is doing the backgrounds on the songs for the Black Magic album? Some songs I know Martha is doing with the Andantes. I remember Martha telling me she is in the background for "In And Out Of My Life" with a couple of other studio singers but can't remember who the other two girls were.

Some songs like "Bless You" and "I Want You Back" are clearly the Andantes.

What about "No One There"? It sounds like Martha with a bunch of other voices on that one.

Where is Martha? I haven't seen anything posted on her in the past couple of months. Has she been performing recently?

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Where is Martha? I haven't seen anything posted on her in the past couple of months. Has she been performing recently?
    She posts a lot on Facebook but I haven't seen any appearances. I think she is supposed to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame this year but I've seen no details.

Re backup vocals, I think the Blackberries might have done some of the backup vocals on BLACK MAGIC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Magic_[[Martha_Reeves_and_the_Vandellas_album)

Personnel
    Martha Reeves - lead vocals
    The Andantes - background vocals
    Lois Reeves - background vocals
    Sandra Tilley - background vocals
    Valerie Simpson - background vocals
    Nickolas Ashford - background vocals
    The Blackberries - background vocals
    The Funk Brothers - instrumentation
    Various LA musicians - instrumentation

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    She posts a lot on Facebook but I haven't seen any appearances. I think she is supposed to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame this year but I've seen no details.

Re backup vocals, I think the Blackberries might have done some of the backup vocals on BLACK MAGIC.
    Great, thanks for the reply.
    Were the Blackberries just used in LA for background vocals? Did they ever do background work in Detroit?

Great, thanks for the reply.
    Were the Blackberries just used in LA for background vocals? Did they ever do background work in Detroit?
    I think they were used on LA sessions. I would think if they came to Detroit it might not sit too well with the Andantes.

Dr Martha Reeves was supposed to get a star on Hollywoods walk of Fame last year but it loos like it didnt happen. There are no dates on her website but she could be very busy on the movie about her life which shes writing. Dr Reeves is 81 and may find writing less tiring than being on the road and traveling which has to get harder the older you get.

http://www.missmarthareeves.com/id4.html

https://www.marthareevesofficial.com/myhollywoodstar

Last edited by Roberta75; 02-27-2023 at 08:20 PM.

It isn’t the andantes in bless you or I want you back. Lois and Sandra with the Blackberries are on these.
    Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Does anyone know who is doing the backgrounds on the songs for the Black Magic album? Some songs I know Martha is doing with the Andantes. I remember Martha telling me she is in the background for "In And Out Of My Life" with a couple of other studio singers but can't remember who the other two girls were.

Some songs like "Bless You" and "I Want You Back" are clearly the Andantes.

What about "No One There"? It sounds like Martha with a bunch of other voices on that one.

To answer the question about what Martha is doing, I am not sure when this was recorded but this past weekend there was a featured interview with her on Sirius XM radio in which the DJ asked her questions about her time at Motown and they played songs [[hers and other Motown hits) in between the questions. Since I only listen to Sirius in the car, I never got to hear the interview from start to finish, but I did hear bits and pieces of it twice since it was broadcast more than once.