[REMOVE ADS]

Miss Motown - Rarity

Interesting bit of Motown trivia, thanks for posting.

I really enjoyed that video, Snakepit. My only disappointment was that poor Kim [[Weston) barely had a chance to say boo. She was the one I wanted to hear from most.

The Miss Motown article on Soul Source finally resolves both Miss Motown and Jack Gibsons involvement with Berry in working with Motown from 1961 to 1966. Little information concerning Jack Gibson & Motown has never been detailed.

The personal gift from Jack Gibson to Raynoma in 1964 has three record tracks [[Jingles) It's likely that Jack used the jingles on his radio shows along with many others, some recorded from Miss Ray. Concerning the Miss Motown record the three tracks were structured Jingles and compiled just for Miss Motown.

It is not just about jingles its a key piece of Motown History as to the input from Raynoma and Jack Gibson. Jack Gibson the disc jockey "Jack The Rapper" was known nationwide, he went to work with Berry from 1961 until 1966. Jacks birthday was the same day as Mary Wells & Stevie Wonder, all three had huge birthday parties to celebrate the birthdays every year. Jack also went regularly to all disc Jockeys and major cities taking with him Motown artists. [[There's a long list :Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, Mary Wells, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder and others.)

All three of the tracks are detailed for the first time.
    There's a story in the record!
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 11-04-2022 at 06:14 AM.

Great find, Graham! The 45 looks like a Monarch pressing. If it is, could you share the delta numbers? It'd be great to use those to approximate the pressing date. I'm curious if it was pressed shortly before or around the time Miss Ray/Motown bootlegged the Mary Wells 45 in 1964 - that could be another explanation of why it's so rare.

Nick
    Thanks for the request:
    The Delta numbers: MM-1 [[Tri-angle) 52747 both sides. The record has the date on the label at 1964 if this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    Nick
    Thanks for the request:
    The Delta numbers: MM-1 [[Tri-angle) 52747 both sides. The record has the date on the label at 1964 if this helps?
    That delta number puts the pressing date around May of 1964 according to this chart: https://www.45rpmrecords.com/date_monarch.php

There's a couple month gap there with the release date of "My Guy" and the pressing of the Miss Motown 45, but I imagine she probably bootlegged the Mary Wells in April or May - I'm not sure if I've ever read an exact date as to when that occurred. But I'd bet that timeline is a key factor in why the Miss Motown 45 is so rare. Very cool!
    Last edited by nsoule; 11-04-2022 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nsoule View Post
    That delta number puts the pressing date around May of 1964 according to this chart: https://www.45rpmrecords.com/date_monarch.php

There's a couple month gap there with the release date of "My Guy" and the pressing of the Miss Motown 45, but I imagine she probably bootlegged the Mary Wells in April or May - I'm not sure if I've ever read an exact date as to when that occurred. But I'd bet that timeline is a key factor in why the Miss Motown 45 is so rare. Very cool!
    We had a discussion about that here, and I seem to remember that it was around the last half of May or early June that the bootleg pressings of "My Guy" occurred, and Jobete's NY Office was shut down in July.