[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Welcome Tommy.
    It's wonderful to have a Motown artist that fans can reach out to.
    I love your CD as it gave us the chance to officially hear these tracjs that Motown passed on.
    I had " Baby I miss you" on a 45 many years ago...a treasured import for us UK collectors.
    I too am intetested in Staunton and Walker, such a shame that they didn't stay at Motown for a longer period, as they produced some great tracks.
    My favourite of yours though is "Gotta get away".
    I couldn't believe it upon hearing it on a.bootleg tape years ago...stunning ...Smokey really got it right on that tune. What a shame he didn't produce more on you.
    Great to see you on here.
    Happy New Year.

Hi Tommy and welcome to the Forum - you have a lot of fans here including from the UK as you will know. I wondered how you came to work with Smokey Robinson and what that was like. Why, oh why, was "I've Gotta Get Away" not released at the time - were you ever given any indication? Did Smokey select you for that track or write it especially for you? What did you do after your time at Motown expired?

The original march

Hi waiting,watching etc. on the day of the march [[ original march )I was peeking out the window and getting nervous. As it got closer to my being called out to sing I got calmer and thought I’m going to sing this song as good as I possibly can. On that day I thought I did a good job.

Comparing the re-enactment march to the original there was almost no nervousness, I had a ball, it was much more than I expected. Phil did a great job throwing the march together, I am very grateful to everyone who took part.

Berry came to the Duchess lounge on 7 mile and vandyke to see and hear me, he asked me if I would like to sign a contract to Motown, I of course said yes. He came back several times once with Dianne Ross. He had written Bad Bad Baby. I had also met him at his apartment to work on bad bad baby. it’s a blue’s tune. a white guy singing the blue’s at Motownbut we did it, I still like hearing it to this day. it was the first song I. Worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy good View Post
    Hi waiting,watching etc. on the day of the march [[ original march )I was peeking out the window and getting nervous. As it got closer to my being called out to sing I got calmer and thought I’m going to sing this song as good as I possibly can. On that day I thought I did a good job.

Comparing the re-enactment march to the original there was almost no nervousness, I had a ball, it was much more than I expected. Phil did a great job throwing the march together, I am very grateful to everyone who took part.
    I love hearing about that! Kinda makes it feel like being there! It seems like things were a lot more about the fun of the business back then. The protest was one of the most unique things I've read Motown's marketing strategy. The even greater thing is that even though it was one moment back then, apparently it carried some weight because all these years later you can still read about it online. People like me who weren't yet born ate still discovering it. Really nice to hear you had a great time and that Phil has the great idea to do it!
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 12-28-2022 at 04:54 PM.

Berry came to the Duchess lounge on 7 mile and vandyke to see and hear me, he asked me if I would like to sign a contract to Motown, I of course said yes. He came back several times once with Dianne Ross. He had written Bad Bad Baby. I had also met him at his apartment to work on bad bad baby. it’s a blue’s tune. a white guy singing the blue’s at Motownbut we did it, I still like hearing it to this day. it was the first song I. Worked on.
    I think it says a lot that Berry personally wrote the song for you. Reading what you said about your being white and singing a blues song reminded me of the song he did with Chris Clark, "Do Right Baby, Do Right, " because that was a blues tune as well. I think he got really excited when he found singers like you and Chris who could really sing those songs well. A bit like Elvis- the guy had a voice that carry the blues well- more so than Pat Boone [[whom I actually like.) I can definitely hear why Berry was excited about signing you to Motown.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 12-28-2022 at 04:55 PM.

Hi Tommy, amazing to have you here!!! I'm another fan from the UK [and another Tom! ]. My question would be… what’s your favourite recording from your time at Motown?

Just heard from Tom. He was having a small glitch. Stay tuned.

Well gang, Tommy seems to have disappeared. I'm not sure what happened. I have tried to reach out but no luck. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Well gang, Tommy seems to have disappeared. I'm not sure what happened. I have tried to reach out but no luck. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Well, it was nice while it lasted. Definitely appreciate that you made it possible to talk to him!

Snakepit, Paul, I think that someone not sure of who, could have erased the vocal and then recorded his voice. My guess is Ivy.

Tom, good to see you.

Ralph, Again ,I apologize for not getting this, I can read my posts but they are at the bottom of the thread.I have answered at least 6 requests so far.

Snakepit, Paul, I think that someone not sure of who, could have erased the vocal and then recorded his voice. My guess is Ivy.
    Or perhaps your vocal of the song is on tape somewhere in the Motown vault, waiting to be discovered.

Yeah, that is the way it works.

You could hit "reply with quote" and that will show the members question in the box before you respond underneath it.

Stay tuned, we may have gotten the bugs out. Tommy should be here soon.

Ralph, thanks for helping me out.

Glad to help Tom. Welcome back.

Good to talk to you also.)

If anyone can find my version of [[ just ask the lonely ) my bet is on my good friend Paul Nixon.

Hi Mr. Good. I've seen videos of you at live performances- did you ever more or less stop singing or have you always been out there at various shows? By the way, I'm currently hooked on "She's A Living Doll" and "My Love For You". Yow! Those are great!

