[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Diana Bootleg

Diana Bootleg

There are apparently a ton of 70s Supremes bootleg shows circulating. Is this also the case with Diana? I know the Grove 70 show apparently made the rounds, but anything else?

There are also bootlegs of a show from her TOUR '79 [[before the show was restructured with songs from THE BOSS) and a 1980 show at the Circle Star Theatre in CA.

oh there are tons of diana shows on bootleg. there are just the ones i've downloaded onto my ipad

live in Amsterdam 1973
    live at Royal Albert Hall 1973
    Live in Copenhagen 1973
    Live in Paris 1973
    Evening With 1977
    Live in Japan 1978
    World Tour 1989 HBO concert
    Live in Rotterdam 1994
    Live in Japan 1998

plus bootlegs of the tv specials. I didn't download as many from the 90s but there were multiple out there

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    oh there are tons of diana shows on bootleg. there are just the ones i've downloaded onto my ipad

live in Amsterdam 1973
    live at Royal Albert Hall 1973
    Live in Copenhagen 1973
    Live in Paris 1973
    Evening With 1977
    Live in Japan 1978
    World Tour 1989 HBO concert
    Live in Rotterdam 1994
    Live in Japan 1998

plus bootlegs of the tv specials. I didn't download as many from the 90s but there were multiple out there
    Aren't the ones you named dubs of tv specials? I was thinking more of someone sneaking a cassette recorder into one of her concerts.

I guess the biggest bootleg might be the 1970 conversation Diana had with a supposedly troubled fan who taped the call and it ended up being copied. Has anyone here ever heard it?

oh gotcha - yeah these are mostly international tv shows that have just made the rounds among fans.

as for that fan phone dialog, the only place i've heard that was in Call Her Miss Ross. it wasn't in Randy's first or latest book on Diana so not sure of its source or background

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There are also bootlegs of a show from her TOUR '79 [[before the show was restructured with songs from THE BOSS) and a 1980 show at the Circle Star Theatre in CA.
    Thanks Reese. You have a list of performed songs for these?

I guess the biggest bootleg might be the 1970 conversation Diana had with a supposedly troubled fan who taped the call and it ended up being copied. Has anyone here ever heard it?
    I haven't heard it, but word on the street is that it was Mary and Cindy prank calling Diana one night after a few too many.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Thanks Reese. You have a list of performed songs for these?
    I don't remember the exact set list for the 1979 bootleg but it was very similar to the TOUR '79 show that I saw:
    AIN"T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH
    TOO SHY TO SAY
    GETTIN' READY FOR LOVE
    TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING
    I WANNA BE BAD
    LOVIN', LIVIN' AND GIVIN'
    LOVE HANGOVER
    REACH OUT AND TOUCH
    BABY LOVE/STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE/YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE/REFLECTIONS/MY WORLD IS EMPTY WITHOUT YOU/I HEAR A SYMPHONY
    REMEMBER ME
    LADY SINGS THE BLUES
    T'AIN'T NOBODY'S BIZNESS
    I CRIED FOR YOU
    GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE
    THEM THERE EYES
    MY MAN
    THEME FROM MAHOGANY
    SOON AS I GET HOME/HOME
    YOU WERE THE ONE / AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH

*Note: On the bootleg, Diana also performed ALL NIGHT LOVER from the BABY IT'S ME album

Re the 1980 show, it was similar to the HBO special but as I remember, it wasn't complete. At one point, the orchestra played ACOUSTIC LADY while [I assume] she was changing clothes. Also, I have a vague memory that she might have also pulled out the A CHORUS LINE segment from her 1976/1977 show.
    Last edited by reese; 11-01-2022 at 10:58 AM.

Reese, are these audio or video bootlegs?

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Reese, are these audio or video bootlegs?
    These are audio bootlegs.

But as you probably seen, Roberta75 recently posted a YouTube bootleg with 20 minutes of Diana's 1979 Phoenix concert.

These are audio bootlegs.

