[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Revue 2022

Motown Revue 2022

Name:  FB_IMG_1665541616775.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  99.8 KB

These are not the Marvelettes no matter how Kat cares to dress it up. I'm so disappointed in her!

It's great that people can still earn a living and entertain people.

However, I fail to understand why this is named a "Motown Revue", doesn't Universal own the copyrights the the name "Motown"?

I hardly recognize anyone in above billing.

Who is an original member of:
    Contours
    Miracles
    JR Walker all star band
    Marvelettes [[is Kat in it?)

Who is Bernard Gibson and his Temptations Review?

Was Leisa Parham, Serieux and The Stades O' Blue ever signed to Motown? Wasn't Kaaaaaren Ragland available? Or did she had to perform in a trailerpark?

Spyder Turner, on Motown?

I know there are people on this forum who know, so please educate me.

Kaaaaaaren Ragland.....please.....when there's the most famous Supreme of all....Chantel Baker!

I have some of the same issues getting excited about something like this, because Motown as we all knew and loved it has been gone for almost 40 years. However, having said that, the stuff that passes for music today gets on my nerves pretty bad, so anything we can do to make young people realize what music was once like might not be a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I have some of the same issues getting excited about something like this, because Motown as we all knew and loved it has been gone for almost 40 years. However, having said that, the stuff that passes for music today gets on my nerves pretty bad, so anything we can do to make young people realize what music was once like might not be a bad thing.
    Can I get an amen?

I did some research into the groups listed on the poster and this is what I found!

The Contours are [original member] Joe Billingslea's group.

Jr Walker’s All Star Band contains Victor Woods and Tony Washington [who were both members of The All Stars, although Washington left before they joined Motown]. This is according to their Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/100063487299911/

Bernard Gibson was part of Dennis Edwards' Temptations Review from 1993 to 2006.

Mark Scott became lead singer of The Miracles when [original member] Bobby Rogers reformed the group in 2003.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 10-12-2022 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I did some research into the groups listed on the poster and this is what I found!

The Contours are [original member] Joe Billingslea's group.

Jr Walker’s All Star Band contains Victor Woods and Tony Washington [who were both members of The All Stars, although Washington left before they joined Motown]. This is according to their Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/100063487299911/

Bernard Gibson was part of Dennis Edwards' Temptations Review from 1993 to 2006.

Mark Scott became lead singer of The Miracles when [original member] Bobby Rogers reformed the group in 2003.
    And sadly, other than Diana Ross and Stevie Wonder, this is about as original as we are going to get these days.

I’m sure there are licensing arrangements and payments being made to use the music and the names.

Time moves along, things change, even the Queen died - we have to accept these changes.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    And sadly, other than Diana Ross and Stevie Wonder, this is about as original as we are going to get these days.

I’m sure there are licensing arrangements and payments being made to use the music and the names.

Time moves along, things change, even the Queen died - we have to accept these changes.
    Otis is still with us, Martha and Roz, Nettie, Betty, Lois are still here, Duke Smokey, and several Velvelettes. Plus you have the FLOS, and the Jackson 4. So you could still pull off a legit Motown Revue with many of the original players.

Spykie [[Spyder Turner) may not have been on the Motown label but he did have working relations with some of Motown's elite including Norman Whitfield and Clay McMurray.

I agree with the sentiment that, unless the hands of time can be magically turned back for us to all see the original lineups and artists who are no longer with us, I’m happy that this music is still performed live and celebrated. Additionally, however brief the time window may have been, Spyder did record with Motown in the 80s before the label was sold, resulting in the theme song to the Last Dragon film soundtrack [[which was billed as Dwight David - Spyder’s first and middle name).

Hey Drew,
    Long time no see! Hope all is well!!

You're correct. I forgot about the Last Dragon.

Why isnt the First Lady Of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves not headlining this tour. Dr Reeves and her sisters are the REAL DEAL IMO.

Hey Ms. M! Hope all is well on your end too, it's been way too long!

Hey Roberta75, Martha Reeves & the Vandellas probably make more for a night then that whole line-up combined. It looks like this is a one-night deal, not a tour.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    Hey Roberta75, Martha Reeves & the Vandellas probably make more for a night then that whole line-up combined. It looks like this is a one-night deal, not a tour.
    This is very true. Does anyone know what happen to Dr Martha Reeves getting her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I keep checking but the last star was Sarah Brightman earlier in October. Martha is also getting a movie made about her life. 2023 looks like a real great year to be a Dr. Martha Reeves fan. https://www.marthareevesofficial.com/myhollywoodstar

The Shades of Blue have a website and on that website they have pictures. Here is one of the pictures:

Name:  the-shades-of-blue-now04.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  51.4 KB

Notice the logo on the lower right of the picture. I do not recall them ever being signed to Motown.

when I saw the Shades of Blue in the 60's on a "Where the Action is " tour, they were 3 guys & a girl.The lead singer was pretty good.I think their producer &/or label owner ended up at Motown.

Interesting interview with Nick Marinelli -- lead singer of the Shades Of Blue and "Oh How Happy".

https://youtu.be/K5iZfPBbovg

Regarding the Shades of Blue picture on post #17 above; Stuart Avig, lower right, sang with the Valadiers on Motown and with the Reflections; I remember the gentleman on the upper left singing with the Latin Counts; I believe the gentleman on the lower left sang with the Reflections.

This should be called,a motown tribute tour, i'm greatful to have been aroung to see the real motowners in their primes!