[REMOVE ADS]

VA-"For Dancers 40 [CD Edition]" [11/25/2022-Kent/Ace UK]

Info from Ace Records-

Kent Records are commemorating 40 years since the LP Kent 001 “For Dancers Only” hit the record shops of 1982 with resounding success. Our new CD “For Dancers Forty” revisits the US Modern and Kent labels that started it all off.
    We have already released a “For Dancers Forty” LP but though the compilations share the same celebratory title, only three tracks feature on both. We didn’t want to neglect our digital customers at the expense of the vinyl hounds.
    The collection represents the breadth of label-owners Saul, Jules, Joe and Lester Bihari’s recordings, featuring stompers, Rhythm & Blues rockers, girl soul grooves group harmony and sublime ballads.
    Several tracks are new to Kent CDs. There are previously unheard 1966 soul recording from 50s Modern R&B artists Aaron Collins and his siters The Teen Queens, guitarist/songwriter Arthur Adams and soul-crooner Billy Watkins. Kent stalwarts Mary Love and Z Z Hill are featured, musically and on the front cover, with a recently discovered studio shot. As with Kent 001 we feature the R&B sounds of the label from T-Bone Walker, Little Joe Blue, Flash Terry and the mighty B B King. There are underplayed tracks by Jeanette Jones, Lowell Fulson and Tommy Youngblood – whose moody LP-only track ‘Tobacco Road North’ has been sampled by US rappers.
    As ever on our rare soul scene, it is the lesser-known artists who we spotlight - there are largely unheard tracks by Teddy Reynolds [from a very obscure Twist LP], King Solomon and a plaintive ballad from Beatrice Lee. Northern Soul devotees will enjoy The Sweethearts’ Motownesque ‘No More Tears’, Jimmy Bee’s new and improved ‘Wanting You’ with added chorus, which has a digital debut and Clay Hammond’s cult mover ‘You Brought It All On Yourself’ reappears after several years absence. The funk-edged crowd get the first re-release of Foxfire’s manic take on Fulson’s ‘Tramp’, and new to Kent are Larry [Perault] & Tommy [Bush] doing a version of Shorty Long’s ‘Here Comes The Judge’.
    Four decades of supplying soul and still so much more to come; here’s to the artists, writers, musicians and producers – CHEERS!

• 01 Satisfied Feeling - Mary Love
    • 02 You'd Be Good For Me - Jeanette Jones
    • 03 Gonna Put It On Your Mind - Arthur Adams
    • 04 Tobacco Road North - Tommy Youngblood
    • 05 Jealous Woman - T-Bone Walker
    • 06 Walk The Chalk Line - Aaron Collins & The Teen Queens
    • 07 I've Got Papers On You Baby - B.B. King
    • 08 You Changed Me - Teddy Reynolds & The Twisters
    • 09 Wanting You - Jimmy Bee
    • 10 That's It - Z.Z. Hill
    • 11 Push Me - Lowell Fulson
    • 12 Here Comes The Judge - Larry & Tommy
    • 13 Tramp - Foxfire featuring Johnny Adams
    • 14 Freedom & Justice - Pace-Setters
    • 15 Jimmy's Special - Little Joe Blue
    • 16 Remove My Doubts - Stacy Johnson
    • 17 You Brought It All On Yourself - Clay Hammond
    • 18 It's Crazy Baby - Ike & Tina Turner
    • 19 On My Way Back Home - Flash Terry & his Orch.
    • 20 Mr. Bad Luck - King Solomon
    • 21 Mr. Bus Driver - The Teen Queens
    • 22 No More Tears - The Sweethearts
    • 23 Help Me - Beatrice Lee
    • 24 I'll Let Nothing Come Between Us - Billy Watkins

Various Artists [Kent/ Modern] - For Dancers 40 - Ace Records

Details for LP version [with different track lineup] here.
    Various Artists [KENT LP Series] - For Dancers Forty - Kent Records 1982-2022 - Ace Records
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 10-16-2022 at 06:13 AM.