But as you probably seen, Roberta75 recently posted a YouTube bootleg with 20 minutes of Diana's 1979 Phoenix concert.
    Thanks Reese. I would like to see some of Diana’s late 70’s, early 80’s concerts. Yes I saw that clip. I wonder how recording something like that was possible [[video). Equipment back then was huge. I’m sure Diana recorded some. She needs to remaster them and release them.

Diana needs to release the full 1980 concert at the Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Thanks Reese. I would like to see some of Diana’s late 70’s, early 80’s concerts. Yes I saw that clip. I wonder how recording something like that was possible [[video). Equipment back then was huge. I’m sure Diana recorded some. She needs to remaster them and release them.
    Maybe Diana had someone record it for own collection. I recall reading that Tina Turner used to have her BREAK EVERY RULE concerts recorded nightly so that she could study them. Perhaps Diana did the same re the Phoenix show.

Diana Ross's June 1982 concert in Brussels was recorded; that's where the footage of Marvin Gaye and her on stage in Missing You is from. Would be great to get that show released.

I don't remember the exact set list for the 1979 bootleg but it was very similar to the TOUR '79 show that I saw:
    AIN"T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH
    TOO SHY TO SAY
    GETTIN' READY FOR LOVE
    TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING
    I WANNA BE BAD
    LOVIN', LIVIN' AND GIVIN'
    LOVE HANGOVER
    REACH OUT AND TOUCH
    BABY LOVE/STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE/YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE/REFLECTIONS/MY WORLD IS EMPTY WITHOUT YOU/I HEAR A SYMPHONY
    REMEMBER ME
    LADY SINGS THE BLUES
    T'AIN'T NOBODY'S BIZNESS
    I CRIED FOR YOU
    GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE
    THEM THERE EYES
    MY MAN
    THEME FROM MAHOGANY
    SOON AS I GET HOME/HOME
    YOU WERE THE ONE / AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH

*Note: On the bootleg, Diana also performed ALL NIGHT LOVER from the BABY IT'S ME album

Re the 1980 show, it was similar to the HBO special but as I remember, it wasn't complete. At one point, the orchestra played ACOUSTIC LADY while [I assume] she was changing clothes. Also, I have a vague memory that she might have also pulled out the A CHORUS LINE segment from her 1976/1977 show.
    I heard "You Were the One" was in the act for a time. I'd love to get my hands on that bootleg for that reason alone. Thanks again Reese!

Maybe Diana had someone record it for own collection. I recall reading that Tina Turner used to have her BREAK EVERY RULE concerts recorded nightly so that she could study them. Perhaps Diana did the same re the Phoenix show.
    That makes sense. I wonder too if it might have been footage from a local tv station? Seems like I recall a television spot- maybe for a local news show- where some of this footage was used in a spot about Diana, that's if memory is serving me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Diana Ross's June 1982 concert in Brussels was recorded; that's where the footage of Marvin Gaye and her on stage in Missing You is from. Would be great to get that show released.
    I always wondered where that footage came from! I would love to see the whole show.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    That makes sense. I wonder too if it might have been footage from a local tv station? Seems like I recall a television spot- maybe for a local news show- where some of this footage was used in a spot about Diana, that's if memory is serving me.
    I didn't think of that. A local station could be a source as well, although the position of the camera almost beneath the stage at times doesn't seem like something a tv station would do. Also, when I worked in tv, usually only the first or second number would be recorded for the local news. After that, cameras were usually told to pack up unless there were special allowances made.

Nevertheless, I am glad it was recorded under any circumstances. As much as I love the 1979 HBO special, I would love to see the show in its different stages prior to that, like the big shoe used while Diana sang TO LOVE AGAIN or when she did all of the characters from THE WIZ.
    Last edited by reese; 11-02-2022 at 10:17 AM.

As much as I love the 1979 HBO special, I would love to see the show in its different stages prior to that, like the big shoe used while Diana sang TO LOVE AGAIN or when she did all of the characters from THE WIZ.
    Agree. If there is one Diana concert i would simply love to see it would surely be that one. Seeing Diana perform “To Love Again” from inside a ginormous pink high heeled shoe would alone be worth its weight in gold.