[REMOVE ADS]

Gino Washington's 1970s Record Productions

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  21.1 KB
    Hi Everyone,

Sorry for posting this thread on The Motown Forum when Gino Washington was never a Motown artist, but I'm worried that the members I hope will participate in this thread, and be capable of answering our questions, might not be looking on The regular Soulful Detroit Forum, and I think those few old-time Detroiters, who worked in the business, and knew Gino, and even worked together with him, look at this forum much more than the other.

I am trying to get some insight into how Gino operated his ATAC, ATAC International, and Perfecta Records during the 1970s, regarding the ownership set-ups, production credits and methods, and facilities used. I am especially interested in finding out why his Perfecta records, and a couple ATAC International releases have evidence of him possibly being in a partnership with a Canadian financier [[and executive producer) named "W. Glenn", and what Glenn's part was in producing those records.

Glenn, and his record production company in Windsor, Ontario, got production credit on Gino's Perfecta Records AT 2880, "I Lost You [[Girl), from 1970. It was. clearly, a subsidiary of his ATAC International Records, and was named by Gino, after he won a bunch of money at the race track. So, we know that Gino owned it, by himself, or it was co-owned, by him, together with a financing partner. Gino wasn't releasing so many records to warrant operating a subsidiary label. So, I suspect this label was a partnership between Gino and a financier. Although Glenn didn't get credits listed on the other Perfecta record, AT 2780, "Hey, Football", also from 1970, but had G+G etched into the trailout, just as AT 2880 did, and a couple of ATAC International releases did [[including AT 2743, "It's Winter[[But I Have Spring Fever)") also from 1970. It seems there was also a G&G Records re-release of "I Lost You [[Girl)" in 1983, by Gino, but listed as "Sir George", which was also pressed up in Detroit [[so Gino was involved). Had Glenn done that alone, I'm guessing that he probably would have pressed it in Canada.

I believe Gino ran the recording sessions, which were all done in Detroit, and the records were all pressed up in Detroit. So, despite Glenn's record production company, listed as operating in Windsor, getting production credit, I believe Glenn's only participation was financing those projects. I assume G & G stands for: "Gino [[or George) and Glenn".

I know several members here know Gino personally, and Dennis Coffey and his partner, Mike Theodore, worked with Gino on several recording sessions during the early '70s. I know Dennis is still posting on SDF from time to time, so, I'm hoping he'll provide some insight into this question. And maybe there are other long-time Detroiters here, who could provide input, as well.

Any help with this would be appreciated.
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-15-2022 at 01:50 PM.

Typing in Gino Washington on Google always produces results on Geno Washington & The Ram Jam Band [[maybe not surprisingly).

I don't have much info for you but 45 cat has several releases listed and quite often folks leave comments for individual released so there may be something in there of interest [[or not as the case may be). Worth a look?

https://www.45cat.com/artist/gino-washington

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Typing in Gino Washington on Google always produces results on Geno Washington & The Ram Jam Band [[maybe not surprisingly).

I don't have much info for you but 45 cat has several releases listed and quite often folks leave comments for individual released so there may be something in there of interest [[or not as the case may be). Worth a look?

https://www.45cat.com/artist/gino-washington
Views: 131
    Thanks for the tip. I've just noticed a comment about the G&G issue on Discogs, stating that the other "G" in G&G stands for "Gil Roberts". Now the overall information is even more murky.

I was suprised at how many times he'd re-issued [[re-recorded?) "Gino Is a Coward" which I'd only heard of through Ric Tic.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I was suprised at how many times he'd re-issued [[re-recorded?) "Gino Is a Coward" which I'd only heard of through Ric Tic.
Views: 122
    I've always liked the original, "I'm A Coward" by him from early 1962, produced by ex-Motowner, Robert Bateman, and arranged by ex-Motowner, Sonny Sanders. But, I guess people often like what they get used to first. It is claimed by a lot of people that The Supremes sang backup on it. But, I'm still not sure. But it was certainly them backing up Wilson Pickett's "Let Me Be Your Boy", recorded at the same time.