[REMOVE ADS]

Master of eyes [[The deepness of your eyes) - Aretha Franklin

Hi Folks,

I would like to know, who sing the backrounds of this marvelous track by the Queen. It ist one of my favorite outtake from "Hey now hey" I heard that at the end of the decade Aretha often works with The Sweethearts of Soul. Maybe there are the backround singers???

Thank you so much for clarify and help.

I'm not really sure. The Quincy Jones album [on which this single is NOT included although he co-produced it] is one of the few that has very few personnel credits.

If it is the Sweethearts of Soul, I believe at that time they consisted of Margaret Branch, Brenda Bryant, and Pat Smith. At some points, I think Aretha might have joined in as well.

My ears hear Cissy on the "darling, reach out just for me" line; could it be The Sweet Inspirations?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    My ears hear Cissy on the "darling, reach out just for me" line; could it be The Sweet Inspirations?
    It doesn't sound like the Sweets to me. And by the time the HEY NOW HEY project was recorded [1972], Cissy was no longer in the group. Of course, that doesn't mean she couldn't have done it on her own.

To me, it does sound more like the Sweethearts of Soul on this, as well as some of the outtakes that have since been released.
    Last edited by reese; 10-17-2022 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It doesn't sound like the Sweets to me. And by the time the HEY NOW HEY project was recorded [1972], Cissy was no longer in the group. Of course, that doesn't mean she couldn't have done it on her own.

To me, it does sound more like the Sweethearts of Soul on this, as well as some of the outtakes that have since been released.
    Point taken -- but didn't the Sweets reunite with Cissy on the Let Me in Your Life​ sessions roughly a year or two later? Just thinking out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Point taken -- but didn't the Sweets reunite with Cissy on the Let Me in Your Life​ sessions roughly a year or two later? Just thinking out loud.
    Cissy did a few vocals on LMIYL with Sylvia Shemwell, Myrna Smith, and Judy Clay, as well as the later YOU album, on which she sang along with the Sweethearts of Soul. That's why I thought Cissy possibly could have done MASTER as well.

But were the Sweets as a unit doing a lot of sessions during the 70s? I thought they were on tour quite a bit with Elvis.
    Last edited by reese; 10-17-2022 at 11:24 AM.