[REMOVE ADS]

Robert Louis Gordy Sr. [Brother of Berry Gordy] Passes Away at 91

Info From Rated R&B-
    Music publishing executive Robert Louis Gordy, Sr., the younger brother of Motown Records founder Berry Gordy, passed away. He was 91.
    His family confirmed that he passed away from natural causes on Friday, Oct. 21 at his home in Marina del Rey, California.

“I am deeply saddened by the sudden passing of my younger brother, Robert,” Berry Gordy said in a statement. “He was absolutely the best lil’ brother anyone could ever hope for. His ability to succeed at whatever he attempted or that I threw his way, amazed me over the years. I will miss his love, his support, and his loyalty.”

Before Robert Gordy, Sr. got into the music publishing sector, he was an artist under the pseudonym Bob Kayli.
    His 1958 single “Everyone Was There,” which he co-wrote with Berry, was a mild hit. Released on Carlton Records, the song peaked at No. 96 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Robert later worked at Motown Records, where he eventually became the head of the label’s publishing division, Jobete Music, in 1965.
    Robert is survived by his three children, Roxanna Wright, Rodney Gordy and Fuller Gordy [a.k.a. Sky Blu of rap-pop duo LMFAO]; his brother, Berry Gordy; four grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren, and other relatives.
    His son, Robert Gordy Jr., passed away in 2021 from natural causes of a non-specific disease.
    Funeral arrangements for Robert Gordy, Sr. are expected to be announced at a later date.

Sorry to hear this. Aside from his music, I'll always treasure his scene-stealing appearance in Lady Sings the Blues as Hawk, the pusher. Peace and condolences to the Gordy family.

Condolences to Berry Gordy & the rest of his family. Rest in Peace Robert L. Gordy.

Here is the Detroit News writeup including a picture of him. Note that donations are suggested to go to the Motown Museum.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/en...1/69583993007/

He told me that he was the first member of the Gordy family to go into professional music.

Edit: I screwed up! George was who told me he was the first family member in music.
    Last edited by bob_olhsson; 10-25-2022 at 03:53 PM. Reason: I screwed up!

My condolence to Berry Gordy for the loss of his brother, Robert. May he rest in peace and sing with the angels.

Condolences to Berry Gordy who’s now the last of Berry and Bertha’s children still alive. RIP Robert and thank you for helping your brother’s [and indirectly many others’] dreams come true!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  21.1 KB
    Sorry to find out about this sad news. My condolences to all who knew him, loved him, and appreciated him.

It was reported that Bob Kayli started his music career under the pseudonym, Bob Kayli, in 1958 with the novelty hit “Everyone Was There,” written by Robert and Berry, which he performed on the Dick Clark TV show.

Has anyone ever seen a video of his performance on the DCTV Show?