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Hi Mr. Good. I've seen videos of you at live performances- did you ever more or less stop singing or have you always been out there at various shows? By the way, I'm currently hooked on "She's A Living Doll" and "My Love For You". Yow! Those are great!
    Hi waiting, watching, your support feels great. Thank you. My participation started with the weekender 2 in Northampton. It was an amazing event. Singing with Bobby Tailor and Chris Clark and Pat Lewis and many others made .me want to be a part of these shows. The weekender 2 was 10, 11 years ago. I’m going to be 86 years old this coming January 14th. Not ready to stop yet.

Don't ever stop, Tom.

Just amazing

Hi waiting, watching, your support feels great. Thank you. My participation started with the weekender 2 in Northampton. It was an amazing event. Singing with Bobby Tailor and Chris Clark and Pat Lewis and many others made .me want to be a part of these shows. The weekender 2 was 10, 11 years ago. I’m going to be 86 years old this coming January 14th. Not ready to stop yet.
    86! That's awesome! The great thing is that nowadays you really don't have to stop. I was telling a friend yesterday about how people age much, MUCH differently now than before. It used to be that people would say, well I'm such-and-such age now so I can't do this anymore but I think nowadays people are saying that's ridiculous! If you enjoy doing something, DO it. When I was in my 20s, I met a man once on my job and in the course of conversation he told me he was 85 and still scuba diving. I thought that was so cool because it was telling me age doesn't have to make me give up having fun! I still remember that guy's words. Your voice is as good as back then so it's excellent you're having fun and sharing that fun with the fans!
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 01-04-2023 at 03:55 PM.

Tommy it would thrill me to the stars and back to find your version...20 years we have been searching ..the shame is that so far there is no TG vocal to be found. Where it should be is that version they released as you on Motown Treasures which we know to be Ivy No who sings it there in a Tommy Good fashion possibly as a guide for you, paperwork though shows you did a lead but it's not on that tape where it should be. Funnily enough I was in New York at Christmas still talking about your version. We haven't given up all hope but the chances are getting smaller by the year. If it's there we'll find it...so Tommy do you remember doing a lead?

Has anyone ever heard an acetate or a cassette of a Tommy vocal on "Ask The Lonely"?

Apparently not.

Perhaps I should ask the lonely?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Perhaps I should ask the lonely?
    Maybe pose the question in a new thread. Darren and some of the other collectors may not be aware of this topic and a fresh new thread header might draw more attention.

Tommy
    I've included " I've got to get away" on my radio show this Wednesday.
    I'll post a link here for you.

Not sure where Tommy went..........

Had to get away...??

I will try and contact him.

Paul Nixon, I’ll never forget the many ways you explained and helped me through the Motown collection CD. You are a true friend and if you ever needed my help, just let me know.
    Tommy Good

Hi watching, waiting, etc. all the while I was with motown, I was working the clubs in Detroit 6 and 7 days a week, singing at night and singing at Motown, and right by my side we’re the Tabs. I would use the Tabs every chance I could. They were with me during the Motown review bringing in1964. And even did a few songs on my CD.

How fortunate was I to get to work with Drew Shultz and his band. Always the best backing. I thank you Drew for the wonderful compliment. I promise I will do my best to live up to your words. Thank you.

Hi watching, waiting, etc. all the while I was with motown, I was working the clubs in Detroit 6 and 7 days a week, singing at night and singing at Motown, and right by my side we’re the Tabs. I would use the Tabs every chance I could. They were with me during the Motown review bringing in1964. And even did a few songs on my CD.
    That's great that you all continued to play live dates as a band. I did get a chance to hear the band tracks on the CD- you all had a really great sound! Motown seemed to be seriously trying to diversify the music they were selling- signing you and your band, The Tabs, then later, Rock groups like The Underdogs and The Messengers. They could have had some solid Rock sales with your band and the others, but I have to say, I really love the material recorded on you as a solo artist!

Tom, who was in The Tabs during this time?

In case anyone missed this thread, today, January 14, 2023 is Tommy's 86th birthday. Happy Birthday and best wishes to Tommy on achieving this milestone. Have a great day.

I nearly missed it. Happy Birthday, Tom.

Happy Birthday Tommy - have a great day.

Just a wild thought - as regards "Ask The Lonely" - there is at least one video of Tommy singing it live on YouTube, but whilst he sings great, the backing could be better.

I know that on the Motown original karaoke series, there is the official backing track to the song. So, maybe Tommy could record his vocal to this backing track and, voila at least one version for fans to enjoy in the absence of an original. Even better if it could be recorded with a good band of course.

I've done it myself with the proper backing track and it's ok but sadly I'm no Tommy Good, Levi Stubbs or Ivy.

I keep checking to see if Mr. Good will return, but all the same, it was really nice to have him stop by here!

I'm not sure what is going on. I hope all is well with him.

I'm not sure what is going on. I hope all is well with him.
    Same here.

I really didn't want to do it, but I sent Tommy an email asking if all was well. If for some reason he no longer wants to participate, I'm hoping I'm not over-stepping bounds.

I really didn't want to do it, but I sent Tommy an email asking if all was well. If for some reason he no longer wants to participate, I'm hoping I'm not over-stepping bounds.
    Well, you made it happen and we did get to talk to him so that is a huge positive for a Motown fan. And if nothing else, he now knows that he's got fans on the forum. That's not overstepping boundaries by any means. I'd say you gave him a nice look at the people who enjoy his music. Mr. Good may just be a private person. Like the song says, "Don't Think Twice It's Alright" [[you know how I mean that!)

Thank you for that, Waiting.