[REMOVE ADS]

Diana possible to be nominated for best traditional pop vocal album grammy

The first round of voting closed Sunday and the nominations will be announced November 15. There are 78 albums vying for the nomination of Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album and ten of those albums are thought to be the most likely to receive one of those five nominations. Diana's album is one of them.

Diana Ross, ‘Thank You’

Current Grammy totals: 12 nominations, no wins

Notes: You read that right: The great star has never won a Grammy in competition, despite a dozen nominations dating back to 1964. The Recording Academy bestowed a lifetime achievement award upon Ross in 2012, but a competitive Grammy would be nice, if long overdue. She would be the second Motown legend to be nominated in this category: Smokey Robinson was nominated 16 years ago with Timeless Love. Thank You was Ross’ first studio album since 2006’s I Love You, and first album of original material since 1999’s Every Day Is a New Day.

https://www.billboard.com/lists/gram...oss-thank-you/

I'm not sure this album really fits with the category of the Grammy. The vast majority, if not all, of the albums nominated and have won in this category are dedicated to the Great American Songbook in either song selection or arrangement. Think Supremes Sing Rodgers & Hart, music of Cole Porter, Johnny Mercer, etc. Thank You doesn't really fit that mold. It would be better served in the R&B category.

And not to be Debbie Downer, but does this album have enough critical acclaim and recognition to get it over the finish line? Granted for the longest time it was the Tony Bennett category as anything he did, whether good or not, vocal or fart, was nominated and won. I know she got some good reviews on it but I don’t think it was a solid, across the board, critical smash. That really helps an album get nominated and win.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 10-25-2022 at 11:13 PM.

I don't disagree with you. But it would be very hard for an artist like Diana to compete with contemporary artists in the R&B category. Perhaps they are using this category to also honor the classic artist, who couldn't compete fairly in the other categories. It should not be that way. That is like categorizing music by age. The link gave this definition of the category

The Recording Academy introduced this category in 1991 as a way to honor the music that by that point had a hard time competing in the pop categories. The first winner was a single, Natalie Cole’s “Unforgettable,” a duet with her late father Nat King Cole, but all subsequent winners have been full-length albums.

Here’s the description of the category from the current Grammy rules and guidelines booklet: “This category is for performances of a type and style of song that cannot properly be intermingled with present forms of pop music. This includes older forms of traditional pop such as the Great American Songbook, created by the Broadway, Hollywood and Tin Pan Alley songwriter of the period between the 1920s and the end of World War II, as well as cabaret/musical theater-style songs and previous forms of contemporary pop. This would also include contemporary pop songs performed in a traditional pop style – the term ‘traditional’ being a reference, equally, to the style of the composition, vocal styling and the instrumental arrangement, without regard to the age of the material.”

Kind of confusing, but when I read between the lines, it kind of says that this category is for older artists who could not fairly compete in the regular categories. Of course we can make between the lines say anything we want them to say, so that proves nothing

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I don't disagree with you. But it would be very hard for an artist like Diana to compete with contemporary artists in the R&B category. Perhaps they are using this category to also honor the classic artist, who couldn't compete fairly in the other categories. It should not be that way. That is like categorizing music by age. The link gave this definition of the category

The Recording Academy introduced this category in 1991 as a way to honor the music that by that point had a hard time competing in the pop categories. The first winner was a single, Natalie Cole’s “Unforgettable,” a duet with her late father Nat King Cole, but all subsequent winners have been full-length albums.

Here’s the description of the category from the current Grammy rules and guidelines booklet: “This category is for performances of a type and style of song that cannot properly be intermingled with present forms of pop music. This includes older forms of traditional pop such as the Great American Songbook, created by the Broadway, Hollywood and Tin Pan Alley songwriter of the period between the 1920s and the end of World War II, as well as cabaret/musical theater-style songs and previous forms of contemporary pop. This would also include contemporary pop songs performed in a traditional pop style – the term ‘traditional’ being a reference, equally, to the style of the composition, vocal styling and the instrumental arrangement, without regard to the age of the material.”

