[REMOVE ADS]

Edwin Starr-"Edwin Starr [1977 LP]" [UMG]

Info from SecondDisc.com-
    Streaming/Download Release. The first of a few records "War" singer Starr cut for 20th Century-Fox Records, this 1977 LP offers some fine examples of Starr as you loved him on Motown.

Amazon Music-
    Edwin Starr by Edwin Starr on Amazon Music - Amazon.com

iTunes-
    ‎Edwin Starr by Edwin Starr on Apple Music

Tracks:
    Overture: Afternoon Sunshine
    Afternoon Sunshine
    Pretty Girl
    Ruby Begonia
    Eavesdropper
    I Just Wanna Do My Thing
    Mr. Davenport And Mr. James
    Not Having You
    Accident
    Everybody Needs Love
    Edge Of Insanity

Last edited by Motown Eddie; 10-08-2022 at 05:23 AM.

Great news!! I have a vinyl rip of this album which I can now replace with a digital remaster.

To be honest, I can’t remember much of the LP other than my absolute favourite track, "Accident", with its unrelenting Motown swagger!! Now I can listen to the whole album in pristine sound quality.

I’d not paid much attention to one of the tracks on this album, "Mr. Davenport and Mr. James", but it’s a very interesting cut. It appears to be about Edwin's two male neighbours [who live together in the same house]. Although it’s not explicitly mentioned, it seems clear to me that they were a couple. What do you think?

Either way, very much worth a listen.

Last edited by TomatoTom123; 10-11-2022 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I’d not paid much attention to one of the tracks on this album, "Mr. Davenport and Mr. James", but it’s a very interesting cut. It appears to be about Edwin's two male neighbours [who live together in the same house]. Although it’s not explicitly mentioned, it seems clear to me that they were a couple. What do you think?

Just listened to the song and IMHO "Mr. Davenport & Mr. James" is simply about two close friends who lived together and were separated by death [and my take on it is they didn't have to be a couple]. As the song says 'Mr. Davenport' hasn't been the same since losing his friend 'Mr. James'.

good spotting Tom!
    There's room here for speculation, as Motown Eddie hears it .....but really: what is being talked about here ..... the point has been purposely made that they lived together, a song about two close friends doesn't need that detail.

Especially in that era, many a gay couple melted into the background, not bothering anybody and living quietly and insulated in their own world, neighbors you never really knew.

Good for Edwin Starr to record this !!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Info from SecondDisc.com-
    Streaming/Download Release. The first of a few records "War" singer Starr cut for 20th Century-Fox Records, this 1977 LP offers some fine examples of Starr as you loved him on Motown.

Amazon Music-
    Edwin Starr by Edwin Starr on Amazon Music - Amazon.com

iTunes-
    ‎Edwin Starr by Edwin Starr on Apple Music

Tracks:
    Overture: Afternoon Sunshine
    Afternoon Sunshine
    Pretty Girl
    Ruby Begonia
    Eavesdropper
    I Just Wanna Do My Thing
    Mr. Davenport And Mr. James
    Not Having You
    Accident
    Everybody Needs Love
    Edge Of Insanity

"Accident" was released as a single on GTO in the UK in 1976 IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    good spotting Tom!
    There's room here for speculation, as Motown Eddie hears it .....but really: what is being talked about here ..... the point has been purposely made that they lived together, a song about two close friends doesn't need that detail.

Especially in that era, many a gay couple melted into the background, not bothering anybody and living quietly and insulated in their own world, neighbors you never really knew.

Good for Edwin Starr to record this !!
    I agree Boogie!

Its especially the fact that they live together, which is such purposeful part of the story. Not to mention, they argue, pretend to fall out, and then laugh it off [behaviour that, to me, is typical of a couple]. The fact that they are also quite elderly suggests they have been living together for a long time.

And Mr. Davenport is so deeply affected by the loss of Mr. James... it just seems like something stronger than friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    "Accident" was released as a single on GTO in the UK in 1976 IIRC.
    This is my favourite track from the album... lots of energy and great storyline.

This is the same album as recently released on CD by Universal Japan and which I referred to in the "All Quiet On The Motown Front".

See more here ... https://www.discogs.com/release/2369...rr-Edwin-Starr

I just found a great LIVE version of Edwin performing "Accident"...

How great to read about this release. I'm not familiar with Starr's output at 20th Century Fox, so I'll be anxious to hear it. From the description I thought it was to be digital only, but it appears there is a CD available of the album, fortunately.

Regarding "Mr. Davenport and Mr. James," the lyrics are obviously a bit ambiguous so could be interpreted in different ways. But it seems to me the narrative is to imply that the two were a couple. However, some of the lyrics lead me to think that even the singer isn't quite sure. A very unusual song, to be sure.
    Last edited by kenneth; 12-03-2022 at 10:58 AM.

What a great song indeed! And I'm with you that it is about a gay couple. If I am not mistaken, Edwin Starr was gay himself.

