[REMOVE ADS]

Tina Turner Barbie doll from Mattel

Just noticed that this preorder link is now live on Amazon Canada for Mattel's long-awaited Tina Turner doll! Hopefully this will appeal to at least a few SDF members, besides myself? Lol.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09CG4B1Z5?...look_titleToDp

It is already coming out on Oct 13th!

Edit: Just noticed that if you click on the link above and swipe left on the Mattel logo photo, you'll see a 360 video of the doll. Looks awesome!
    Last edited by carlo; 10-07-2022 at 02:07 PM.

Awesome doll! They really did a nice job. Looks like from her big comeback time frame. I remember the jean jacket. Didn't she wear that in the "What's Love Got to Do With It" video?

Barbie and Ken have gotten very creative. They even have dolls commemorating the Mexican Day of the Dead which are really awesome.

Yes, exactly Ken...that's her look from the What's Love Got To Do With It video.

Yes, they've had some great dolls come out in recent years, such as the Ella Fitzgerald and Gloria Estefan dolls [I bought both!] Mattel also finally seems to be branching out by celebrating diversity, in all colours, shapes, sizes and cultures. Last year was the first trans doll [Lavern Cox]. I've also seen a recent doll with vitiligo, one in a wheel chair...etc etc. It's great that they're creating products that reflect the diverse consumer base.

Looks like Mattel did a fine job on their Tina Turner doll [and as kenneth & carlo stated, it looks like it was modeled after Tina's mid '80s comeback look]. And I agree with kenneth that Mattel is creating dolls that reflect a diverse customer base.

Well, for a doll, that’s pretty cool. Although I don't own any, I appreciate the appeal, especially dolls of this sort!!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Yes, exactly Ken...that's her look from the What's Love Got To Do With It video.

Yes, they've had some great dolls come out in recent years, such as the Ella Fitzgerald and Gloria Estefan dolls [I bought both!] Mattel also finally seems to be branching out by celebrating diversity, in all colours, shapes, sizes and cultures. Last year was the first trans doll [Lavern Cox]. I've also seen a recent doll with vitiligo, one in a wheel chair...etc etc. It's great that they're creating products that reflect the diverse consumer base.
    I have seen those as well. Honestly, I never knew what that condition of the skin was called until my sister told me about that doll. So I guess it has gone some way to educating me, which I guess is its purpose also.

I'd love to get these but they are rather expensive, $80 here in the US.

Name:  1662630251_youloveit_com_barbie_dia_de_muertos_doll_2022.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:  71wb0Ix1PiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  92.6 KB

Vitiligo is also the same condition that Michael Jackson had.

Love the fine details on those dolls, Kenneth.

Fun - the anorexic legs kinda creep me out. Not sure if I will buy one but I love the news.

Here's an article about the Tina Turner Doll from Rolling Stone.com-

The “Queen of Rock n’ Roll” is back, but this time in plastic. Dropping a little before the 40th anniversary of Tina Turner‘s chart-topping 1984 hit singleWhat’s Love Got to Do With It“, Turner fans can now celebrate the icon with a brand new Barbie doll collectible ready to rock out on display.
    With a look styled after the instantly-recognizable music video [[and that hairstyle!), the new Tina Turner doll joins the ranks of other musicians like Gloria Estefan, Elvis Presley, and David Bowie honored in the Barbie Signature Music Collection. The Turner doll is available to purchase online at sites like Amazon, Target, and Walmart for $55 — though the limited-edition doll has already sold out at some retailers.

Turner herself worked closely with the Barbie team at Mattel to help create the look of the doll. “I am honored to welcome my Barbie into the group of trailblazing women already represented and introduce more kids to my journey,” said Tina Turner in a press release. The Mattel design team paid close attention to the video’s signature details, from black mini dress paired with a denim jacket, to the sleek, black tights and high heels, and the over-the-top 80s-styled hair.

The Private Dancer-era Turner Barbie is one of a few recent Barbies dedicated to the rock legends and music icons over the last couple of years — the toy company previously launched another limited-run Gloria Estefan collectible celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month, and the 33rd anniversary of her 1989 hit, “Get on Your Feet” [and Estefan’s own birthday]. Since these are limited-edition releases, some have been harder to find since their initial launch than others [the Ziggy Stardust Barbie, in particular], but you can still find the Turner doll on Amazon at the time of this writing.

Besides the latest Barbie release, the legacy of “What’s Love Got to Do With It” lives on through a 2020 reimagining of the megahit. Turner actually came out of retirement at age 80 to release a Kygo remix of “What’s Love Got to Do With It.” The new dancefloor-ready rendition also came with a brand new visual.
    Turner’s last studio album, Twenty Four Seven, was released more than two decades ago in 1999. She currently lives in Switzerland with her husband, Erwin Bach, and told the New York Times in 2019 that she has no plans of returning to her music career: “I don’t sing. I don’t dance. I don’t dress up.” A documentary on Turner’s life premiered on HBO Max last year.

Whether you’re a die-hard Tina Turner fan, or looking for the perfect present, pick up the legend’s new Barbie before it runs out. The doll is available for purchase on MattelCreations.com, as well as Amazon, Target, and Walmart right now.