[REMOVE ADS]

Four Tops - I Can't Help Myself

Nice footage

Easily my favorite Four Tops' Motown track. I remember back in Spring 1965, upon my first hearing of the Four Tops 4th single release, those string arrangements were HOT. They were clearly becoming an important ingredient in what was quickly becoming the magical Motown Sound.

P/M Gary [[my name too) you will love this story. I had a son in my 40s and when he was in kindergarten around 2001 they invited the fathers to come to class and talk about their work. I am a part-time [[formerly full-time) bass player and figured that would be more interesting than my day job as an engineer. I brought in a disc with "Can't Help Myself" to play along with it on bass. As soon as I put it on every single kid in the class - all born 30 years after the song was a hit - got up and started dancing and when it was over they all begged me to play it again! It was such a heartwarming example of how the joy of Motown transcends generations and cultures.

The Four Tops are in their full glory here. Life was good and it shows!!!

great story garyr, Martha Reeves is my niece Myas' Godmother & she is now 34 & still loves all those Motown records.

Quote Originally Posted by garyr View Post
    P/M Gary [[my name too) you will love this story. I had a son in my 40s and when he was in kindergarten around 2001 they invited the fathers to come to class and talk about their work. I am a part-time [[formerly full-time) bass player and figured that would be more interesting than my day job as an engineer. I brought in a disc with "Can't Help Myself" to play along with it on bass. As soon as I put it on every single kid in the class - all born 30 years after the song was a hit - got up and started dancing and when it was over they all begged me to play it again! It was such a heartwarming example of how the joy of Motown transcends generations and cultures.
    Hey Gary! Fun story! It just goes to show you that Motown is timeless for people of all ages.