Quote Originally Posted by soren1974 View Post
    What a great song indeed! And I'm with you that it is about a gay couple. If I am not mistaken, Edwin Starr was gay himself.
    According to records he was married to Annette and had one son with her.

I've also seen rumours of Edwin having fathered several more children.

Quote Originally Posted by soren1974 View Post
    Thanks soren. I’m glad you hear what I hear!

But, as Soto says, I’m not sure Edwin himself was gay, although I didn’t know him personally.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    How great to read about this release. I'm not familiar with Starr's output at 20th Century Fox, so I'll be anxious to hear it. From the description I thought it was to be digital only, but it appears there is a CD available of the album, fortunately.

Regarding "Mr. Davenport and Mr. James," the lyrics are obviously a bit ambiguous so could be interpreted in different ways. But it seems to me the narrative is to imply that the two were a couple. However, some of the lyrics lead me to think that even the singer isn't quite sure. A very unusual song, to be sure.
    You’re right kenneth, it is quite ambiguous! But, to me, there are several parts within the lyrics that suggest they are indeed a couple [details that otherwise didn’t need to be included/stressed upon]. Thanks for listening anyway!

You’re right kenneth, it is quite ambiguous! But, to me, there are several parts within the lyrics that suggest they are indeed a couple [details that otherwise didn’t need to be included/stressed upon]. Thanks for listening anyway!
    Thanks for bringing this rarely heard track to our attention. I never fail to learn more about the music we love from other members on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post

good point , the narrator , the singer [doesn't have to be Edwin specifically] seems to not connect the dots. He is feeling their pain, from a distance. And they seemed like nice enough folks ....

Sort of a don't ask don't tell kinda narrative.

good point , the narrator , the singer [doesn't have to be Edwin specifically] seems to not connect the dots. He is feeling their pain, from a distance. And they seemed like nice enough folks ....

Sort of a don't ask don't tell kinda narrative.
    You’re right Boogie. All the signs are there but for whatever reason he doesn’t quite see it, or at least he doesn’t say it… explicitly.

I do find this to be a very interesting song… it was written and produced by Edwin himself.

You’re right Boogie. All the signs are there but for whatever reason he doesn’t quite see it, or at least he doesn’t say it… explicitly.

I do find this to be a very interesting song… it was written and produced by Edwin himself.
    I didn't realize Edwin wrote it! Could be an actual occurrence in his life ....

OK Tom .....sooo .... listening to this again I've found a most interesting part to this song .....amusing if nothing else once you notice it...
    Let's see if YOU pick it up ....it's toward the end ......intentional?? .....or not ??

You tell me!!!

I didn't realize Edwin wrote it! Could be an actual occurrence in his life ....
    This was my thinking!!!

OK Tom .....sooo .... listening to this again I've found a most interesting part to this song .....amusing if nothing else once you notice it...
    Let's see if YOU pick it up ....it's toward the end ......intentional?? .....or not ??

You tell me!!!
    Having listened to the last minute-and-a-half five times I still can’t pick this up… other than "I just wanna cry, but I don’t know why" [seems like the situation is pretty self-explanatory to me ].

This was my thinking!!!

Having listened to the last minute-and-a-half five times I still can’t pick this up… other than [seems like the situation is pretty self-explanatory to me ].
    don't over trouble yourself on it ! explanation forthcoming

"I just wanna cry, but I don’t know why" that is a curious line, why does he not know why ???
    he knows somebody's good friend died ...he's witnessing their grief ....isn't that enough?

he knows why ....but is reluctant because the thought of a happy gay couple is just too foreign to put it all together ?.

or is something internal, personal being stirred ??

don't over trouble yourself on it ! explanation forthcoming

"I just wanna cry, but I don’t know why" that is a curious line, why does he not know why ???
    he knows somebody's good friend died ...he's witnessing their grief ....isn't that enough?

he knows why ....but is reluctant because the thought of a happy gay couple is just too foreign to put it all together ?.

or is something internal, personal being stirred ??
    Oh so it was the interesting lyric you meant! I got it right

I meant that it was pretty self-explanatory as to why someone should be upset at the situation. So yeah it is quite a strange line.

Maybe he’s not sure why this has affected him so much, seeing as he didn’t even know their first names. But he’s certainly confused/surprised about how to react, for some reason… maybe one reason in particular…!

Oh so it was the interesting lyric you meant! I got it right

I meant that it was pretty self-explanatory as to why someone should be upset at the situation. So yeah it is quite a strange line.

Maybe he’s not sure why this has affected him so much, seeing as he didn’t even know their first names. But he’s certainly confused/surprised about how to react, for some reason… maybe one reason in particular…!
    when he didn't even know their first names ...good point ...

Hey Tom sorry to take so long in responding ....I PMd you what I'm hearing ...

Now as for ACCIDENT,

I think you've found a song that could be utilized in today's TV advertising