[REMOVE ADS]

I NEVER heard about this one...

I collect old radio jingles and like to do videos featuring them. I like to do a bit of research into the radio station featured for a video and that has taken me to discovering old radio surveys. It's mind-blowing, to say the least, the amount of music that has been pumped out over the airwaves over the years. It's also eye-opening to see that the music charts and radio playlists were a LOT broader and all-inclusive than I think people realize. Nostalgia is a funny thing. We have TONS of those silly "GREATEST HITS OF THE SIXTIES" packages that recycle a lot of the same 23 and a half hits over and over. However, if you were to check some of these radio surveys, you'll find a lot of soul, local bands, easy-listening and even country records that will never make it on these collections.

Tonight, I was checking out radio station WFIL out of Philadelphia USA. The survey is from 1967 I believe, and I was pleasantly surprised to find the Temptations' "You're My Everything" was at number one for the week featured. It was above "Ode To Billie Joe," "Reflections," and even the Beatles' "Love Is All You Need." Granted, of course, this may have been as some of those songs were going up or back down the charts, but still, it was very nice to see that! Other surprises, Al Kent, "Gotta Pay The Price" was on the list, Martha & The Vandellas' "Love Bug Leave My Heart Alone." There was a lot more soul music there than I expected as well.

The biggest surprise was this cover of the Miracles' "What's So Good About Good-Bye" by a band called The Giant Sunflower. They sound like a knock-off of The Mamas and Papas and their cover is not bad at all. Really interesting to see how much Motown was really being noticed by everyone, even in the Rock arena. Not much info at all on the band except that they were out of LA and were active only from 1966 to 1968. Seems they only had two singles, including this one. Makes me wonder how did an LA rock/folk band decide to do an old Smokey Robinson number- shows somebody had good taste.

https://youtu.be/cHWhojk8-Z4

http://<iframe width="640" height="3...lt;/iframe>

I think you were spot on with your Mamas/Papas comparison. It's not the worse Motown cover I've listened to before.. I love listening to Motown covers and song choice is always interesting. The internet really opened up listening opportunities to endless choices and discoveries.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I think you were spot on with your Mamas/Papas comparison. It's not the worse Motown cover I've listened to before.. I love listening to Motown covers and song choice is always interesting. The internet really opened up listening opportunities to endless choices and discoveries.
    Definitely. Just a few relatively short years ago, there's no way I would have been able to instantly hear things like this. So easy to take the internet for granted but it really is like a miracle for all sorts of things.

Great find. Lovely version.

Producer Lou Adler also produced The Mamas and Papas. This piece is from Margo Phillips [[in all honesty about something I don't understand) but includes a promo photo on another of their songs "February Sunshine".

https://les319.wordpress.com/2020/06...orever-sensei/
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 10-28-2022 at 06:49 AM.

I grew up in that era and I really liked that interpretation of Smokey's song.

And this opens up a new can of worms for comparison and discussion. This interpretation by David Stewart & Barbara Gaskins of the Four Tops' "I'm In a Different World" is very ethereal.

you know the Mamas & the Papas had a major hit with the old Shirelles hit "Dedicated to the One I Love"

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Great find. Lovely version.

Producer Lou Adler also produced The Mamas and Papas. This piece is from Margo Phillips [[in all honesty about something I don't understand) but includes a promo photo on another of their songs "February Sunshine".

https://les319.wordpress.com/2020/06...orever-sensei/
    Thank you for this link! So the article speaks about Margo's involvement with Buddhism -and I have a feeling saying that is REALLY watering it down. Apparently, she was deep into this movement that taught world peace can only be achieved AFTER individuals attain personal peace and then spread the effects to other individuals. The article also focuses on how Margo was asked to help adapt a song into English lyrics, the song being about a facet of the Buddhist faith. All of that just makes it more fascinating that this woman so deeply connected to this faith and social issues was involved with a Motown cover. I'm sure the choice of "What's So Good About Good -Bye" was down to Lou Adler, but even that would be fascinating if that's the case. Thanks for digging this up!

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I grew up in that era and I really liked that interpretation of Smokey's song.

And this opens up a new can of worms for comparison and discussion. This interpretation by David Stewart & Barbara Gaskins of the Four Tops' "I'm In a Different World" is very ethereal.
    Ok. I gotta say it: I actually PREFER this version, 100%, hands down, to the original. I do. I could never get into the Tops' recording. It just sounds too heavy-handed and morose. I could never put my finger on it before but one of the things I don't like about the original is that Levi actually comes off sounding almost self-pitying [[and I know many will stone me for THAT!). Levi never ever sounded defeated before, at worst, he could sound soulfully neurotic, so something is seriously wrong with a song that makes him sound sorry for himself at times. This cover is much lighter, breezier and yet it really has a killer groove. That's just my opinion but I'm awfully happy you shared this here!!!! This is a nice surprise to be sure- Thank You!

I've never heard this version of Smokey's "What's So Good About Goodbye" before, but I've gotta admit I like it! Produced by Lou Adler, it's interesting to note that the few early-to-mid-'60s [[non-Motown) Girl Groups who survived the British Invasion developed the very same late-'60s Mamas & Papas "sound" as in the production of this record. Lou Adler was married to Shelley Fabares [singer [["Johnny Angel"/actress [[Donna Reed Show) from 1964-1980. Her late-''60s singles were no exception with their jangly guitars and folk-rock harpsichord style.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-29-2022 at 12:15 AM.

The tops ‘different world’ is magnificent,Levi at his best.A big hit in U.K.
    Just an opinion

Quote Originally Posted by davidr View Post
    The tops ‘different world’ is magnificent,Levi at his best.A big hit in U.K.
    Just an opinion
    I love it and it's one HDH's favs too! Was not a big UK hit, only got to #27.

Interesting that YOU'RE MY EVERYTHING was released June 13th and REFLECTIONS was released six weeks later on July 24th. That was a slow climb for the Temptations, while the Supremes seemingly flew up the charts.

I, too, love the Four Tops' version of "I'm In A Different World". The bass line alone is totally hot and unique. As always, Levi wraps his heart around the lyrics and makes them his own..

The Giant Sunflower

Band, US, Los Angeles
    Rock
    American band active from 1966 to 1968. Margo Phillips - Vocals Terry Clements - Lead guitar, vocals Val Garay - Rhythm guitar, vocals Rick Dey - Bass Eddie Hoh - Drums

Val Garay*1942 US, San Francisco

Producer of Rock
    A.k.a. Val Christian Garay
    Val Garay [[born May 9, 1942 in San Francisco, California) is a record producer and engineer who has worked with Kim Carnes, The Motels, Mr. Big, Bonnie Raitt, Eric Burdon, Dolly Parton, Pablo Cruise, James Taylor, Queensr˙che, Neil Diamond, Dramarama, EZO, Ringo Starr, Linda Ronstadt, Sarah Brightman, Nicolette Larson, Kenny Rogers, Santana, Reel Big Fish, Joan Armatrading, Katrina, plus many others.