[REMOVE ADS]

12 Minute Andantes Docu

I somehow missed this. Posting in case others have too:

https://www.allarts.org/programs/all...-blend-ntgoy1/

it's not available in Canada, or at least to me. I tried Apple TV because it was in the advertisement, but still nothing. It looks like it was a Detroit PBS release. How was it, anything new?

That was a lovely piece on The Andantes. Mostly talking about how they enhanced the many recordings they were on. Nice comments from Smokey & Mary Wilson.

I'm not sure how I missed this before, being a serious Andantes fan and all, but what a beautiful interview with Louvain Demps and Jackie Hicks of The Andantes. Especially touching was when Louvain shared her feelings about the loss of Andante Marlene Barrow who was the one who always ironed out any problems that cropped up and kept the group going strong. It was especially sad when Louvain broke down and shed a tear for Marlene who she truly loved and still misses so.

Wow! This was more than great; this was more that wonderful. Such a beautiful, moving narrative of these three wonderful women. If they sang on the specific song titles mentioned, I actually learned something that contradicts what other sources have said. Thank you for posting!

This was so good. An important piece of Motown's history, for sure. Thank you for posting.

I never heard of them doing background on Dancing In the Street. I thought it was Roz, Betty, Ivy Jo Hunter and Mickey Stevenson. Also notice Mary says with the Supremes, the Andantes helped fill out the sound?

This was EXTREMELY well done in every aspect from video editing to motion graphics and all points in between. While I was glad to see documentaries done for Darlene Love, the Wrecking Crew and of course the Funk Brothers, there should be one done for the Andantes on a wide scale. They were an integral part of the Motown sound as we can all agree upon.

This is really good. VERY good. The ladies are getting some well-deserved attention and within one of the largest, mainstream organizations, being that this was done in conjunction with AARP. What really struck me is something Ivy Jo Hunter said, something I had read in print before: the mics tell you what you're working with and sometimes you needed the Andantes to augment that sound. Also of note, it was said none of the groups minded this. This reminds me of comments made by members of The Exciters. They recalled too how they actually welcomed having professional singers augmenting them on their records because they wanted their music to sound professional. I guess it really all depends on what end of history you're looking at things. The artists back then were all young and seemed to not mind that record companies would use professional session singers to smooth out their records, and that would seem to include Motown and their singers. On the other hand, all us latter-day fans have taken great offense at this practice and debate who sang on what and how dare Motown do this or that, not having the perspective of the practices of the times AT that time. Thank you marybrewster for posting this. I think I recall when it came out, but I just kind of passed on it thinking it would be something lightweight and superficial, but this is really amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    This is really good. VERY good. The ladies are getting some well-deserved attention and within one of the largest, mainstream organizations, being that this was done in conjunction with AARP. What really struck me is something Ivy Jo Hunter said, something I had read in print before: the mics tell you what you're working with and sometimes you needed the Andantes to augment that sound. Also of note, it was said none of the groups minded this. This reminds me of comments made by members of The Exciters. They recalled too how they actually welcomed having professional singers augmenting them on their records because they wanted their music to sound professional. I guess it really all depends on what end of history you're looking at things. The artists back then were all young and seemed to not mind that record companies would use professional session singers to smooth out their records, and that would seem to include Motown and their singers. On the other hand, all us latter-day fans have taken great offense at this practice and debate who sang on what and how dare Motown do this or that, not having the perspective of the practices of the times AT that time. Thank you marybrewster for posting this. I think I recall when it came out, but I just kind of passed on it thinking it would be something lightweight and superficial, but this is really amazing.
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Temptations dislike having additional background vocalists because the sound couldn't be duplicated live? Am I imagining this?

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Temptations dislike having additional background vocalists because the sound couldn't be duplicated live? Am I imagining this?
    I'm not sure if that was THE reason, but I CAN say with certainty that I had read that the Temptations did not want the Andantes on their records- it may have been specifically after "It's Growing." I can imagine, you're a group of very young guys, in your 20s, and you're thinking that you want to retain your own vocal identity. However, I always had the feeling Motown sorta "snuck" The Andantes in on "Get Ready." It's very subtle. I had the chance to ask Louvain on Facebook and she said yes, they were added onto that record. I had to chuckle, because I thought how keen my ears were to have caught that back when I was in my teens.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  21.1 KB
    Glad to see this documentary now. I'd miss a lot of videos like this if not for other SDF members. Thanks for posting it. Their music brought a lot of joy into my life. And I'm glad to have had the opportunity to enjoy some online conversations with Louvain. She is a very nice person.

Gary, no, you aren't wrong, nor are you imagining it. The Temptations went running to Berry, complaining that when they performed "It's Growing" live on stage, somebody in the audience hollered, "Hey, where are the girls?!!! Berry honored The Tempts' wishes, and that was the end of The Andantes duetting with The Tempts. [NOTE: However, an Andantes'-backed track or two did indeed manage to slip through on an album.or two after that. Off-hand, "Just Another Lonely Night" from "The Temptin' Temptatiins" LP contains The Andantes. Personally speaking, the song is gorgeous, and I cannot imagine it without Louvain, Jackie, and Marlene. Their harmonies are ethereal, giving the track a Heavenly feel. Magical Motown perfection at its finest!!!]

The Tempts & The Andantes:
    "Just Another Lonely Night"
    https://youtu.be/VgqPONcIPwk
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-17-2022 at 04:13 AM.

"We're sorry, but this video is not available"

Best regards
    Heikki

This sounds a wonderful documentary. But sadly not available here in UK.

I don't hear any Andantes on "Dancing In the Street".

Great ladies and a lovely documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Gary, no, you aren't wrong, nor are you imagining it. The Temptations went running to Berry, complaining that when they performed "It's Growing" live on stage, somebody in the audience hollered, "Hey, where are the girls?!!! Berry honored The Tempts' wishes, and that was the end of The Andantes duetting with The Tempts. [NOTE: However, an Andantes'-backed track or two did indeed manage to slip through on an album.or two after that. Off-hand, "Just Another Lonely Night" from "The Temptin' Temptatiins" LP contains The Andantes. Personally speaking, the song is gorgeous, and I cannot imagine it without Louvain, Jackie, and Marlene. Their harmonies are ethereal, giving the track a Heavenly feel. Magical Motown perfection at its finest!!!]

The Tempts & The Andantes:
    "Just Another Lonely Night"
    https://youtu.be/VgqPONcIPwk
    Thanks for this. "Just Another Lonely Night" is my favorite Paul Williams led song. Literally brings me to tears I'm not ashamed to say.

I think my favorite Andantes moment is "Baby I Need Your Loving". They just sound so good with the guys on that one and really add something special to the song that is missing when they perform it live.

Thanks for this. "Just Another Lonely Night" is my favorite Paul Williams led song. Literally brings me to tears I'm not ashamed to say.
    You're very welcome, Gary. Never be ashamed. I've always felt that you know a movie is good if it makes you cry. Double that for music -- especially if you've had a Scotch-On-The-Rocks or two!

Great interview with three lovely ladies who were so important in developing the Motown Sound.

For all those who couldn't watch - https://we.tl/t-FbKY68odRQ?utm_campa...trk=TRN_TDL_05

Thank you so very much motown01 for your generosity and assistance. This is a quality, slick mini docu, it’s wonderful to hear direct from the ladies themselves. I find some of their comments a touch sassy but, hey, they’ve earned themselves the right. I’d love to see more such documentaries from this company. Great job!