Kind of confusing, but when I read between the lines, it kind of says that this category is for older artists who could not fairly compete in the regular categories. Of course we can make between the lines say anything we want them to say, so that proves nothing
    Interesting. I've always regarded this category as dedicated musically to the songs of yesteryear and standards. I still don't think her album fits in with the category though.

Would be nice to recognize her work

Walked into my gym yesterday and If The World Just Danced was playing from a Spotify recent hits list

Here's a Wiki article about the category with a listing of winners and nominees. The award does lean hard into albums of standards, but Christmas albums have also been nominated as well as albums with original material such as Rufus Wainwright's 2021 album Unfollow the Rules. So "Thank You" could qualify and fit the definition. Let's see if it happens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy...op_Vocal_Album

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Walked into my gym yesterday and If The World Just Danced was playing from a Spotify recent hits list
    Nice! Such a great [[really, perfect) single. Just out of its time.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I'm not sure this album really fits with the category of the Grammy. The vast majority, if not all, of the albums nominated and have won in this category are dedicated to the Great American Songbook in either song selection or arrangement. Think Supremes Sing Rodgers & Hart, music of Cole Porter, Johnny Mercer, etc. Thank You doesn't really fit that mold. It would be better served in the R&B category.
    Agree with everything you've written. However, there is no more egregious oversight than Ross being snubbed by the Grammys for her entire Motown tenure. All that classic music overlooked?! In the last 15 years, there has been no real standard for Grammy consideration. So many lesser, modestly talented artists have taken big awards. Other artists who do not sing their own vocals, cannot play an instrument, and cannot read or write music have won grammys.

Sustaining herself for 60 years in an industry that has sometimes been inexplicably unkind to her is worthy of any award. I hope Ross is nominated and I will be rooting for her to win -- I don't care who she's nominated against.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Agree with everything you've written. However, there is no more egregious oversight than Ross being snubbed by the Grammys for her entire Motown tenure. All that classic music overlooked?! In the last 15 years, there has been no real standard for Grammy consideration. So many lesser, modestly talented artists have taken big awards. Other artists who do not sing their own vocals, cannot play an instrument, and cannot read or write music have won grammys.

Sustaining herself for 60 years in an industry that has sometimes been inexplicably unkind to her is worthy of any award. I hope Ross is nominated and I will be rooting for her to win -- I don't care who she's nominated against.
    The Grammys did give her a Lifetime Achievement Award so they did make up for that oversight.

I love Diana but I wouldn’t want her album to be nominated if it meant a superior, far more deserving album was shut out. It’s not her best work and I wouldn’t see it as a worthy win but more of a consolation prize.

Didn’t Michael win some low tier Grammy award for best spoken word album for reciting star wars dialogue or some thing corny like that

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Didn’t Michael win some low tier Grammy award for best spoken word album for reciting star wars dialogue or some thing corny like that
    I think he won a Best Album for Children award for E.T.

Great album. Deserves a Grammy Award. Very enjoyable songs. Diana Ross' voice is velvet on this album.

I would be very surprised if it is nominated. If it is, I will have more respect for the Grammys - and I do believe they've been trying hard to be relevant; I also think they have had little choice because their ratings have declined a lot and the criticisms are rampant.

These days they are awarding people for reasons Guy set out - for best fart on a record; and for much of the past they gave few awards to people like Diana who've last forever; they have every reason to be embarrassed and to do a lot of ass kissing.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    The Grammys did give her a Lifetime Achievement Award so they did make up for that oversight.

I love Diana but I wouldn’t want her album to be nominated if it meant a superior, far more deserving album was shut out. It’s not her best work and I wouldn’t see it as a worthy win but more of a consolation prize.
    The Lifetime Achievement Award was her consolation prize. She deserves, and has deserved, a competitive Grammy. 40+ years ago. the "diana" album should have taken everything.

