[REMOVE ADS]

1965; Newsweek article on Motown

Anyone know how I can see this actual article ?
    Is it available to view on-line ?
    Attachment 19978

Big in UK soul clubs in the mid to late 60's ...

I bought that 45 in a cut out bin for .39 cents in 1966 only because it was on SOUL label.Did the Hit Pack have any other releases? I seem to remember that Newsweek Article but wasn't anything we fans didn't know & some incorrect statements.

Hit Pack was the Staunton Walker team with Robert Dobyne on vocals.
    There were a few tracks in the vaults...some on CDs a few years ago

thanks, snakepit...the above posted recording sounds different from my original 45. The above sounds fuller & more modern?

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Anyone know how I can see this actual article ?
    Is it available to view on-line ?
    Nice find! While I don't know if the article can be viewed anywhere online, it's interesting that Newsweek would mention The Hit Pack's "Never Say No Your Baby" [one of the lesser known Motown Classics from 1965].

motony

here is a postingfrom the great site Motown Junkies.
    explains some of the Hit Pack mystery and the incredible rant by Robert Dobyne, claiming that Berry pulled a gun on him.

https://motownjunkies.co.uk/2012/12/...comment-176631

wow, I don't doubt some of that story. Thanks for the link.

I bought a copy of this issue of Newsweek last week. The story was only 2 columns and not all that enlightening, especially to most of us. The bonus is a photo of the Supremes and BG that I hadn't seen before, which appears to have been taken in his office.
    So here it is for everyone to see....
    Darin

Name:  Newsweek Motown.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  108.9 KB

Here's two unissued Hit Pack records. Both Stunning!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dwsheffer View Post
    i bought a copy of this issue of newsweek last week. The story was only 2 columns and not all that enlightening, especially to most of us. The bonus is a photo of the supremes and bg that i hadn't seen before, which appears to have been taken in his office.
    So here it is for everyone to see....
    darin

Name:  Newsweek Motown.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  108.9 KB
    many thanks.

Just a quick mention again for "Never Say No To Your Baby" ... it is said that this 45 'stiffed' in both the US & UK. That's not completely true.
    Back in March / May 65, the BBC were still ruling the airwaves over the UK, though the off-shore ship based pirate stations were starting to build up a large audience of listeners. BBC radio was years 'out-of-date' featuring lots of live big bands fronted by mediocre singers doing cover versions of current hit songs. They also seemed to have a brief to feature UK recorded 45 tracks as against US product. So, on most occasions they would play the UK cover version ahead of the US original on their disc orientated shows. The pirate stations were 100% disc based and would play any 45 they got hold of that the DJ's liked. So Motown recordings were heard a lot on the pirate stations but not on the BBC.
    The Hit Pack 45 escaped here in May 65 and was given a small publicity push by EMI [[see ad). This led it to becoming known to UK record collectors and mod / soul club DJ's.
    I heard it being played in the clubs I was attending at the time [[in northern England) and the track became a bit of a favourite dance track for a few weeks.
    We were all still young at the time [[I was still in school and & approaching my 16th birthday), so money was in short supply. I wanted the 45 but others took priority at the time. A year later I had a job and had started to 'buy' 45's I hadn't been able to afford a year or so earlier. The Hit Pack 45 was one of the first of these I went after & obtained a copy of. With so many great soul dance records coming out at that time [[65/66/67), the Hit Pack 45 was soon replaced in the clubs by newer releases as the DJ's chased the latest sounds. It always did remain a very collectable item with UK Motown fans though, even though most had never actually heard it played in a club.
    Attachment 19989

Good account of the period re radio, clubs etc

It seems the Hit Pack 45 wasn't a total failure in the US either.
    The B side of the Soul label single made the Top 30 of a radio stn chart in Pittsburgh in mid April 65 ...
    Attachment 19997