[REMOVE ADS]

70's Supremes in Concert

Re: the 70's Supremes, there's always talk about the should'ves in concert; less showtunes, no "Can't Take My Eyes Off You", full versions of the hits.

What's your dream concert for each line up? Assume it's a 90 minute show, with no more than 15 tunes.

Here's my JML:

Intro: Reflections [[Mary)
    60's Medley: [[Jean)
    STOP! / WDOLG / Love Child
    Automatically Sunshine [[Jean/Mary)
    Nathan Jones [[JML in unison)
    Stevie Wonder Medley: [[Lynda)
    For Once / If You Really Love Me / Signed Sealed
    Bad Weather [[Jean)
    Back In My Arms Again [[Mary)
    You Keep Me Hangin' On [[Lynda)
    Everybody's Got the Right [[Jean)
    Touch [[Mary / Jean)
    Smokey Robinson Medley:
    My Guy [[Mary) / Shop Around [[Lynda) / Mess Bill [[Jean)
    Floy Joy [[Mary / Jean) into Your Wonderful SSL [[Jean)
    Outro: Up the Ladder [[Jean)
    Encore: Stoned Love [[Lynda Intro, Jean)

I'm going to be honest. Of the 70s Supremes, I only have "dream" concerts for the Jean groupings, so I'll focus on those. Mary your lineup is very good. I had a Smokey medley on one of mine in a previous thread about the Japan album. I won't duplicate it here. So this is one of my dream lineups for MJL:

I would have them open with Up the Ladder, after which:

Everybody's Got the Right To Love [[Jean)
    You're So Vain [[Jean)
    Killing Me Softly [[Mary)

Next "Reflections" and the ladies do something wild and different with it, something very 1973, which segues into the 60s medley:

Come See About Me [[Jean)- Love Is Here and Now You're Gone [[Jean)- My World Is Empty [[Mary)- You Keep Me Hangin On [[Lynda)- I Hear A Symphony [[Jean)

Nathan Jones [[Unison)
    River Deep [[Jean)
    Let's Stay Together [[Lynda)
    Precious Little Things [[Jean)
    Bad Weather [[Jean)
    You Can't Hurry Love [[Lynda)
    Touch [[Mary sings it all)
    Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet [[Unison)
    Floy Joy [[Mary and Jean)
    Automatically Sunshine [[Mary and Jean)
    Someday We'll Be Together [[each lady sings a verse)
    Stoned Love [[Jean)

MJC:

This Is the Story [[Jean)
    River Deep, Mountain High [[Jean)
    I Feel the Earth Move [[Jean)

60s Medley:

You Can't Hurry Love [[Jean)- Come See About Me [[Cindy)- WDOLG [[Mary)- I Hear A Symphony [[Jean)- Someday We'll Be Together [[Jean and Mary)

Nathan Jones [[unison)
    I Wish I Were Your Mirror [[Jean)
    Everybody's Got the Right to Love [[Jean)

Right On Medley:

I Got Hurt- Baby, Baby- Then I Met You- The Loving Country

Up the Ladder [[Jean)
    Touch [[Mary and Jean)
    I Wish I Were Your Mirror [[Jean)
    Silly, Wasn't I [[Mary)

Here Comes the Sunrise [[Jean)
    Stoned Love [[Jean)
    It's So Hard For Me To Say Goodbye [[Jean)

Off top of my head [[may have to re order set list); Early 1971, New Ways but Love Stays Tour.

Up the Ladder
    Together We can make sweet music
    Come Together
    It's Time to Break Down
    Someday We'll be Together
    Everybody's got the right to love [[J M and C each get a verse)
    Then We Can Try again
    Bridge over Trouble Water
    60s hit medley [[Reflections/My World/Come See About Me/Stop)
    Quiet Nights/Once I Loved [[Jobim songs) Mary solo
    He Ain't Heavy He's My brother [[Jean solo)
    River Deep Mountain High
    Loving Country
    Thank him for Today which can segue into...
    Stone Love

i'm going to change it up a little and do ideal/dream concerts for some of the album tours i wish they would have undertaken.

first up is the Floy Joy tour. and since the album artwork is so iconic, they would want to incorporate elements of it. I'm listing out the "big city" version of the show as they'd have to have some ability to adapt to different venue sizes. this would be for LA, Vegas, etc

gowns - they'd commission a few new outfits to complement existing stagewear, keeping in a theme of white, pinks and reds. they would also build off the new look they wore on the cover by not sticking to identical outfits for all three. the outfit would be by 1 designer so it is still cohesive but the cut of the dress, slits and keyholes, hats, accessories would vary. Plus they could still include the pink pantsuits from Glen Campbell, the red pantsuit from Sullivan and the red stars dress worn for the Touch photo shoot, the white minidresses from central park, the white ponchos from Andy Williams. they'd do two or so changes per show

staging - the backdrop for the stage is white with swags of pinks and reds, a subtle use of some palm fronds [[like in the FJ photo shoot pics) in the backdrop to add texture and color. plus some palms placed around the staging. center in the design is a panel with the Floy Joy title emblazed on it, in red, in the font from the album. this panel is at the top of a white staircase with red trim or handrails