The Lifetime Achievement Award was her consolation prize. She deserves, and has deserved, a competitive Grammy. 40+ years ago. the "diana" album should have taken everything.
    Not to mention Stop in the Name of Love, You Keep Me Hangin On, or Someday We’ll Be Together or Ain’t No Mountain High Emough or Touch Me in the Morning

It’s always a shame there was a song or album considered more worthy.

My thoughts about Diana's Grammy noms, with and without the Supremes:

-Best R&B Recording: "Baby Love", lost to Nancy Wilson's "How Glad I Am", also up against Joe Tex "Hold What You Got", Sam Cooke "Good Times", the Impressions "Keep On Pushing", Dionne Warwick "Walk On By". I think Nancy won because her song was the "safest" and most pop. My personal opinion is that "Keep On Pushing" should have won.

-Best Rock and Roll Group Performance: "Stop In the Name of Love", lost to the Statler Bros "Flowers On the Wall". Also up against "Wooly Bully", Herman's Hermits "Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter", Beatles "Help". I think "Stop" stands out among the nominees and seems out of place which could explain why the Supremes lost. I'm familiar with "Help" and "Bully", barely acquainted with "Mrs. Brown", and don't believe I've ever heard "Flowers On the Wall", so I can't say whether or not the Supremes should have won this category.

-Best Contemporary Female Vocal Performance [[Pop): "Aint No Mountain High Enough", lost to Dionne Warwick "I'll Never Fall In Love Again". Also up against Anne Murray "Snowbird", Linda Ronstadt "Long Long Time", Bobbie Gentry "Fancy", the last two are albums while the other nominees are singles. Seems weird to compare whole albums to one single. I think, like "Stop", "Mountain" was in the wrong category. Diana's vocal on "Mountain" is not pop. I'm guessing they got it right with Dionne.

-Best R&B Vocal Performance: "Call Me", lost to Aretha's "Bridge Over Troubled Water". Also up against Janis Joplin's "Pearl", Jean Knight's "Mr. Big Stuff", Freda Payne's Contact. As much as I love Diana's version of "Call Me", the Grammys got this one right.

-Best Pop Female Vocal Performance: "Touch Me In the Morning", lost to Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly". Also up against Carly Simon "You're So Vain", Anne Murray "Danny's Song", Bette Midler "Bugle Boy". This was stiff competition for Diana. With the exception of "Bugle", I think all of these had a real argument for why it should win. So it's hard for me to say Diana should have won or that any of the others should have won over her. Very stiff competition.

-Best R&B Vocal Performance Female: "Love Hangover", lost to Natalie Cole's "Sophisticated Lady". Also up against Aretha's "Something He Can Feel", Dorothy Moore's "Misty Blue", Melba Moore "Lean On Me". Once again, Diana's competition is stiff. Any of these were worthy of the award. I think the argument could be made that Diana doesn't sing for a portion of the song and when she does she has all these strange vocalizations. It's definitely a different vocal approach than the competition. No way was she going to win against these singers, not with "Hangover".

-Best R&B Vocal Performance Female: "Your Love Is So Good For Me", lost to Thelma Houston's "Don't Leave Me This Way". Also up against Natalie Cole "I've Got Love On My Mind", Dorothy Moore "I Believe In You", Aretha "Break It To Me Gently". I don't know what the Grammys were even thinking nominating "Your Love Is So Good". Set aside my hatred for the song, it wasn't even the best Diana vocal from that album that year. I think they needed one more Black woman singer and said "Hey, how about Diana Ross?" and then threw some songs in a hat and picked one and that's the crap they went with. Thelma thoroughly deserved her win, but truth is that each of those other songs [[especially my particular favorite "Love On My Mind") were worthy. "Your Love" was not. Ugh.

