[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Gladys is known for consistently performing for an hour? I've seen her twice now, in 2011 and again a few weeks ago. Both times were over 75 mins. This latest time, I believe she was on stage for about 85 mins. Kindly mentioning it because I'm surprised hearing about her being known for delivering all-too-short shows.

Personally, I end up rolling my eyes when the Diana stories come up in her interviews. Although I don't let it stop me from being a fan of hers. It doesn't bother me to that extent. If I were to let those types of things bother me, then I would be a fan of very few artists.

I am sorry to read about your negative experience with Gladys, Roberta. It can be difficult to shake off those feelings, when you're a fan and you have been mistreated by an artist you love. I can sympathize, having been down that road quite a few times. A friend of mine who rubbed elbows with many stars over the years, told me, "If you're going to stand near that stage door, you better be prepared for what could come out."
    Hi there, Carlo! I hope you are well. I will admit that I have not seen Gladys live for a LOOONG time now, so my post may be out of date. But ... I was fortunate to see GL&tP several times during the 'glory years', and they were incandescent, representative of American family achievement at its best, and most definitely on-and-off in a perfectly performed 60 minutes. During the 90's solo years I saw Gladys solo twice, both times at NYC's used-to-be-Felt-Forum-and-been-renamed-5,542 times and yes, the show was performed at breakneck pace and Gladys was surely in her limo at 61 minutes. I recall audience members thinking it was the intermission until the lights came up. Gladys did not talk quite as much then as now, and did not feature the unmissable comic stylings of Bubba, so that may account for the longer shows since then. I hope all is well with you and always look forward to your posts!

Maybe that’s why Gladys is the last vocalist from the era to still have her voice

Do people pay extra to have Gladys spend extra time with them?
    if not surely the honor is at her discretion . If they do invest the dough , I hope a proper refund is given if she opts out.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-28-2022 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Maybe that’s why Gladys is the last vocalist from the era to still have her voice .
    That she is Boogie. A very natural instrument.

... so randomly I was looking up some performers' names in the NY Time's archives and found this review of a GK&tP's performance at NYC's Central Park Schaefer Music Festival in '73. As headliners their show clocked in at 40 minutes; I attended many performances at the SMF and truncated sets by the headliner was certainly not the norm for these high-profile gigs:

"Gladys Knight Delights Park Show Fans

“You know how to make a girl nervous,” exclaimed Gladys Knight at the roar of approval that went up on Monday when she—with the Pips—appeared at the Schaefer Music Festival in Central Park. Miss Knight then went on to demonstrate how superbly relaxed she actually was. The foursome ripped through—sometimes at stunning tempo, with the three male Pips raising the mere repetition of “whoop‐whoop” almost to arc roan status—a collection of familiar songs from their decades‐old collection, culminating with their biggest success, “I Heard It on the Grapevine.”
    The show ended after only 40 minutes, but it was finely edited, paced and programed. It's not how long you make it...
    Blue Hare, young but oldies‐oriented, opened."

https://www.nytimes.com/1973/08/17/a...-husbands.html