[REMOVE ADS]

Ode To The Supremes - Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers

Sorry if this was discussed before, could not find any in the archives.

Finally I got some time to download some of the Motown Unreleased series, only 1963-1969 are on Apple Music.

Have not heard everything yet, but my eye caught this:

℗ A Motown Records Release; ℗ 2018 UMG Recordings, Inc.

Released on: 2018-12-14

Producer: Berry Gordy
    Composer Lyricist: Unknown

Why was this made?

And who wrote this?

And what are your opinions on this?

It's a pretty good track. Notes on DFTMC state that the track was originally for Tammi and Marvin! I also find it interesting because Bobby Taylor became a huge critic of Diana Ross.

At the time of the release, these were the recording details [more than DFTMC provides]:

Produced by Berry Gordy. Track recorded November 8, 1967; lead vocal recorded at Golden World December 8, 1967; background voices recorded January 31, 1968.

I know that DFTMC lists there being a late 1967 demo recorded and assigned/intended for Marvin and Tammi, but... part of me thinks, "There's nothing about the lyrics we hear in this Bobby Taylor version that makes me say, 'Marvin and Tammi would sing this song.'" However, Bobby Taylor [who was brought to Berry's/Motown's attention by Mary and Flo who attended BT&TV's performances in Vancouver, BC] might have had a reason to sing a song spouting praises of The Supremes. Also interesting is that this song isn't an ode to DIANA ROSS AND The Supremes, but... just...The Supremes. Sort of surprised Berry, after pushing through the elevation of Diana's name in the billing, wouldn't have had this tweaked.

Sadly, I believe Bobby Taylor has passed, so... we'll never know the story of this track from him personally. I doubt Berry would remember--or share info.

Oh--and the backing track sounds more like The Vancouvers than The Funk Brothers. Neat tribute to The Supremes' successes up to that point, but... there is something a little odd about it, too.

An interesting track and Bobby sounds good. It would be nice to know what it's purpose was. I do remember Bobby crediting Mary and Flo with bringing him to Berry Gordy's attention.

I think it's also interesting that when the background singers [[not the Andantes so I'm not sure who - Telma? Joyce?) are listing their hits they mention "Ask Any Girl" and "Whisper You Love Me Boy."

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I think it's also interesting that when the background singers [[not the Andantes so I'm not sure who - Telma? Joyce?) are listing their hits they mention "Ask Any Girl" and "Whisper You Love Me Boy."
    Ask Any Girl and Whisper were both b-sides included on Greatest Hits 1&2, which would have been on the charts when this recorded in 1967.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Citing those two songs, maybe the root of the creation of the "Ode" song was the "DRATS Greatest Hits" double-album that was doing so well on the charts at that time?

**Lucky2012 beat me to posting the same thing by less than a minute!

how does the timeline for this song compare with the timing for DMF doing "we couldn't get along without you" as that tribute to Berry?

wasn't We Couldn't done for a company event or something? it certainly was never considered for a release. was this Ode sort of the same way? true they're praising the Supremes and frankly if this was for an event it would probably be directed more to Diana.

but it wouldn't surprise me a bit to have had some big Christmas party or event with all of the staff and artists and families etc all there and they performed this or played it with Diana seated center, and M and F [[or cindy) standing next to her. and all of the other artists like "oh yeah. another tribute SMH"

This isn't the version I heard on an old tape by an unidentified artist. That version was absolutely diabolical.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    how does the timeline for this song compare with the timing for DMF doing "we couldn't get along without you" as that tribute to Berry?

wasn't We Couldn't done for a company event or something? it certainly was never considered for a release. was this Ode sort of the same way? true they're praising the Supremes and frankly if this was for an event it would probably be directed more to Diana.

but it wouldn't surprise me a bit to have had some big Christmas party or event with all of the staff and artists and families etc all there and they performed this or played it with Diana seated center, and M and F [[or cindy) standing next to her. and all of the other artists like "oh yeah. another tribute SMH"
    In the archives I found this thread from 2018 about "we couldn't get along without you"

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...thout-You-quot

Around the same time there was the Velvelttes, "Ain't No Place Like Motown"

Motown did a lot of celebration and self appreciation

I wonder if this Ode to the Supremes was meant to just stay in house/corporate?