-Best R&B Vocal Performance, Group: "Ease On Down the Road", lost to EWF "All N All". Also up against Ojays "Used To Be My Girl", Commodores "Natural High", A Taste of Honey "Boogie Oogie Oogie". IMO both "Ease" and "Boogie" are out of place among the greatness that existed in the category. "Ease" is kind of cheesy, but it does contain a great vocal from Diana and Michael. I think it's possible that the negative reception of the movie could have hindered the song's nomination, however I really just don't believe it had a chance, not up against EWF, the Ojays, even the Commodores. "Ease" didn't deserve it.

-Best R&B Vocal Performance Female: "Upside Down", lost to Stephanie Mills "Never Knew Love Like This". Also up against Roberta Flack ft Donny Hathaway lp, Minnie Riperton "Love Lives Forever" lp, Aretha "Can't Turn You Loose". Stephanie killed "Never", and Ree tore up "Can't Turn You Loose". Diana didn't stand a chance. "Upside Down" just aint in the same league.

-Record of the Year: "Endless Love", lost to "Bette Davis Eyes". Also up against Grover Washington and Bill Withers "Just the Two Of Us", Christopher Cross "Arthur's Theme", John Lennon and Yoko Ono "Starting Over". Once again, stiff competition, but I think Diana and Lionel had a real shot. I love "Bette Davis Eyes" and "Arthur's Theme" and feel they were as worthy as "Endless Love".

-Best Pop Performance By Duo or Group: "Endless Love", lost to Manhattan Transfer's "Boy From New York City". Also up against the Pointer Sisters "Slow Hand", Hall and Oates Private Eyes album, Steely Dan Gaucho album. As much as I love Manhattan Transfer, how "Boy From NYC" beat out "Endless Love" and "Slow Hand" will always be a mystery. I still don't understand why whole lps are being nominated against singles. As much as I love "Slow Hand" [[and all things Pointers), and as much as I'm not a big fan of "Endless Love" [[it has grown on me just a bit over the last couple years), I do think this might be the one time Diana [[and in conjuction with Lionel) got shafted. This should have been the one.

-Best R&B Vocal Performance Female: "Muscles", lost to Jennifer Holliday "And I Am Telling You". Also up against Donna Summer "Love Is In Control", Aretha Jump To It album, Deniece Williams "Gonna Take A Miracle", Patrice Rushen "Forget Me Nots". Let's be real, nobody stood a chance up against "And I Am Telling You". "Muscles" damn sure shouldn't have been considered in the same vocal league as that masterpiece. The award went to the most deserving one.

So in my breakdown, I just don't feel like the awards she lost out on were hers to begin with. She was often nominated against better performances and should have considered it an honor to even be considered.

That said, I do think the Grammys apparently overlooked much better Diana vocal performances than what they ended up nominating. She should have gotten nominations for her performances on the Surrender lp, LSTB, TMITM, The Boss. Whether or not she should have won would have to be determined by who she might have been up against.

The fact that the Supremes only had two noms- and very early on in their hit making period- is to me the bigger travesty. Certainly at least half of their hits that followed "Stop" deserved to be nominated in some category. The Supremes were killing the game and doing so with top notch music. A real shame.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    So in my breakdown, I just don't feel like the awards she lost out on were hers to begin with. She was often nominated against better performances and should have considered it an honor to even be considered.

That said, I do think the Grammys apparently overlooked much better Diana vocal performances than what they ended up nominating. She should have gotten nominations for her performances on the Surrender lp, LSTB, TMITM, The Boss. Whether or not she should have won would have to be determined by who she might have been up against.

