[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Forbidden?

Forbidden?

Someone has posted a clip of MR & V singing Taking My Love and Leaving Me, but when I try to access it, I get a message saying I am "forbidden" from accessing it. Are others having that same problem and if so, can anything be done so that we can see that clip?

Try this one.....

The only time[[s) I've received a "forbidden" message from Youtube is when I've tried to access videos in a foreign country to me. I'm in the U.S. It doesn't always happen, but sometimes it says they aren't able to be viewed outside the country they were posted in. It's very odd to me, it's not like anything that's able to be posted on there is outside the rules set by the site, so they should be able to be seen anywhere.

I got ya beat I posted this clip earlier

I think a post ends up as "forbidden" if there is a parentheses or bracket in the title line.

Ah, now I understand the post! Sorry I didn't realize you meant on the forum.

I believe Reese is correct about the parentheses in title line fouling up posting something so it is accessible.

Does anyone know what show this is from? [Looks like a local teen dance show, right?] Martha's hair [not a wig?] really looks great--plus she sounds good singing to the recorded track. [Poor Sandy and Lois, dancing up a storm, still had to lip-synch!] Assuming this was from the early Fall of 1969 since the record was first released in August '69? If they were still singing it, it likely wouldn't have been after the song peaked at Pop #102 and R&B #44. Not a bad song, just not a hit song.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    I believe Reese is correct about the parentheses in title line fouling up posting something so it is accessible.

Does anyone know what show this is from? [Looks like a local teen dance show, right?] Martha's hair [not a wig?] really looks great--plus she sounds good singing to the recorded track. [Poor Sandy and Lois, dancing up a storm, still had to lip-synch!] Assuming this was from the early Fall of 1969 since the record was first released in August '69? If they were still singing it, it likely wouldn't have been after the song peaked at Pop #102 and R&B #44. Not a bad song, just not a hit song.
    All I could make out on the set behind them was "The Show". So possibly that was the title of the show.

BTW: When they performed it on the Mike Douglas show, Martha sang live to the track as well.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I got ya beat I posted this clip earlier
    Sadly your post is Forbidden and doesn't work, hence the re-post here so that folks can see the video. I also tried to re-post it with your title but it's that that seems to be the problem. Great find though - I love the song and the video.

I don't know what Quality Control was smoking when they issued this as a single. They had a gold nugget with "Shoe Leather Expressway" but instead they released this album filler instead. It's an okay song but nothing special. No wonder Martha was ticked off with not scoring hits at this time.

Lois and Sandy are dancing up a storm and Martha is the opposite looking disinterested.

It almost sounds to me that all three were singing over the recorded track

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I don't know what Quality Control was smoking when they issued this as a single. They had a gold nugget with "Shoe Leather Expressway" but instead they released this album filler instead. It's an okay song but nothing special. No wonder Martha was ticked off with not scoring hits at this time.

Lois and Sandy are dancing up a storm and Martha is the opposite looking disinterested.
    I'm just thinking aloud on this one [not citing facts], but... maybe George Gordy [writing with Bo Story] got the single release advantage over Frank Wilson due to nepotism-like reasons? I do agree with you--Shoe Leather Expressway was an upbeat dance tune whereas Taking My Love was an OK tune. Like you said, album filler. Martha struggled with quality releases by 1969 and beyond.

I had written Motown at the time & told them they had a hit with "Shoe Leather Expressway" but unlike my former letters from the 60's I did not get a reply.I also think "It Ain't Like That" was hit material. Martha was upset, "Sugar & Spice" was a great LP.

Did Martha just wake up from a nap? She looks bored and tired. Meanwhile Sandy and Lois are being extra.

I agree with the sentiments here. The girls seemed much more energetic than Martha did. As for single releases, It Ain't Like That, I'm a Winner, Shoe Leather, and even Soul Appeal would have been better choices for single release.

I love the "Sugar & Spice" album, and the front-cover photo is my favorite of all their LP covers. When I first heard "Taking My Love [[And Leaving Me)" on our local AM radio station in Fall 1969, I raced my way to the local record shop to buy it. I still love it, although, in hindsight, "Shoe-Leather Expressway" and "I'm A Winner" were far more hit-worthy.

BTW, in "Taking My Love [[And Leaving Me)", did anyone else notice Syreeta's voice in the fade-out starting at 2:37? Her voice is already on "Martha's "I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playing" when Mattha refused to finish the song. I wonder why Syreeta's voice is also on "Taking My Love"?

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I love the "Sugar & Spice" album, and the front-cover photo is my favorite of all their LP covers. When I first heard "Taking My Love [[And Leaving Me)" on our local AM radio station in Fall 1969, I raced my way to the local record shop to buy it. I still love it, although, in hindsight, "Shoe-Leather Expressway" and "I'm A Winner" were far more hit-worthy.

BTW, in "Taking My Love [[And Leaving Me)", did anyone else notice Syreeta's voice in the fade-out starting at 2:37? Her voice is already on "Martha's "I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playing" when Mattha refused to finish the song. I wonder why Syreeta's voice is also on "Taking My Love"?

I've also wondered for years what Syreeta was doing in the record? We now know the background story for "Can't Dance", but what is the story behind this one?

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    I've also wondered for years what Syreeta was doing in the record? We now know the background story for "Can't Dance", but what is the story behind this one?
    Syreeta sometimes sang backgrounds on recordings. It's possible she was in the studio and joined the Andantes on this.

She also did a lot of demos during this time too. It could be the remnants of her demo vocal punched into the mix.

Was "Shoe Leather Expressway" a slang term at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Syreeta... also did a lot of demos during this time too. It could be the remnants of her demo vocal punched into the mix.
    I had also thought it might have been possibly the leftovers from a demo vocal Syreeta had done of the song and George Gordy just liked the way it sounded in the final mix.

I remember Martha & them doin "Soul Appeal" on some TV show. I thought that sounded like an unfinished track, did not sound like a Motown record. I guess it was withdrawn as the next release & it seems if my memory serves me correctly that "I Gotta Let You Go" backed by ":You're the Loser Now"[[from Sugar & Spice) was the next 45.I liked the 2 Ashford & Simpson songs the best on Sugar & Spice.

mike Douglas 1969 Taking My love and Soul Appeal

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Did Martha just wake up from a nap? She looks bored and tired. Meanwhile Sandy and Lois are being extra.
    I had the feeling that either A.) Martha was performing in the same downtrodden, forlorn sentiments of the lyrics [[if this is a breakup, sad song, it wouldn't look right to sing with a big, sunny smile) OR B.) Martha just doesn't like this song!

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I remember Martha & them doin "Soul Appeal" on some TV show. I thought that sounded like an unfinished track, did not sound like a Motown record. I guess it was withdrawn as the next release & it seems if my memory serves me correctly that "I Gotta Let You Go" backed by ":You're the Loser Now"[[from Sugar & Spice) was the next 45.I liked the 2 Ashford & Simpson songs the best on Sugar & Spice.
    Another dumb call from Motown. A track from 1964 with vocals from 1970 and Quality Control thought "Hey, this should be their next single!" It sounded so dated. Did Billie Jean Brown have some kind of vengeance against the group? They had such riches sitting in the vaults and did nothing.