Thanks for your contribution and opinion all fellow forum members, my Motown family.

I'm starting to get an idea where these Motown promo songs where used. I remember reading the prize nominated book "Detroit 67, the year that changes soul", by Stuart Cosgrove.

I have to re-read to confirm but I believe around 1967 Motown put on a big trade show in Detroit, or somewhere else. As I can remember, this was a lavish party, lasting several days and it would make sense to praise your company by your own artists with all the business people in one place.

If anyone can add, please...In the mean time I try to find the source of this trade fair in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    Thanks for your contribution and opinion all fellow forum members, my Motown family.

I'm starting to get an idea where these Motown promo songs where used. I remember reading the prize nominated book "Detroit 67, the year that changes soul", by Stuart Cosgrove.

I have to re-read to confirm but I believe around 1967 Motown put on a big trade show in Detroit, or somewhere else. As I can remember, this was a lavish party, lasting several days and it would make sense to praise your company by your own artists with all the business people in one place.

If anyone can add, please...In the mean time I try to find the source of this trade fair in the book.
    I think there was a big convention in late summer 1967, held at the Hotel Ponterain [[sp) in Detroit.

'm a sucker for a good timeline. Based on everyone's thoughts above [[and my own which agrees with those thoughts), I think it's safe to say this was conceived after the Supremes Greatest Hits LP was released, which was August 29th, 1967.

Based on the song itself, and the timeline danman provided:

Track recorded November 8, 1967.

Lead vocal recorded December 8, 1967.

Background voices recorded January 31, 1968.

So based on the facts presented above, I'm curious your thoughts:

I know many songs were conceived and working titles were given throughout the process, but to me this one was specific to the release of the Greatest Hits album, or at least wasn't thought of prior. So basically within a two month span, the music was laid out, but do you think the lyrics were written at that same time? Or do you think that the track was laid down in November, and it gave the writers a month to come up with the lyrics, which were then recorded in December? Odd again, that basically another two months passes before the background vocals were added. If there was such a "rush" [[if that's the right word) to coat tail with this release, it seems like more effort would have been put in, and things would have transpired more quickly. By 1968 when this was finished and would have been released, the DRATS were well on to the Reflections album, having already released the title track and In and Out of Love.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    'm a sucker for a good timeline. Based on everyone's thoughts above [[and my own which agrees with those thoughts), I think it's safe to say this was conceived after the Supremes Greatest Hits LP was released, which was August 29th, 1967.

Based on the song itself, and the timeline danman provided:

Track recorded November 8, 1967.

Lead vocal recorded December 8, 1967.

Background voices recorded January 31, 1968.

So based on the facts presented above, I'm curious your thoughts:

I know many songs were conceived and working titles were given throughout the process, but to me this one was specific to the release of the Greatest Hits album, or at least wasn't thought of prior. So basically within a two month span, the music was laid out, but do you think the lyrics were written at that same time? Or do you think that the track was laid down in November, and it gave the writers a month to come up with the lyrics, which were then recorded in December? Odd again, that basically another two months passes before the background vocals were added. If there was such a "rush" [[if that's the right word) to coat tail with this release, it seems like more effort would have been put in, and things would have transpired more quickly. By 1968 when this was finished and would have been released, the DRATS were well on to the Reflections album, having already released the title track and In and Out of Love.
    i think the music and the lyrics could and would have been done separately. everything was assembly line so producers would have been leveraging studio time whenever they could. they would go ahead and knock out a bunch of songs in order to get the tracks ready. they might not have ANY lyrics yet but they had a song or melody in their head. sometimes like on Little Bright Star they'd completely redo the lyrics again and again.

i also wonder if they maybe dreamt up this ditty for promotional use for the GH album. that album was by far the most massive thing released by motown to date. was on the charts forever, went #1 and sold millions. they might have done this for a radio promo, for a spotlight on a local teen tv show - maybe the show was highlighting this incredibly popular album and the teens danced to this track. who knows. would this have been an album track for an artist or a single - undoubtedly not. but could have been used in other purposes

Definitely not a single or a chart topper to my ears, but cute and quirky, along the lines of "We Couldn't Get Along Without You".