Opening - starting with just percussion and bongos from many measures. then adding in more instruments. finally the familiar guitar line from Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love begins and vamps, getting the crowd eager. at the appropriate time the central Floy Joy panel of the set would open, revealing the Supremes sitting around the glamorous cafe patio set and palms from the album. the girls are standing frozen and the music [[and applause) swells. jean picks up the hand mic and starting singing and the girls descend from the platform to the stage and do YWSSL

stage dialog welcoming fans to the show and highlighting the new album from Smokey and how they appeared on his show not long ago. so let's do a Smokey medley

medley [[jean leads unless noted) - Going to a go go, tears of a clown, tracks of my tears [[mary), don't mess with bill, you really got a hold on me [[lynda), my guy

stage dialog - mary says "hey did you know we did some smokey songs WAAAAAYYY back in the day? Lynda makes a funny line like "yeah i remember hearing those when i was a little girl!" Mary gives look

short Sup Smokey medley - you bring back memories [[jean), Breathtaking guy [[lynda with jean and mary on the chorus), your heart belongs to me [[mary). only brief snippets of each.

60s medley - stop, you keep me hanging on, reflections, my world is empty

men section - instead of using Love the One You're With, they could please Nathan Jones and Floy Joy off of each other. so this would be a large section of the show using the dialog they used for LTOYW but would lead into the cheater Nathan Jones. but then they'd follow that with dialog [[started by mary) about sometimes it's just too hard to break away, some good sugar is still good sugar, etc. That goes into an extended Floy Joy where they bring some of the men up on stage, dance with them. this whole segment ends with Everybody's Got the Right. all three songs are performed in whole, this isn't a medley but a large section

mary dialog and then A Heart Like Mine

intermission

now the bitter, now the sweet - the band starts to vamp and groove. the ladies return in new outfits

Touch

Stoned Love

A contemporary medley of some sort - perhaps they do selections from Jesus Christ Superstar or Godspell or pop hits

Automatically Sunshine/O Happy day

encore 1 - heaven help us all

encore 2 - wisdom of time

I think jean ,Lynda and Mary were a great line up.
    Off the top of my head
    River Deep mountain high
    Stop !
    Medley of hits, come see about me,my world is empty, you can't hurry love.
    Up the ladder to the roof
    You move me
    But I love you more
    Everybody's got the right
    Touch
    Love Is Here and Now
    Together we can
    Stoned love
    It's time to break down,shine on me medley
    When can brown begin
    You keep me hanging
    Reflections
    Your wonderful sweet love
    Floy joy
    Over n over
    Automatically
    Heart like mine
    Bad weather
    Now the bitter now the sweet
    Wisdom of time
    Someday we'll be together
    Last edited by daviddh; 10-02-2022 at 10:47 AM.

Sherrie,Mary susaye
    High energy
    Let yourself go
    stoned love
    nathan jones... Mary lead
    Bend a little
    Color my world blue
    Can we love again
    Can stop a girl
    Sha la bandit
    up the ladder to the roof...floy joy ..automatically sunshine
    your wonderful sweet sweet love
    Driving wheel
    Your what's missing in my life
    touch
    medleys of 60s hits
    bad weather
    Sweet dream machine
    You are the heart of me
    Love feels so good to me
    you keep me hangin on
    gonna let my heart do the walking
    when can brown begin
    Last edited by daviddh; 10-02-2022 at 01:04 PM.

for MSS i was thinking their tour to promote MS&S could be something high gloss. Glam, sexy. maybe the title of the tour is "Sweet Dreams" or Love Feels So Good

the set - lots of chrome accents on the set, silvers, high-gloss black, red. a higher platform in back with a staircase descending down.

sexy wrap gowns like their red sequin ones. no pantsuits but more form fitting outfits with slits and open backs and all. although those baggy Jesus robes were far too bulky, the pic of MSS on the back of HE with the serious sexy looks, is sort of the image

Opening number - the girls are posed at the top of the stairs, like a live version of the HE album. mary in middle, looking straight out. S and S on either side, facing to the side doing the Stop! gesture. The intro to Sweet Dream Machine starts up and is an extended opening. the girls eventually descend the stairs and sing SDM

Let Yourself Go

70s medley - Ladder, Automatically Sunshine, Nathan Jones, Floy Joy

You're what's missing

60s medley - with the songs done true to the original speed and style WDOLG, Come See About Me, Symphony
    then a brief dialog of how these were the dance songs of the 60s but now are at the disco and then a second medley of 60s hits but totally disco-fied Stop, Itching, You keep me hangin on

You are the heart of me and segueing into We should be closer

He's my man - bringing up men from the audience

intermission

Come Into My Life

Women's segment doing an update of the Love The One You're With concept and start with Don't Want To Be Tied Down. then maybe dialog about the power of girls and girlfriends, being at the disco but not needing a man, women dance songs being hits.

medley of women songs - Fly Robin Fly [[Susaye) More More More [[scherrie) love to love you baby [[Mary) Love Hangover [[trio)

Walking is final part of women's segment

Free - intro dialog about how women are songwriters now too. and leads into Susaye talking about writing Free

Love I never knew