The fact that the Supremes only had two noms- and very early on in their hit making period- is to me the bigger travesty. Certainly at least half of their hits that followed "Stop" deserved to be nominated in some category. The Supremes were killing the game and doing so with top notch music. A real shame.
    I agree in that some of those early Supremes hits deserved to receive some kind of recognition from the industry.
    A massive hit such as “Endless Love” not winning anything was rather suspicious to say the least.
    I’ve always wondered why the beautiful “Theme From Mahogany” never received a Grammy nomination.
    Had Diana upset someone somewhere?.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 11-02-2022 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I agree in that some of those early Supremes hits deserved to receive some kind of recognition from the industry.
    A massive hit such as “Endless Love” not winning anything was rather suspicious to say the least.
    I’ve always wondered why the beautiful “Theme From Mahogany” never received a Grammy nomination.
    Had Diana upset someone somewhere?.
    "My World", "Hurry", "Hangin", "Love Is Here", "Reflections", "Love Child", "Someday", "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me", "Ladder", "Stoned"...each of these certainly had to be worthy of a Grammy nom. I'm not suggesting that each of them had to be nominated, but the fact that none of them were is mind boggling.

"Endless Love" was the one Diana song that I feel got undeservedly snubbed for Best Pop Performance. That was a strange one.

Regarding "Theme From Mahogany", I suspect that the song was so disgustingly annoying that it couldn't get enough votes for a nomination, let alone have a chance at winning.

Regarding "Theme From Mahogany", I suspect that the song was so disgustingly annoying that it couldn't get enough votes for a nomination, let alone have a chance at winning.
    “WHAAAT”. The beautiful melody, those strings, the emotion. Diana’s dreamy vocals caressing the lyrics like mother to a child. What was there not to like?.
    Probably the best film theme of all time and my favourite Diana song. It deserved every award going in my admittedly biased opinion.

Ran, that is quite a comprehensive breakdown of her Grammy history. Thanks.

Curious, that "Home" was not nominated given that it is one of her most impressive vocals, but "Ease on Down The Road" got a nod. Also, "The Boss" as an album should have been a strong contender the year Donna Summer won the R&B female vocal category.

“WHAAAT”. The beautiful melody, those strings, the emotion. Diana’s dreamy vocals caressing the lyrics like mother to a child. What was there not to like?.
    Probably the best film theme of all time and my favourite Diana song. It deserved every award going in my admittedly biased opinion.
    I have to admit, I'm biased against it. I have never liked that song, always found it to be one of the most annoying songs of all time. Even Diana's live versions don't do anything for me. I really hate that song, and I have a feeling I'm not alone. I think it holds some kind of record for fastest drop out of the top 10 from #1, or something. I'd rather listen to "Pieces Of Ice".

Ran, that is quite a comprehensive breakdown of her Grammy history. Thanks.

Curious, that "Home" was not nominated given that it is one of her most impressive vocals, but "Ease on Down The Road" got a nod. Also, "The Boss" as an album should have been a strong contender the year Donna Summer won the R&B female vocal category.
    Regarding "Home", I thought that too. "Be A Lion" also has an outstanding vocal on it that should have had the nom over "Ease". And yes, The Boss album should have been nominated.

"I Thought It Took A Little Time" was a much better contender than "Love Hangover" for the category "Hangover" was nominated in. Diana's vocal is brilliant. Would she have won over Natalie? I don't know. But I think her vocal on "Thought" would be in good company with the other nominees that year.

I have to admit, I'm biased against it. I have never liked that song, always found it to be one of the most annoying songs of all time. Even Diana's live versions don't do anything for me. I really hate that song, and I have a feeling I'm not alone. I think it holds some kind of record for fastest drop out of the top 10 from #1, or something. I'd rather listen to "Pieces Of Ice".

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I'll go, but not because you have any power Sans. It's Friday and I have to find out where I'm going and if I like the things that life is showing me.

Love or loath it, forever it will remain one of the ballads she is best remembered for.

Amazingly, Do You Know Where You're Going To was a complete flop in the UK when first released.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Amazingly, Do You Know Where You're Going To was a complete flop in the UK when first released.
    It certainly took a while to take off. I can remember as a young kid hearing the radio dj comment “I don't understand why there's no sign of this record on the charts yet”.

Love or loath it, forever it will remain one of the ballads she is best remembered for.
    And on this we can agree.